How Do Edible Images Work?

Decorating By csvess Updated 22 Aug 2008 , 1:30pm by tiggy2

csvess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
csvess Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 4:03pm
post #1 of 6

I have a friend who has asked me to do a Caillou cake for her daughter's birthday. I have not been blessed with the ability to freehand an image and I'm kind of short on time this weekend anyway. It seems like the simplest thing to do would be an edible image.

I know where I can go to get one done. But that's about as far as my knowledge on this subject goes. Does anyone have any tips for finding a good picture to use or what even makes a good image? How does an image get transferred to a cake?

Also, if anyone has any better ideas than an edible image, I'd be happy to consider it.

Thanks in advance!

5 replies
tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 4:24pm
post #2 of 6

Here's a link to a google search for http://images.google.com/images?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rls=RNWE,RNWE:2004-33,RNWE:en&q=Caillou&um=1&sa=N&tab=wi When you find one you like save it to a cd and take that to wherever you are getting the edible image done. They should be able to print it from the cd for you.

Hollysuann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hollysuann Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 6:40pm
post #3 of 6

I did my first EI this past weekend. They print it on a really thin edible paper. I rolled out a square of fondant, brushed some piping gel on the fondant and peeled the image off and laid it on fondant. Set is aside and let it dry. Turned out very cool!!

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 1:44am
post #4 of 6

Make sure the place you're going to get the image done at doesn't enforce the copyright laws. My bakery won't reproduce images for cakes that are copyright protected. As much as I would like for for some of these nice people, I just don't feel like getting fired and slapped with a fine over a 20 dollar cake. Anyways.

Make sure the image you select is well lit. Sometimes I get pictures to make an edible image out of for grad cakes and if the lighting is really bad, the image looks horrible. One time I had a grandma looking like she was bleeding out of her eyes because the scanner really picked up the reds in the photo. Good luck!

csvess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
csvess Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 2:53am
post #5 of 6

Thank you so much ladies for your tips. I appreciate it.

Tiggy2-Thanks for the fantastic images.

Well, tomorrow I'm going to give this thing a try. If anyone has anymore tips for applying the image, I'd be happy to hear it.

Thanks again!

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 1:30pm
post #6 of 6

Apply it before your icing crust if using crusting BC.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%