Do You Rent A Ktchen In Michigan????

Business By sjbeatty8 Updated 20 Aug 2008 , 2:48pm by Joanne914

sjbeatty8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sjbeatty8 Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 2:33am
post #1 of 7

Im in the process of renting a kitchen in Michigan and I was looking for some answers and having a hard time.

If you rent in michigan.. can you tell me what you do about liability?? Im assuming it falls on you and you hold your own insurance??

What do you pay??

Do you have any advise for someone looking to rent.. the agriculture dept isnt so helpful so this is a hard process trying to figure out what to do so any advise would be great.

Thank you

6 replies
armywifebryan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
armywifebryan Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 12:33pm
post #2 of 7

I, too, am interested in knowing about this. It is so confusing trying to work around home kitchens and until business picks up I know I can't make it on my own so I was thinking of renting. I have a couple of places in mind, but want to have all information before confronting them...(if it seems I have all my duckies in a row, maybe they will be more likely to let me rent, etc,)

Trixyinaz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Trixyinaz Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 1:54pm
post #3 of 7

I too would like some more information on this since I'm not ready to open my own shop.

rdiesing Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rdiesing Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 2:09pm
post #4 of 7

I'd love to hear as well!

leannsloan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leannsloan Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 2:23pm
post #5 of 7

Hi guys I just got my food permit and I am now legal. I rent kitchen space at a local caters kitchen. I pay monthy rent to her You still need the health dept to come out and ok it for you even if they have a license kitchen you need to be license to use that kitchen. You need to also register to get your retail merchant certificate and call your ins agent to help you with Ins. The kitchen you are useing will have ins. but you need your own It is a lot of work but worth it and you will get a lot of NO's before you get a YES have a business plan ready. I hope this helps

leannsloan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leannsloan Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 2:27pm
post #6 of 7

Oh, each State is different. So 1st check with the state to see what you need to do.

Joanne914 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joanne914 Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 2:48pm
post #7 of 7

sjbeatty8 - Congratulations on finding a space to rent....I'm so jealous!
I've been looking and haven't had any luck yet. I had a really good lead early in the summer, from a catering company that was going to rent a kitchen, and wanted to lease their "down" time out...but the owner was asking too much $$$ for rent, so the caterer pulled out, and there went my opportunity. icon_sad.gif Where in Michigan are you located, and how did you find your kitchen if I might ask? I'm located in Oakland County, near Pontiac.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%