Tiered Cake Questions

Decorating By karenha Updated 19 Aug 2008 , 1:56pm by leah_s

karenha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karenha Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 1:42pm
post #1 of 3

Hi,
I'm making my first two tiered cake for my son's 1st birthday this weekend. I just have a couple questions -- do you normally use a 6 inch and a 10 inch cake to do this? And because I won't be transporting it anywhere do I still need to use dowels and supports? If I just put one cake on top of the other will that work? Thanks so much!

2 replies
jibbies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jibbies Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 1:55pm
post #2 of 3

The size you use is really determined by the number of people you are planning on serving. I would use the 6 inch for the smash cake and the 10 inch for serving the guests. (10 inch 2 layer does 28 party size pieces). If you want bigger pieces or there are going to be more people increase the size of the bottom tier. I always dowel, it quick and insures no accidents!
Don't forget to post pics! Happy baking.

Jibbies

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 1:56pm
post #3 of 3

You use the size tiers that equal the number of people you need to feed. You can use a 6 and an 8, a 6 and a 9, a 6 and a 10 - it depends on servings, and somewhat on design.

YES you need the dowels to support the 6" cake. No you don't need a center dowel as that is for transporting.

(Of course as we all know, I don't use dowels, even for a little cake like this I use SPS. )

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%