Baby Steps....

Baking By yankeegal Updated 24 Aug 2008 , 7:49pm by littlecake

yankeegal Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 4:42pm
post #1 of 12

For me anyway.
I have a hard time telling people no. I always feel as if I am letting someone down.
Today I told a really obnoxious customer NO. Didn't tell her I was booked-(I'm not) as I would have in the past. Just a flat out no. I don't want to do it. It felt really good!! Of course I obsessed about what to say for about an hour before I called her back. And I worded it as respectfully business like as I could-a lot more than was offered my way.
I want to be treated with a little more respect and today was a small victory in that direction.
Thanks for letting me share!

11 replies
dinas27 Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 4:55pm
post #2 of 12

good for you! feels wonderful to know that you are saving yourself so much stress!

doughdough Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 5:01pm
post #3 of 12

Way to go!! Maybe now this customer will stop and think about her previous behavior (probably not, but hey we can dream!! icon_wink.gif )

cakedout Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 5:06pm
post #4 of 12

Yippee for you!! icon_biggrin.gif

decorators - 1

customers - zippo!

robinscakes Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 5:16pm
post #5 of 12

You'll have to teach me how!

this-mama-rocks Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 5:25pm
post #6 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by robinscakes

You'll have to teach me how!

"I'm sorry, but it's just not possible for me to do that."

No justification, no long-winded explanation. Any responses of "why not" get more of the same. "It's just not possible."

This works with a variety of age groups and situations. icon_wink.gif

TracyLH Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 6:54pm
post #7 of 12

Kudos to you!!!! thumbs_up.gif I also stress about 'letting people down' (even when they are wretched), but as I age, I am starting to learn to get over that. I like what this-mama-rocks said. I just heard yesterday to say, "I am sorry, but I am just not able to do that." No explanations, no drawn out story (usually my problem), just "I am sorry, but I am just not able to do that." It will take some work, but I am going to try to remember that next time someone asks too much of me. Congrats to you for saying what you really wanted to! I bet you took a deep breath after that!

Prudence Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 7:12pm
post #8 of 12

Way to go. Sometimes, saying what you want CAN be a good thing. It surely didn't stop her from being obnoxious!

yummymummy Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 7:24pm
post #9 of 12

Woo Hooo!!! I could use some practice w/ this technique in every day situations too! Way to go!

Cynita Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 7:24pm
post #10 of 12

Way to go!!! You go girl!!!!!!!!!1

Honeydukes Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 1:58pm
post #11 of 12

judge.gif Way to lay down the law!! thumbs_up.gif

littlecake Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 7:49pm
post #12 of 12

it gets easier to say no the more often you do it.

this past year i've told a couple of particularly fussy customers..."i'm sorry, i don't think i can please you."

i didn't say it snotty, just matter of fact, i really felt empowered too after that.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%