American Flag??

Decorating By decoratingfool Updated 21 Aug 2008 , 7:27am by redpanda

decoratingfool Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
decoratingfool Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 8:35pm
post #1 of 5

Hi all,
well im trying to figure out how to make an american flag out of fondant, i see so many beautiful flags and the stripes seem to just fit so perfectly together like maybe painted on???? can anoyone tell me how to make a flag look like its one piece not a bunch of different stipes, do you get what i mean??? my son's best friend comes home from Iraq in about 28 days and i would LOVE to make him a cake with the american flag draped across a cake..I saw one on here with an eagle that was beautful, but the OP never put intructions up on how to do it...Thank you everyone....

4 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 10:42pm
post #2 of 5

Cut a rectangle of fondant; mask off stripes using some tape and airbrush on the red color. Don't have an ab?...then paint it on using gel color thinned w/alhcohl (uuuggggg! never could spell that word!).
For the dk blue section again either ab or paint; then cut stars w/a small cookie cutter and lay them on (adhere them using just a bit of water brushed on the back).

decoratingfool Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
decoratingfool Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 6:21am
post #3 of 5

Thank you soo much, i am making a cake for a Marine coming home from Iraq in a few weeks and i really want him to have a cake he will always remember...

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 6:38am
post #4 of 5

You can make the stars with a scrapbooking punch, if you find one the right size. Roll the fondant really thin and let it dry for a couple of minutes before you use the punch.

redpanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redpanda Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 7:27am
post #5 of 5

If you put star-shaped masking onto the white fondant before spraying/brushing the blue field, you can then carefully remove the stars, leaving white stars behind. If you're brushing, you have to be really careful, though, around the edges of the stars.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%