Poured Foundant - Something Went Wrong!

Decorating By SamsCakes Updated 21 Aug 2008 , 3:44am by sugarshack

SamsCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SamsCakes Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 3:05pm
post #1 of 6

Hi! I'm Sam and this is my first time posting of this site. I actually just found it earlier this week and am enjoying it so far. I'm fairly new to decorating cakes but have started to really get into it lately.

I had a request last week for a sheet cake for my husband's office. I had never used poured foundant so decided that now was as good of time as any to try it. Everything seemed to be going just fine and then mid pouring the foundant - something happen. All of a sudden it was lumpy and when it dried it looked really bad. I wish now I would have taken a picture of it. But it just looked like a big lumpy mess! What went wrong?

Can anyone offer suggestions on what went wrong?

Thanks!
-Sam

5 replies
laurakelly2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
laurakelly2 Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 7:55pm
post #2 of 6

What kinda of fondant were you using? Perhaps it was too runny. I've never seen poured fondant on a sheet cake? I've found the process of rolling fondant and covering a cake is much easier for me =]

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 8:02pm
post #3 of 6

Sounds like maybe you got it too hot? Perhaps it was too thin and the lumps were the cake showing through?

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 11:43pm
post #4 of 6

It sounds like a temperature issue. Poured fondant shouldn't be heated higher than 92 degrees and it's easy to do because that's not very hot. You have to keep an instant read thermometer in it. But the real question is, why were you using poured fondant on a sheet cake?

CakeMakar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMakar Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 11:52pm
post #5 of 6

Poured fondant is more for petite fours.

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 3:44am
post #6 of 6

poured fondan on cakes used be pretty big thing aorund here. my first son's christening cake was a hexagon with poured fondanat and gorgeous piped flowers ( from a bakery). it was beutiful, then and now. You have reminded me that I would like to try that one day.

sounds like it was overheated and started to seize maybe.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%