Why The Heck Isn't This Working???

Decorating By ranbel Updated 20 Aug 2008 , 8:06pm by KoryAK

ranbel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ranbel Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 1:17pm
post #1 of 6

I've heard on this site that you can iron wax paper to satin/polyester ribbon to avoid the icing from discoloring the ribbon, but I can't get the ribbon to adhere to my ribbon icon_mad.gif what am I doing wrong...

I have held my iron (steam) on it until I think it is going to thru burn the ribbon and the wax paper does not melt/stick to the ribbon. I have even turned it over and put the iron directly on the wax paper and it still does nothing....what am I doing wrong here???? icon_cry.gif

Please help

5 replies
karensue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karensue Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 1:25pm
post #2 of 6

I don't think the "waxed paper" is going to actually stick to the ribbon. As you heat the waxed paper by ironing over it (I wouldn't use steam), the wax will "melt" onto the ribbon and create a "wax film" to protect the ribbon from whatever it come into contact with.

Hookste Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hookste Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 1:35pm
post #3 of 6

I attach clear contact paper to the ribbon and then attach with some icing. As long as completely cover the ribbon, the grease does not seep through. Good luck!

ranbel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ranbel Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 1:52pm
post #4 of 6

Ok...I was thinking that the wax paper would completely melt onto the ribbon....that make sense now...

And I like the clear contact paper idea, that sounds really simple...

I have in the past just cut wax paper strips and put around the cake first, but that can be a pain and it is really hard to cut it just perfect...

Thank you thumbs_up.gif

chelseafitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chelseafitz Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 7:15pm
post #5 of 6

Try using freezer paper...the white paper butchers wrap their meat in. You can get it from them or buy it in a box, it should be by the plastic wrap and wax paper. Iron with low heat with the shiny side to the ribbon and it will stick.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 8:06pm
post #6 of 6

As an (worlds easier) alternative, try just hosing it down with a little Pam first. Its not the grease thats your enemy, its the splotches.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%