Cruise Ship Cake

Decorating By Emmerdoo Updated 20 Aug 2008 , 12:05pm by grama_j

Emmerdoo Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 7:51am
post #1 of 3

So I get a call from my best friend and she wants me to do a 50th birthday cake for my other mother. Fine, not a problem, I can do that and it will be grand!! Then she drops the bomb on me: Can I make a 3-d cruise ship cake? Fine, I can do that, I may have some problems, but it will still be grand. I have got my plan down...well, as much as a pen and ink drawing on a blank dr's order from work and measures from a tourniquet can be considered a plan...but still, I have got a plan down. My timeline is this:
Wednesday: buy supplies and start on the baking
Thursday: finish the baking and start on the gumpaste figure and the fondant accents, fill and freeze cakes
Friday: take cakes out, carve into shape, crumb coat and allow to thaw
Saturday: cover with fondant and decorate with accents
Sunday: deliver to party, stand back and watch people ooo and ahhh

I think that will be a fairly workable timeline. What do you think? I am going to make the cake 22'' long and 8'' high. I mean this is Punky's 50th birthday and there will be about 100-150 people there. That and it is my Punky. Give me some feedback my fellow cakers in arms. BTW - sorry that I haven't posted in so long, DH and I have just settled in from our move and I have just now gotten back to where I have been able to write. At least we have moved into a great new house with a detached garage....The best thing, the upstairs can be used to meet clients while the downstairs can be made into a commercial kitchen....complete with a loading garage on one end so that I can load up the big much going on. It feels kind of like a homecoming.

Happy Caking,

2 replies
PatrysV Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 11:40am
post #2 of 3

thumbs_up.gif Sounds good to me! icon_lol.gif

grama_j Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 12:05pm
post #3 of 3

If it were me, I would start the figures etc. as soon as possible so if something goes wrong I would have time to re-Do, and they would stilll have time to dry..... PLEASE post the finished pictures ?!

Quote by @%username% on %date%