Help With Michelle Foster's Fondant

Decorating By dream Updated 22 Aug 2008 , 7:49pm by Sugarflowers

dream Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dream Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 4:31pm
post #1 of 16

I made Michelle Foster's fondant a few days ago and I let it rest per the directions but I wasn't able to use it the day after but tried to use it the day after the 24 hours and it is the consistency of cookie dough. icon_sad.gif I kneaded more powdered sugar in it and even greased my hands with shortening. The fondant tears/breaks when I try to drape it. I would like the nice pliable fondant that I am hearing about. Any help would be appreciated. icon_biggrin.gif

15 replies
thecakebox Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakebox Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 12:25am
post #2 of 16

After it sits the gelatin does solidify so you really have to knead it to get it workable and elastic, I would only add p.s if it was TOO stretchy to work with, which it doesn't sound like it was. hth

dream Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 12:52am
post #3 of 16

The cakebox, thanks for replying. OOPs I guess I thought adding more powdered sugar would help. I guess my next question is now what?ahahhaaha Would microwaving help?

saap1204 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saap1204 Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 1:34am
post #4 of 16

I would try heating it for for 5-10 seconds at a time in the microwave. That will make it pliable again.

dream Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 1:42am
post #5 of 16

Thanks saap1204! I will try that.

calynmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
calynmom Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 1:58am
post #6 of 16

Make sure that you wrap it in saran wrap and then put it in a zip lock bag. Make sure you get out as much air as you can. Maybe that will help next time.

As for now it sounds dry and maybe put a little shortening in would help, while your kneading it. Plus microwaving it for no more than 10 seconds.

HTH

maggiev777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maggiev777 Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 2:10am
post #7 of 16

I use Michele Foster's fondant all the time. When I'm kneading it up from storage in the pantry, I use a good bit of shortening. I grab a small bit at a time (maybe the size of a tennis ball), knead it using shortening to help, and then once I get it good and soft, I set it aside (covered with saran) and grab another chunk and knead til soft (again with shortening, not powdered sugar!), and then knead the two balls together. I keep going until I've got it all soft and combined again.

Then when I am working with it to roll out and put on a cake, I use powdered sugar. This way it has a matte finish on the cake.

My general rules are:
If the fondant seems hard, tough, or dry --> use shortening
If the fondant seems soft and/or sticky --> use powdered sugar

Hope it is working out for you by now!!

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 2:14am
post #8 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggiev777

My general rules are:
If the fondant seems hard, tough, or dry --> use shortening
If the fondant seems soft and/or sticky --> use powdered sugar

Great advice! Thanks for sharing, I'm sure it will be useful to lots of us!! thumbs_up.gif

dream Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 7:00pm
post #9 of 16

Okay I know it has been a while and you all probably thought I solved it but the answer is no. ahahahaha I have attached a picture of my fondant- it is cracking on the sides and shows cracks in the center as well- I have microwaved it- I have added shortening (not that much thought). Thank goodness this is for a cake dummy.
LL

thecakebox Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 7:05pm
post #10 of 16

are you kneading until it is elastic? i would really cover your hands with shortening and keep kneading! it will get there eventually..

Hollysuann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hollysuann Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 7:06pm
post #11 of 16

Looks too dry to me.

dream Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 7:09pm
post #12 of 16

Thanks I will attempt it again. I will take my time and work it out. I love the taste of this fondant and the consistency (day 1) so I will keep at it- thanks for all the help everyone. Again, I made one batch of this and have been fiddling with this colored portion for a while. I may switch to my "white" fondant that hasn't been tampered with and see it there is a difference in consistencies. I have been storing my batch in a zip lock bag. I am just practicing on dummies so there isn't a real rush.

dream Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 7:12pm
post #13 of 16

It probably needs more shortening like everyone is suggesting- I guess since I won't be eating it I will continue to add shortening until I get the right consistency. In the future when I make it for an actual cake I do not want to add so much shortening.

thecakebox Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 7:15pm
post #14 of 16

hang in there icon_smile.gif it takes a few times to know what its supposed to look like at the correct consistency, sometimes you add more p.s than the recipe states, sometimes less. good luck icon_smile.gif and I can tell you from experience the added shortening may sound gross but can't really be tasted in the final product icon_wink.gif

dream Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 7:24pm
post #15 of 16

Okay- quick update. I went to my kitchen and both added shortening and kneaded it and then I put it in there for 15 seconds ( I had tried 10 the times before) and it seems to be working!!!!!!!!!! I just didn't want to use a lot of shortening! I think next time I will measure the gelatin instead of using the envelopes and I will not add too much powdered sugar and that should do the trick. Thanks again for everyone's help. I guess I was being hard headed- plus I am very impatient- I had to walk away from it several times only to bring it out every other day to try at it again. I will try to post the finished product if It all turns out right.

Sugarflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarflowers Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 7:49pm
post #16 of 16

Sometimes when the fondant is a little bit dry, kneading in some more glycerin works better than shortening. The glycerin helps to add softness and stretch.

It may not seem like it, but even a little bit too much gelatin will affect the consistency of the fondant. The amount of powdered sugar added will vary with how much liquid is actually used, the humidity, and how soft or firm you want it. It very rarely takes all of the powdered sugar indicated in the recipe. Just add powdered sugar until the fondant does not droop from the dough hook. This is my very scientific way of deciding if the the fondant is ready to come out of the bowl. If it is flopping around the bowl and looks dry in the bowl, then it will not need more powdered sugar added to it. When kneading, it will probably need some glycerin and or shortening.

HTH

Michele

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%