Help Pls With Fondant Ribbon Around Btm Of Cake!

Decorating By acookieobsession Updated 20 Aug 2008 , 11:48pm by acookieobsession

acookieobsession Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 12:22pm
post #1 of 19

I have about 6 wedding cakes coming up with ribbon the bottom and i am just not happy with the results I am getting with my ribbon.

I wonder how you guys do it so you can not see the seams. i have both square and round to do. I am ok on the small ones where I only need 18" of ribbon, but on the 12" cakes I can't roll a 48 inch ribbon....or should I? I end up having 2-3 seams on the larger cakes. you roll on piece of ribbon for the large ones too AND how do you get your seams less visible? I have tried crisco, but it really does not work well.

Thanks for the help, Julia

18 replies
Justbeck101 Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 12:38pm
post #2 of 19

I have only done 2 on one cake, but on the top one I cut it in one whole long strip then wrapped it around a paper towel role then applied it to the cake. I overlapped the two ends then cut one line and pulled the two leftover ends off.
on the bottom one I had to do it in sections to get the plaid pattern correct. I used the same method though.

soccermom17 Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 12:53pm
post #3 of 19

I've done a few of the fondant ribbons and also, the small cake, one ribbon. The larger ones, 2 ribbons and i try to hide the seam towards the back on the round and towards the back on the square. Good luck.

loriemoms Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 12:56pm
post #4 of 19

I always add a little tylose to my fondant and knead it in real well the day before. I roll out my fondant in a pasta machine, so it is very even. I then use a ribbon cutter to cut it, but you can always use rulers, etc. I dust it a little corn starch on it and roll it up...I then unroll it around the cake. I rub a little crisco into the seam and then use a drezen tool to smooth it out. How is the crisco not working for you? YOu dont want to use a lot, just enough to get it smoothable.
For square cakes, I will roll out for each side....

acookieobsession Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 5:31pm
post #5 of 19

Hi guys, thanks for the responses.

I too use tylose and i let it sit on the mat for a minute before I pick it up. I get it around the cake and then place the pieces together. When I use crisco to smooth it out, it seems to need more pressure that I can safely apply to the BC cakes.

I like the idea of holding them together and cutting them. It sounds like that kind of mushes them together. Then perhaps the crisco rubbing thing will have more effect.

I am trying to do the connections on the corners of the next 2 squares. Those are the easiest to hide.

What is it with ribbon anyway. Get creative people...7 of my next 9 cakes have ribbon. UgH! Guess I will get the hang of it one way or the other huh?

loriemoms Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 5:35pm
post #6 of 19
Originally Posted by acookieobsession

What is it with ribbon anyway. Get creative people...7 of my next 9 cakes have ribbon. UgH! Guess I will get the hang of it one way or the other huh?

Ribbon, both fondant and satin, is hot this year. With swiss dots and real flowers. I have done so many of those cakes this year I can do them in my sleep. I wonder what next year will bring? (Last year it was the three dots together and gum paste roses and the year before that it seemed everyone wanted draping bows...)

anyone seen trends for next year yet?

acookieobsession Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 5:43pm
post #7 of 19

[quote="loriemoms] anyone seen trends for next year yet?[/quote]

Still ribbons here....

soccermom17 Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 8:56pm
post #8 of 19

Yep on the ribbons.
And I have a couple of weddings next month that are using the 1970's and 80's fountain. Is that a comeback?

acookieobsession Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 9:10pm
post #9 of 19

Oh no...not the fountains....ack!!!

deliciously_decadent Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 9:25pm
post #10 of 19

for square cakes make the ribbon as long as each side and join at each corner, with the round try to get as far round as possible with the middle at the front so that any of your joins are at the sides (or better) the back, also i use clear alcohol (either rose essence, vodka or gin) to smooth my edges and it work great! put a bit on the join with a brush and then rub the join until blended i always smooth over withthe brush and a bit more alcohol and let it dry works really well -it is alos a great trick for tears and join marks in your fondant on the actual cake!

soccermom17 Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 9:27pm
post #11 of 19

I know...ack!
And they'll be in my portfolio! Oh well. Everyone has different taste.
I just hope they are getting enough greenery to make it look really pretty?!! Otherwise it's going to be pretty, uh, plain. And it WON'T go into my pic. book or on the website!
Any other trends? What about the old diamond looking brooches? I have a hard time finding the jewelry. But I'm going to make a dummy cake with the brooch for a wedding show coming up.

pugmama1 Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 9:47pm
post #12 of 19

Speaking of fountains.... I go into Michael's and JoAnn's every week with my coupons just to see if there is something I want... and there it was Michael's... the fountain..yes, the fountain. I have never seen it for sale before at the one near me. Look out, ladies!

acookieobsession Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 10:15pm
post #13 of 19

Ohhhh, I found things a walmart to simulate the brooch. It was a button. If you look at my site in weddings you will see a cake I shamelessly copied form a telented dec. from here.....because I fell in LOVE with it.

leah_s Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 10:46pm
post #14 of 19

I too, cut a really long ribbon so that the only overlap is either 1) at the back or 2) under a flower. I (gasp) mix in some Wilton fondant to my good Satin Ice. It still tastes OK and is much easier to handle. Roll it up on some heavy duty vinyl and unroll as you go around the cake.

MacsMom Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 10:58pm
post #15 of 19

I use one long strand, too. But if you find it too hard, another method to hide the seams is to use a royal icing spackle (that's what Duff does).

acookieobsession Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 11:23pm
post #16 of 19

Hey leah do you think that the rolling up on vinyl would work this way....

To rool out, cut, roll up and then transport to the venue and put on the middle tier.... do you think it would dry out? About how long do you think before it dries???

We live in the middle of the appalachian mountains and I can NEVER take cakes stacked.....we are talking LARGE curvy mountain roads..

leah_s Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 11:25pm
post #17 of 19

acookie, yes I've done that. I put the rolls into a zip top bag. An 'll bet you could transport your cakes at least partially stacked using SPS. Seriously.

doitallmom Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 11:43pm
post #18 of 19

I never could figure out how to get rid of those seams. Thanks to acookieobsession for bringing it up and to all theest of you wonderful ccers for the tips and answers.

acookieobsession Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 11:48pm
post #19 of 19

Yeah I transport in stacks of 2...but never 4 or 5. Seriously it is worth the trouble putting them together there as opposed to the stress I would experience on the drive over. The driveway out of my subdiv. is practically a 90 degree angle.

I think I will get some more vinyl and cut into strips... Thanks for the great idea!

I bought the SPS recently to complement the SFS I already have. I will be using it soon so don;t be surprised if i pm you again! icon_smile.gif I have been practicing getting my cakes 4" high.

Thank you al so much for your help.....

Quote by @%username% on %date%