A Couple Gum-Tex, Mmf Questions.

Decorating By Ishi Updated 22 Aug 2008 , 1:55am by Ishi

Ishi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ishi Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 9:00pm
post #1 of 10

Ok. I feel pretty comfortable with MMF now but I am making a little cityscape of MMF buildings and want them to dry hard so they will stand up straight. I've read that you can add Gum-Tex to a batch of MMF to make it dry harder so I went out this morning bought Gum-Tex. Here's my question:

How much of the Gum-Tex should I add to a normal batch of MMF (using 16 oz. marshmallows)?

Also, to add it do I just knead it into the already prepared fondant?

AND Will these be ready to use on a cake on Saturday if I make them today?

Thanks so much!

9 replies
xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 10:58pm
post #2 of 10

I don't know if MMF is any different but according to my Wilton class that I am taking now it is 1 teaspoon for 12 oz of fondant. I would imagine it would be the same but hopefully someone who has tried this will pipe in....

toshaw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
toshaw Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 11:10pm
post #3 of 10

Just to be on the safe side, I would add another 1/2 tsp. Yes, you can mix it into the already prepared MMF. Just let it "cure" or "set" overnight and work with it and see if it dries like regular gumpaste. If it doesn't set up quickly, add another 1/2 tsp. and let cure at the least 6 hours before using. I've done this myself, but I've used tylose.

KathyTW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathyTW Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 11:19pm
post #4 of 10

Okay...so I think I mis-understood previous posts on this subject. Can someone please clarify?

I made MMF and a batch of gumpaste and then I mixed the two together....now from what I'm reading it looks like I could have just added the gumpaste powder to the MMF instead of making the batch of gumpaste....which is the correct way? icon_redface.gif

Ishi Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 7:24pm
post #5 of 10

What does 12 oz of fondant look like? I'm imagining that it is about the size of a softball but I have no real idea (and no scale.) I added 2 tsp. to the fondant I made on Tuesday and it doesn't seem to be hardening any faster than MMF normally does. I think I may have added it wrong, though. I added it while I was still adding powdered sugar so I have no clue if I actually picked up all of it.

I made another batch today and I plan on adding the Gum-Tex to the already prepared fondant (being sure to knead it all in.) I'll let you guys know what happens.

Any more thoughts on this process are greatly appreciated!

DesignsByMandie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DesignsByMandie Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 7:38pm
post #6 of 10

Being this is a MMF topic....Is there a way to add a different flavor to MMF...Last time I used some butter flavoring to correspond to the butter BC...But I still wasn't to thrilled with the flavor, if you do add flavor how much? Also when doing several different colors is there a good "recipe" to do small batches so I can color them individually?? Thanks For the advice I do appreciate it!!!!!

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 8:04pm
post #7 of 10

I use a dram of LoRann butter flavor -- it is a concentrated oil that gives the absolute best BC flavor to MMF.

Otherwise, use up 2 t of another extract: I like Nielsen Massey's chocolate extract. I have found that Wilton has the best butter flavor if you can't get LoRann (I buy mine from f o n d a n t source.com ) but it's better combined with vanilla.

As far as coloring small batches, if you think about it it is actually more work to make several different small batches of MMF than it is to knead in color. To get the color in the quickest, I pull mine like taffy.

For buildings or other structure you want standing, I would use 100% gumpaste. Wilton gumpaste is ready made and dries fast, and harder than any other brand I've tried.

xstitcher Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 8:47pm
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishi

What does 12 oz of fondant look like? I'm imagining that it is about the size of a softball but I have no real idea (and no scale.) I added 2 tsp. to the fondant I made on Tuesday and it doesn't seem to be hardening any faster than MMF normally does. I think I may have added it wrong, though. I added it while I was still adding powdered sugar so I have no clue if I actually picked up all of it.

I made another batch today and I plan on adding the Gum-Tex to the already prepared fondant (being sure to knead it all in.) I'll let you guys know what happens.

Any more thoughts on this process are greatly appreciated!

That's pretty close in size, maybe even a tad smaller! I just tried putting 12 oz in a measuring cup and it was just slightly more than that. I think you'll be fine with the softball size you could always add 1/8 or 1/4 tsp more!

HTH!

P.S. Scales are awesome to use! Especially when it comes to measuring things like shortening (I just put a small piece of saran wrap and put my crisco on top and weigh it) weigh easier for clean up! icon_lol.gif

xstitcher Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 8:51pm
post #9 of 10

One more thing Ishi,

If you've ever used wilton fondant 12 oz would be 1/2 the box (24 oz box).

Ishi Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 1:55am
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by xstitcher

One more thing Ishi,

If you've ever used wilton fondant 12 oz would be 1/2 the box (24 oz box).

Thanks so much!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%