Chilled Cake And Fondant?

Decorating By Katilia Updated 27 Aug 2008 , 6:38pm by loriemoms

Katilia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katilia Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 4:24am
post #1 of 33

I am doing three wedding cakes(6 flavors! yay!) for my brother's wedding and we have decided on fondant for them because it's outdoors and the bride is afraid they would melt if I just did buttercream.

I like the idea of the fondant but none of us want to actually serve the cake with the fondant on it, so we're going to have the caterer's peel it off before they serve it.

I am making vanilla bean butter cream with high ratio shortening, I'm also doing a vanilla bean cream cheese icing. I was wondering if I iced the cake and then put it in the freezer to sort of "chill" the icing and then smoothed the icing with a hot spatula...and then put it back in the freezer to just harden a little bit (not like frozen just cold and not mushy) if it would be easier to put the fondant on and have it look smoother.

Would that make it easier for the fondant to peel off? I know I've seen fondant peeled off before I just don't want it to take the icing with it.

Does anyone have any tips on this? Or even know what I'm talking about or am I just rambling like a crazy person?
icon_biggrin.gif

btw the wedding is in late September and the farmer's almanac is predicting a somewhat cool day for the wedding so I'm not really concerned about heat being a problem, I just want to make sure the fondant doesn't look like crap.

32 replies
varika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
varika Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 4:58am
post #2 of 33

I think that you should just not use fondant if you're going to do that. Bride's fears aside, I can't imagine the fondant coming off cleanly, so you'd be handing ugly cake to the guests.

Pastry-Panda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastry-Panda Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 5:26am
post #3 of 33

I agree with varika on this. you shouldn't use the fondant if you are just gonna pull it off. if you don't like the flavor don't use it , have you tried satin ice brand fondant? it's very good , how about MMF have you tried that? you can also knead flavors in to the fondant.

also if the guests dont like it , ive found that they just don't eat it. no point in destroying the hours of beautiful work you've done before the guests even get it.

since you are making vanilla bean buttercreams you should let everyone see those beautiful specks dotting your cake and not use fondant.

miny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miny Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 5:29am
post #4 of 33

I've seen fondant being peeled from cake before serving on the Food network (it was a wedding in Disneyworld), it was clean and looked so easy but I don't know exactly if there is a special procedure to do it maybe one of the pastry chefs on CC knows the steps to successfuly do it. Sorry I cannot help you with this but it can be done for sure! Good luck icon_smile.gif

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 6:03am
post #5 of 33

Yeah..there are plenty of places that do that..As good as fondant can taste..not everybody likes the
the texture, but likes the look.

AZCakeGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCakeGirl Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 6:07am
post #6 of 33

Just my opinion....If I were served a piece of cake that had the fondant pulled off, I would probably give the waiter a funny look. I would feel like he "touched" or "played with" my food between the time it was cut & then served to me. I would let the guests choose for themselves on whether or not they want to eat it, but of course that is just me & ultimately it it the brides choice.

FYI if it is the taste you're worried about - I usually make my own fondant, however I was at an event recently and sampled the FondX brand of fondant. Oh my goodness......I could have eaten the whole pound of it right out of the tub...it was YUMMY!

AZCakeGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCakeGirl Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 6:16am
post #7 of 33

Sorry, just thought of this....I know that if you sprinkle some powdered sugar in between the tiers on a stacked buttercream cake it helps keep the frosting from pulling off when you remove each tier. If you sprinkled powdered sugar over the buttercream before putting the fondant on, that might keep it from pulling the icing off when removed. However, it might not stick to the cake very well either. If you try it, let us know!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonedna

Yeah..there are plenty of places that do that..As good as fondant can taste..not everybody likes the
the texture, but likes the look.

Just curious since I've never seen it done before, do they put more buttercream or anything on it after the fondant is pulled off or just serve it plain? I could see one guy in the kitchen pulling the fondant off while another guy is piping some buttercream on each piece before being served. Even if it is just a pretty little heart on each piece, I think something like that could be a nice alternative.

tonedna Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 6:37am
post #8 of 33

The places I have seen doing this are some hotels. They do their own cakes and cut them, and yes they usually fix the buttercream after they take off.
Personally, I say let everybody decide if they want the fondant or not. That's too much trouble for me .
lol
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

miny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miny Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 7:13am
post #9 of 33

The time I saw it it was done by the Disney pastry chefs, it did not look like it was fixed, it did look a little spiky, I mean you could tell the fondant was pulled from the BC but still looked fine but you never know they edited big chunks of the program to make it fit the schedule time on air icon_wink.gif

Kala Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kala Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 8:00am
post #10 of 33

Why don't you just make a dummy cake and make sheet cakes on the side. That would make things much easier.

lorijom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorijom Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 2:02am
post #11 of 33

I agree that the guests should make the decision themselves, a good number of them will eat the fondant if you use good flavored fondant...but if you use a crusting bc that you have only spritzed slightly to "glue" your fondant onto you will have better luck with the peeling.

bethola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethola Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 2:09am
post #12 of 33

Let the guests remove the fondant themselves. Some might actually like fondant. My aunt LOVES it! So your cake stays pretty and they can make a choice!

