What Is Foam Core?

Decorating By mediamaster92 Updated 20 Aug 2008 , 11:09am by Kim_in_CajunCountry

mediamaster92 Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 3:00am
post #1 of 4

ok so ive heard the word foam core alot around here. can you please explain to me what it is and how it us used in cake decorating? thanks!

3 replies
xstitcher Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 3:07am
post #2 of 4

Foam core is 2 pieces of paper (maybe even light cardboard) with foam in the middle of it. It's used as a base for putting cakes on. Some folks use cake drums, some use masonite etc... It's cheaper than the previous mentioned items but you have to cut it yourself


xstitcher Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 3:09am
post #3 of 4

I forgot to mention that it comes in different sizes (thickness) and depending on how heavy a cake is would determine how thick you would need.

Kim_in_CajunCountry Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 11:09am
post #4 of 4

It is available in a variety of colors. If you have Michael's in your area, you can find it in the art section near the paints and canvases, with the colored posters. It is also good for using as a surface to place cakes/cookies on for photographing them. Since it's rigid you can use it over and over without it getting bent out of shape like a plain poster board would.

Quote by @%username% on %date%