Scratch Orange Cake?

Decorating By sugarycreations Updated 21 Aug 2008 , 8:29pm by sugarycreations

sugarycreations Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 3:54am
post #1 of 8

Anybody have a good recipe for an orange cake? Planning on using it for my wedding this weekend with a vanilla buttercream so I need it pretty fast. <G>

7 replies
karateka Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 12:30pm
post #2 of 8

I have the one from the Whimsical Bakehouse. If you'd like to try it, pm me.

HerBoudoir Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 12:49pm
post #3 of 8

Do you have a vanilla/yellow cake recipe that you like? You can just use that, but add 2-3 teaspoons of orange extract, and grated orange zest. I also replace some of the liquid with Gran Marnier liquor (a couple of tablespoons worth).

I also add 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon to orange cake - it makes it really "pop" for me.

serenelui Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 4:42pm
post #4 of 8

there are some nice orange cake recipes in the recipe file that you could try icon_smile.gif

SeriousCakes Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 6:28pm
post #5 of 8

I use this recipe:

but I replace the vanilla with orange extract and fold in orange zest from one orange at the end. Very very good! And paired with vanilla bc, it's tastes like a creamsicle!!

sugarycreations Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 7:49pm
post #6 of 8

Thanks but karateka sent me the WBC recipe earlier and I'm working on it. Gives me a chance to kill 2 birds with one stone. I get my orange cake & a chance to check out one of the recipes. I've gotten real interested in it since reading on here. For sure if I like the cake, it'll be moved up to the top of my priority list. <G>

Actually what got me started was somebody talking about doing the cake with vanilla icing & how it had reminded them of a creamsicle. Sounded awfully good & a bit different to me. Been doing chocolate cakes like crazy & I'm ready for a change.

serenelui Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 12:07pm
post #7 of 8

Hi sugarycreations, i'm also interested in the recipes from Whimsical Bakehouse and always wondered if they are as fantastic as everyone says they are icon_smile.gif Do let us know how the cake turned out icon_smile.gif

sugarycreations Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 8:29pm
post #8 of 8

OH YES!! Based on that recipe, the book is well worth buying. I checked it out on Amazon & the random page search button pulled up a chart that gave detailed directions for obtaining a variety of colors. Obviously it has some useful tips in it also. I'm definitely buying it.

Had some batter left over I made cupcakes out of so have already sampled the cake--plain & iced. <G> It is really good.

Quote by @%username% on %date%