Beth

Katilia Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 2:18am
post #13 of 33

Thanks for the advice everyone. About 90% of people I have served cake to absolutely hate fondant. The bride hates fondant everyone in my family hates fondant, but we like the look of it so we're definitely going with it.

I did see it done on the food network Disney World thing and it came off fine. I'm not worried about what the cake looks like after it's cut, I just want it to look good before it's chopped up into bits.

It does sound like a good idea to let people peel their own fondant off but I'm afraid that they will just not want any cake at all if they see fondant. One of my other brother's just had a wedding and his rehearsal dinner had a fondant cake (not made by me btw) and everyone thought it was yucky because of the fondant.

I'm just really proud of my cakes and I want people to taste them and like them. What do you guys think about the method for putting on the fondant? Freezing the cake first and then putting it on.

I'm definitely doing the vanilla bean buttercream (tastes 100% better than vanilla extract, even though I still add extract lol) I think it will be a fun surprise for people when they cut the cake open and it has vanilla bean in it.

mamacc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamacc Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 12:26pm
post #14 of 33

I don't see how 90% of them hated fondant!? Was it Wilton fondant?? It really doesn't taste bad(except wilton)...it's more of a texture thing.

Be careful with freezing the cake before fondant. I've covered cakes that were chilled in the fridge and it's usually fine although I've had some issues. My fondant comes out better on room temp cakes unless it's carved.

tonedna Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 2:29pm
post #15 of 33

I dont think the cake should be freeze...just refrigerated. Mamacc is right..too much moisture!
Edna

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 3:40pm
post #16 of 33

I think chilling, not freezing is the way to go. I don't know if this will aid in the stripping of the fondant (I, too, saw the disney wedding special you saw and couldn't believe they did that!).

I absolutely LOVE vanilla bean buttercream--it's one of my favorites! Definitely tastes SO much better than regular. If you can get vanilla bean paste, I recommend it for that, because it combines the best of using fresh beans and no need to add additional extract. More cost-effective than using straight beans as well.

Katilia Posted 23 Aug 2008 , 2:09am
post #17 of 33

Yeah, I had thought about condensation being a problem.

Katilia Posted 23 Aug 2008 , 2:11am
post #18 of 33
Quote:
Quote:

I absolutely LOVE vanilla bean buttercream--it's one of my favorites! Definitely tastes SO much better than regular. If you can get vanilla bean paste, I recommend it for that, because it combines the best of using fresh beans and no need to add additional extract. More cost-effective than using straight beans as well.

Oh thanks! I was going to ask if anyone had used vanilla bean paste. I will definitely get some!

Katilia Posted 23 Aug 2008 , 2:16am
post #19 of 33
Quote:
Quote:

I don't see how 90% of them hated fondant!? Was it Wilton fondant?? It really doesn't taste bad(except wilton)...it's more of a texture thing.

Yeah, pretty much everyone hated it, I really hate it, I think it's just gross and doesn't really work well with cake flavors. I do really like the way it looks and I think it would be good to let people peel the fondant off themselves but I don't want them to think that they have to eat it and then think "ew, this cake is gross".

bellejoey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bellejoey Posted 23 Aug 2008 , 2:40am
post #20 of 33

I would serve it with the fondant and allow the guests to peel it off. I know alot of people who just love the taste of it and there are alot of great tasting fondants out there. Another option is that maybe if you made extra buttercream and supplied that to the caterers, perhaps they wouldn't mind piping a quick swirl ontop of each piece of cake before they went out to the guests. I don't see why they wouldn't if you supplied everything and asked nicely. icon_smile.gif

Katilia Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 7:16am
post #21 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellejoey

I would serve it with the fondant and allow the guests to peel it off. I know alot of people who just love the taste of it and there are alot of great tasting fondants out there. Another option is that maybe if you made extra buttercream and supplied that to the caterers, perhaps they wouldn't mind piping a quick swirl ontop of each piece of cake before they went out to the guests. I don't see why they wouldn't if you supplied everything and asked nicely. icon_smile.gif

I'm going to put a pretty thick layer of butter cream on the cakes (which is why I wanted to chill them before I put the fondant on). I don't know a single person that likes fondant icon_lol.gif perhaps I will meet one at this wedding.

mclaren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mclaren Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 7:41am
post #22 of 33

katilia, why don't you use a good crusting BC, then paper towel the frosting so that it takes a fondant effect?

that way, you don't have to waste the fondant at all, get great looking cakes, & everyone's happy eating them? JMO.

