Need Directions On How To Make Wheat Out Of Fondant

Decorating By abcmommie Updated 20 Aug 2008 , 9:58pm by BlakesCakes

abcmommie Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 9:31am
post #1 of 3

I am making a cake for my church for a harvest theme and need to know how to make fondant wheat stacks to put on it. The idea is more grains and harvest not the traditional pumpkins and leaves after the story of Ruth and Boaz. I am thinking about doing a two tier stacked iced in ivory. with the fondant wheat on top with some leaves and flowers and maybe some corn. Any other suggestions would be helpful. Thanks

2 replies
jess85 Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 10:23am
post #2 of 3

I just did a bunch for a communion cake-a very small bunch very tedious work- I roughly followed the wilton method in one of their old books. i shaped a small piece of light yellow fondant around a stamen and marked a line on it, made lots of those and one on a wire for the cenral support. let them dry. then i colored some stamen silks with the tip cut off yellow. to assemble use your wire piece and the place the other bits (as for real wheat pattern, a pic will help) along this and add the silks toward the back, bind with florist tape and adjust a little here and there. i dusted mine just to finish them off a bit. Hope this isnt too confusing, Good luck and start early.
There is a Patchwork wheat cutter but it is quite small though

BlakesCakes Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 9:58pm
post #3 of 3

I've made it on uncooked spaghetti. I make wheat colored fondant, form an elongated oval that is tapered on one end. Put the spaghetti in the fat end, about halfway up the piece. I use small cuticle scissors to cut "^" s all the way around, alternating as I go up to the top (so that they don't line up). If I want them to dry straight, I stick the finished piece in a styrofoam block to dry. If I want them to dry curved, I bend the top a bit and sit the bend piece on some bumpy foam or crushed up aluminum foil.

Here's a link to a tutorial (NOT done by me). You may need to register on the site to view it:

Quote by @%username% on %date%