Topsy Turvy Pricing?

Decorating By Bethroze Updated 24 Aug 2008 , 12:40am by aligotmatt

Bethroze Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 1:34am
post #1 of 12

I am doing my first topsy turvey cake this weekend. I am having trouble with the pricing. I charge $30 for a three layer decorated 9" round cake. It looks like it will take two recipes of cake batter, so I would think $50. Then I think about the extra boards and support for the stacking of tiers. Ofcourse, there is the problem of this being my first, so I usually give a discount for my trail runs. Uhggg... It would almost be easier to give them away!

11 replies
indydebi Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 2:17am
post #2 of 12

I've never made a TT cake, but I think this is an example of a cake that can't be priced just by a serving price unless you build in all the extra work involved. I think these cakes would fall into the carved cake category, where you really price it more for the work and time involved, and less for a flat-price-per-serving. If I ever do one, I'd add an extra labor fee for the design for just these reasons.

sweetcakes Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 3:01am
post #3 of 12

what size cakes are you thinking of using?

aligotmatt Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 3:08am
post #4 of 12

I charge $1.50 more per serving for a topsy turvy than a regular fondant cake. It works out well to account for the carved part (but there isn't too much loss in them, just time) and they always have extra fondant work, all the little balls for the border or whatever you plan on doing.

FromScratch Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 3:15am
post #5 of 12

I start TT cakes at $7/serving (my carved cake price) and I only do them in fondant. If they are highly detailed the price goes up. My TT cakes have 6" high tiers with 3 layers of cake and 2 layers of filling. So you have 50% more cake to start with.. you then carve some away.. so you are left with about the same amount of cake you would have with a normal cake of the same size.. say you have an 8" tier.. it is normally 20 servings.. add 50% you have 30 servings.. then you carve it and you are left with ~ 20 servings.

There is more work involved doing a cake like this than there is with a normal cake. Make sure you cover your time and blood sweat and tears.. icon_biggrin.gif

Bethroze Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 5:11pm
post #6 of 12

Never mind....She changed her mind to a cake from Charm City Cakes called "Thanks." Now I have three days to make fondant, cut and dry circles, make pearls for the first time, and figure out how to cover an entire cake with Luster Dust. icon_surprised.gif

aligotmatt Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 7:25pm
post #7 of 12

And you're going to do it? with 3 days notice?

Jasmine33 Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 7:41pm
post #8 of 12

Yikes! Keep us updated with how it turns out!

Bethroze Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 7:57pm
post #9 of 12

I only do cakes for family and friends, so my advertising is by word of mouth. It seems that all my cakes are, "Do you think there is anyway you could do me a cake this weekend??? Please...I would have called ealier, but time just got away from me..." I'm a big softy. icon_rolleyes.gif

FromScratch Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 8:25pm
post #10 of 12

You'll lose that softness soon enough.. icon_wink.gif.. when you get sick of rushing to make cakes that would have been a LOT less stressful with more time to plan. Good luck with your cake!! Be sure to let us know when you post the picture! icon_biggrin.gif

Bethroze Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 12:14am
post #11 of 12

I got the cake finished in plenty of time. It looked cool, or "tight" as the birthday girl put it. I charged $100, because I was unsure if I could pull it off. My only problem was with my MMF bubbling. How do you get it to lay flat on the butter cream?

aligotmatt Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 12:40am
post #12 of 12

You did a great job!! And way underpriced. Glad the birthday girl liked it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%