I'm Surprised The Fire Dept. Hasn't Shown Up Yet!!!!

Decorating By weefoot Updated 25 Aug 2008 , 12:39pm by annacakes

weefoot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weefoot Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 12:19am
post #1 of 10

I am making my first puzzle cake. My mom gave me money to spend on cake supplies so I got some bake even strips. I mixed my cake, filled the pans and put on my strips. What I failed to do was realize that I should have probably put foil on the bottom of the oven. My cake all went over the sides, smoke is pouring out of the oven, I have every fan on in the house, all windows and doors open, the timer and the smoke detectors are all going off at the same time. AHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!! icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif I have probably ruined my new baking strips. My husband said to still finish baking them. I have never had cake go over the side this bad. Is it because of the strips. I of course realize that I obviously have too much batter in the pan. I was using carrot cake and it never really rises that much. Must be the strips. I'm afraid to go on. There goes the timer again! icon_cry.gif

9 replies
foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 12:54am
post #2 of 10

The strips prevent the cake from rising... it gives a flat top and no dome. I think it was just too much batter...

weefoot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weefoot Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 1:09am
post #3 of 10

I'm going to try it again. Strips weren't damaged. Thank goodness. I couldn't even breath in my house it was soooo smokey.

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 2:06am
post #4 of 10

Good luck! I'm sorry you had so many troubles icon_sad.gif

Luby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Luby Posted 23 Aug 2008 , 1:12pm
post #5 of 10

I don't believe the problem was caused by the strips - I believe you put too much batter in your pans.

seasonsmoke Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
seasonsmoke Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 1:42am
post #6 of 10

I'm very sorry this happened to you. How upseting.

lardbutt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lardbutt Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 11:54am
post #7 of 10

So sorry this happened to you. When I had a similar experience, the cakes were ruined! They tasted just like the smoke!

Hey, just wondering, I'm assuming you can wash the baking stripes?

MessyBaker

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 12:06pm
post #8 of 10

I think so. I would probably handwash them though.

robinscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
robinscakes Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 12:20pm
post #9 of 10

I've hand-washed my baking strips before and they're fine. I think the problem was too much batter, also.

annacakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
annacakes Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 12:39pm
post #10 of 10

Yep, too much batter. If you measure your amounts, this won't happen again. Wiltons chart is very accurate when it comes to this. Placed in the middle of the year book, it gives a complete guide to how much batter for each size/height pan.

The bake even strips will be okay. We used to hand wash them at the bakery (after giving them a soak) and hang them to dry.

Another cake, another lesson!

Good Luck. Hang in there - you're doing fine.

Anna

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%