Calling All Parents!!!!

Lounge By jovigirl Updated 24 Aug 2008 , 7:10pm by jovigirl

jovigirl Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 5:41pm
post #1 of 14

Can anyone out there tell me why kids go all weirdo when somebody comes over or we go out & people are aroud us????

This is just something I can't figure out icon_confused.gificon_confused.gificon_confused.gif
I have 3 girls 6, 2 & 2 weeks old, however I watch a 6 yr old boy & a 3 yr old girl as well. All the kids behave like angels & we do lots of stuff together. But I've noticed that as soon as anyone comes over it's like someone or something takes over inside their little bodies & they all become weiners & don't listen... Is their anything I can do to prevent this??? I can't keep them all in another room as people are always coming at different times & usually don't call before doing so & I hate leaving the kids alone in another room even if it is for just a few mins as something always gets messed up...
Can anyone help or have any suggestions???

13 replies
ladyellam Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 6:26pm
post #2 of 14

It's the "let's see if we can embarrass mommy" syndrome. My two kids have it (4 year old son and 2 year old daughter). They are pretty decent when we go out, but they've had their times! I love first-time parents looking at me with shock thinking to themselves "MY KIDS WILL NEVER DO THAT". I just look them in the eye, smile and think to myself--just wait!!

thems_my_kids Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 7:41pm
post #3 of 14

Maybe it would help to take a minute as you see someone coming to the door or even after they come in to tell the kids, "I need to speak with Mr/s so ans so. I need you not to interrupt." They need to know what is expected of them so they have a chance to behave properly.

I'm on the strict side myself and my kids aren't perfect, of course, but they know to wait if they start to interrupt and I hold up a finger.

EDITED: Just wanted to say I forgot to mention what xstitcher said. They are just excited too to have someone drop by. The little boy I babysit starts to run circles to show off whenever one of his parents come to pick him up!

xstitcher Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 7:44pm
post #4 of 14

I have this happen all the time!

My kids are really good and are well behaved most of the time but when we have visitors over I think they go into the "show off/embarass parents" mode! My kids are so excited when someone comes over and I think part of it has to do with not having too many friends their age around so they think all of my friends and DH friends are theirs and they want to show them all of their toys or tell them about everything they have learned or watched on tv etc.....

I'm hoping this will pass soon!!

LNW Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 8:28pm
post #5 of 14

My daughter will be 7yo this winter and she does the exact same thing. I have such drama with her when people come over or when sheâs got friends around. Sheâll sass me and backtalk like a freaking 16yo. Itâs all I can do not to reach down and⦠well⦠you know.

I get being excited that new people are around and you want to look cool in front of you friends but not at my expense. Iâll not be run over by a 6yo child because sheâs happy to have company. Iâve started to take away her favorite toys when she acts up. Iâve got a nice little collection of toys on top of my fridge right now.

So far it is having the desired effect.

xstitcher Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 9:03pm
post #6 of 14

I tried the "take away toys" thing but it doesn't always work. If my DH knows that there is a punishment involved than it's okay but otherwise my very clever 6 year old requests things in such a way that my DH always gives him what he asks for (within reason of course).


Overall my kids are great and usually well behaved. When we have company over and we want adult time to talk I try to find something to keep the kids occupied ie, get them to play in their play room, put on a disney movie or do a puzzle etc. It keeps them busy for a little while anyway!

thems_my_kids Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 9:10pm
post #7 of 14

Oh, I just remembered this book I have after reading LNW's post. Backtalk:4 ways to end rude behavior in your kids.

When LNW mentioned her daughter sassing when she has friends over jogged my memory, because the author says if that's the case, the friend goes home immediately as a result. And for other rude behavior, you say something like, "When you speak to me like that, it zaps all my energy, therefore I have none left to take you to....dance class/ soccer practice/ your friend's house, etc"

Sounds simple, but it really takes guts. My 8yo was invited to a bday party and was talking back, but it was at Pump It Up and I think that punishment would've really gotten to him, I couldn't do it. I really wanted to go!

xstitcher Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 9:25pm
post #8 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by thems_my_kids


Sounds simple, but it really takes guts. I think that punishment would've really gotten to him, I couldn't do it. I really wanted to go!




