Patchwork Cutters

Decorating By Cynita Updated 19 Aug 2008 , 7:53pm by Melvira

Cynita Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 6:02pm
post #1 of 8

I am looking to do something different on my cakes. I have an upcoming cake for a baby shower. Customer wants rattles, pins, bottles, and footprints incorporated in the cake design. When researching I came across the patchwork cutters in the Country Kitchen Sweet Art Catalog. I have an idea on how to use them but I am not completely sure. The main thing that I am so confused about is how do you color them? Do you cut them out using fondant or do you make impressions on the fondant? All I know is that the pictures that I have seen using these patchworks are beautiful.
If we have pictures in the CC gallery using patchwork designs, please link me to the pictures. Please any info would be helpful, I need to give the customer a quote today and would like to know what it takes to do this technique.


7 replies
peg818 Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 6:20pm
post #2 of 8

well, there are a couple of ways to use them. You can cut and layer the colors, or you can emboss the fondant and paint using food coloring.

cupcakemkr Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 6:25pm
post #3 of 8

I did a search of the galleries for you for "quilt" and here is what cam up:

I love this one, maybe you can pm the member and ask how it is done:

I am under the impression that you roll out one color of fondant use and impression mat or roller and then cut out the squares - then the next color/impression and so on and then you stack them together up the sides of the cake or lay them together on top of the cake if doing a sheet cake.


Melvira Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 6:37pm
post #4 of 8

I have the baby set from CK... the one with the little lion and baby stuff. It's really cool looking in the pictures they show you, but I've yet to use it (bought it well over a year ago) because I realized after I bought it how much work it would be, and no one around here would pay what I'd have to charge!! You can either use it to emboss, and just leave it with no color, and it's essentially giving a texture, or you have to sit and hand paint it. I also bought the one that looks like a shelf of books, because that one blew me away, but it's the same deal... I'm not putting in that kind of work for nothing... so I'm waiting to do it for someone as a gift or something. Good luck!

Cynita Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 6:48pm
post #5 of 8

yes, Melvira, that's the one I fell in love with!! I want to do that, help, help.

Cynita Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 6:52pm
post #6 of 8

ok..I've calmed down and finished reading your post. So, I would have to hand paint the different colors. I was wondering how did they do that. That is time consuming and would cost.

dragonflydreams Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 7:27pm
post #7 of 8

. . . I haven't seen the cutters you're talking about . . . but I have used patchwork cutters . . . in my case, I used eye shadow applicators to "paint" non-toxic chalks for color . . . but you could also use luster/petal dust etc (dry or wet application) . . .

Melvira Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 7:53pm
post #8 of 8
Originally Posted by Cynita

ok..I've calmed down and finished reading your post. So, I would have to hand paint the different colors. I was wondering how did they do that. That is time consuming and would cost.

Yes, very time consuming, especially considering how small the little figures are and how many it would take to cover a cake, even if you're just going around the outside edge or something. But if you can find someone willing to pay it... it would be worth every penny!! It's SO cute!! I decided I will use the book one when my sister graduates from college. That will be such a miracle that it will be worth that much work!!! Generally speaking, people that have been in college as long as she has are called Doctor. icon_rolleyes.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%