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 8:57am
post #23 of 33

The thing that gets me is that when you slice a wedding cake, there is very little fondant on it, except the people who get the outside pieces...I also would not want to eat cake that has someone peeling fondant off of it! People who dont like fondant just dont eat it...

If you hate it that much, use rolling chocolate or a better quality fondant, which both taste terrific! Like Masse or something. It can be rolled very thin and you can add flavors to it if you like Or like someone said, make a dummy cake and serve sheet cakes.

The whole idea of peeling all that fondant away and serving it really sounds gross to me the more I think about it!

Katilia Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 5:03am
post #24 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by loriemoms

The thing that gets me is that when you slice a wedding cake, there is very little fondant on it, except the people who get the outside pieces...I also would not want to eat cake that has someone peeling fondant off of it! People who dont like fondant just dont eat it...

If you hate it that much, use rolling chocolate or a better quality fondant, which both taste terrific! Like Masse or something. It can be rolled very thin and you can add flavors to it if you like Or like someone said, make a dummy cake and serve sheet cakes.

The whole idea of peeling all that fondant away and serving it really sounds gross to me the more I think about it!

They don't peel it off piece by piece, they just slice the fondant and peel it off all in one movement. I don't see that it's any different than someone else cutting the cake and putting it on the plate for you. What's so gross about that? The gross part to me seems like the fondant. icon_sad.gif I may just have to get over my fondant hatred.

Katilia Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 5:07am
post #25 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren

katilia, why don't you use a good crusting BC, then paper towel the frosting so that it takes a fondant effect?

that way, you don't have to waste the fondant at all, get great looking cakes, & everyone's happy eating them? JMO.

I'm doing a vanilla bean butter cream with high ratio shortening and powdered sugar. I've never been able to get a smooth BC that doesn't have air bubbles, also I don't like the look that paper towels give the BC.

MissRobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissRobin Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 1:43pm
post #26 of 33

I would definitely let them eat around the fondant, There is nothing wrong with doing that at all. It is not going to affect the flavor of your cake in any way, most importantly it helps to keep your cake moist. Most of my family hates fondant and they just eat around it and rave about the flavor of my cakes. I have had to peel fondant off of a cake several times for a mistake or whatever and it is an absolute mess. So unless you are going to have that wedding cake cool up to the time of the actual cutting it will ruin your cake to pull it off.

nickymom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nickymom Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 2:08pm
post #27 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kala

Why don't you just make a dummy cake and make sheet cakes on the side. That would make things much easier.

I agree 100%! This sounds a lot simplier to me.

I'd rather have a cake w/ fondant handed to me rather than a "tore-up" piece of iced cake. Since you said 90% of the people don't like fondant then it seems like a waste of time to even use fondant......but if you must use it then let the people decide if they want to eat the fondant or not. Everybody knows what fondant is..LOL..no one will think your cake tatses bad. The people who don't like fondant will just eat the cake only so I think you're worrying yourself way too much over this.

makeminepink Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
makeminepink Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 2:13pm
post #28 of 33

Are you mixing your buttercream on low? I saw someone say that not mixing on low causes the air bubbles. I have that problem too, but haven't gotten to try their suggestion yet. Too much worry about the peeling thing. Just cut the cake, hand them the piece and let them deal with it. If they don't know how to take it off themselves or eat around it........... If this is the biggest problem they have all day-----------Thank you Lord!

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 5:21pm
post #29 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katilia

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren

I'm doing a vanilla bean butter cream with high ratio shortening and powdered sugar. I've never been able to get a smooth BC that doesn't have air bubbles, also I don't like the look that paper towels give the BC.

You don't HAVE to use a crusting buttercream....I also don't care for using viva or typing paper or whatever..I think its too time consuming and doesn't give it a pretty look. Since I discovered non crusting, I ice my cakes faster, they look better (spatula smoothing) and look more natural. I also think its easier to work with! The crusting buttercream was harder to smooth down, especaily if it crusted too fast.

Katilia Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 6:22pm
post #30 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickymom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kala

I agree 100%! This sounds a lot simplier to me.

I'd rather have a cake w/ fondant handed to me rather than a "tore-up" piece of iced cake. Since you said 90% of the people don't like fondant then it seems like a waste of time to even use fondant......but if you must use it then let the people decide if they want to eat the fondant or not. Everybody knows what fondant is..LOL..no one will think your cake tatses bad. The people who don't like fondant will just eat the cake only so I think you're worrying yourself way too much over this.

I'm not going to make a dummy cake for someone's wedding, that would kind of ruin the cake cutting ceremony. But I think I've decided to just serve it with the fondant.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%