Help, Pan Size For A Cake Tomorrow!

Decorating By LisaI Updated 20 Aug 2008 , 7:52pm by LisaI

LisaI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaI Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 3:32pm
post #1 of 3

Sorry to ask without searching more icon_redface.gif , but I must hurry to get this done. Friends asked me this am if I could do a cake for them. I am excited and happy to do it, but need to buy some supplies since I haven't done a cake to serve this many before. icon_surprised.gif I am a hobby decorator, not a business or anything.

It is a BC frosted cake for 25-30 people by tomorrow, nothing fancy. I am finding differing servings for the pan size in searching, and am getting confused. I understand that party size slices are 1 1/2 x 2. I think with two layers they may cut it this size, but I also know these people and wouldn't be surprised if they want larger slices... icon_smile.gif 2 x 3 inches wouldn't surprise me. And I want to be sure there is enough cake, so I'd rather do too much than cut it close.

I need to buy the sheet pan as I don't have one. I want to do two layers.
SO my question is what size pan do I need to get?

Will a flower nail or two be enough for a heat core in the size you are recommending?

I'm guessing that when they talk servings they aren't concerned with the height of the cake?

Any tips or suggestions and advise would be welcome. But don't worry that I'm being taken advantage of, they were fine with it if I didn't have enough time and said no - but I wanted to do it. thumbs_up.gif

2 replies
cakeladyem Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeladyem Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 4:47pm
post #2 of 3

I would think an 11x13 would be enough, if you are doing 2 layers. And a flower nail in that works fine. That is if you are wanting a sheet cake. If you want a round cake, 12" should be good, and a square 10x10. Heating core works well in the 12", but if you can't get one, just use the flower nail, same with the 10x10. Good luck!

LisaI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaI Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 7:52pm
post #3 of 3

Thank you cakeladyem!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%