I hear you on that! It's really hard to stick to your guns. I'm a culprit too. I feel so bad that I give in some times too!

Consistency is the key I hear. I guess their not the only ones that need to learn.

Mike1394 Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 9:31am
post #9 of 14

Rope, and duct tape works every time. icon_biggrin.gif Seriously though why is a child allowed to backtalk, and sass, and act like a goof? Set the boundries, and stick to them. If they don't like it, tough, they're kids. They're not supposed to like everything. They're main function in life is to learn how to be a productive memeber of society later on. It's your job to teach it to them.

Mike

jovigirl Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 2:52pm
post #10 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyellam

I love first-time parents looking at me with shock thinking to themselves "MY KIDS WILL NEVER DO THAT". I just look them in the eye, smile and think to myself--just wait!!




OMG that is sooo true icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Thanks for the input, I guess I was just having one of those days yesterday... The kids don't back talk to me as that is an absolute no no here with any of the kids, however I guess they think cause they are being polite they can just interrupt any time... Child " excuse me excuse me excuse me excuse me excuse me excuse me... 5 mins later...excuse me excuse me excuse me" Me " What!!!" Child "I really like the ball we saw 10 years ago at the store...." me icon_mad.gificon_mad.gif

xstitcher Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 7:19pm
post #11 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by jovigirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyellam

I love first-time parents looking at me with shock thinking to themselves "MY KIDS WILL NEVER DO THAT". I just look them in the eye, smile and think to myself--just wait!!



OMG that is sooo true icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Thanks for the input, I guess I was just having one of those days yesterday... The kids don't back talk to me as that is an absolute no no here with any of the kids, however I guess they think cause they are being polite they can just interrupt any time... Child " excuse me excuse me excuse me excuse me excuse me excuse me... 5 mins later...excuse me excuse me excuse me" Me " What!!!" Child "I really like the ball we saw 10 years ago at the store...." me icon_mad.gificon_mad.gif








" excuse me excuse me excuse me excuse me excuse me excuse me... 5 mins later...excuse me excuse me excuse me" Me " What!!!" Child "I really like the ball we saw 10 years ago at the store...." me icon_mad.gificon_mad.gif[/quote]
icon_lol.gificon_cry.gificon_lol.gificon_cry.gificon_lol.gificon_cry.gif

You had me in tears!!! That sounds just like my house!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

imagine76 Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 4:28pm
post #12 of 14

it only took my son 1 time at the grocery store of leaving a half of a cart of stuff and taking his naughty butt home to figure out how to behave at the store. we have 3 kids and an alone outing is hard to come by. i brought him home, hung up his jacket, and took his sister to the store instead.

we are consistant at home. same rules apply whether company is there or not. we've had a few issues but they know what the consequences are and we mean it. my best friend's little girl knows i'll stick her in time out too!

Carolynlovescake Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 7:43pm
post #13 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by jovigirl



Is their anything I can do to prevent this???

Can anyone help or have any suggestions???




Rope & duct tape.

thumbs_up.gif

My two do that all the time, and lately my oldest does it 24/7.

Last night I made a great dinner, his favorite. I set his plate down in front of him and all it had was 2 pieces of bread and butter.

He looked up at me with tears in his eyes and I told him "if we had another day like today I guarantee you that's what you get for dinner tomorrow night then straight to bed with no dessert or books to read first."

Then I set down his real plate of dinner.

Amazingly enough we've had a perfect day today... so far.

jovigirl Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 7:10pm
post #14 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolynGwen



My two do that all the time, and lately my oldest does it 24/7.

Last night I made a great dinner, his favorite. I set his plate down in front of him and all it had was 2 pieces of bread and butter.

He looked up at me with tears in his eyes and I told him "if we had another day like today I guarantee you that's what you get for dinner tomorrow night then straight to bed with no dessert or books to read first."

Then I set down his real plate of dinner.

Amazingly enough we've had a perfect day today... so far.




Would you have done that with company over? My problem is when other people are watching what I do...
Personally I would have not caved in with a plate of his favorite dinner til the next day once I saw he had behaved...
However the concept is really clever thumbs_up.gif I will have to try it.... icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%