Wholesale Accounts For Cupcakes

Business By btrsktch Updated 19 Aug 2008 , 2:12pm by btrsktch

btrsktch Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 12:53pm
post #1 of 2

I just got asked about doing a wholesale account for cupcakes. I am not yet open for business, but I will have the space and equipment to do large scale orders. Knowing absolutely nothing about wholesale, what kind of things should I ask for and be aware of? How does pricing and delivery work? Any and all info is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

1 reply
btrsktch Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 2:12pm
post #2 of 2

NEVERMIND!

I did some searching and found this question asked quite a bit. Sorry for not searching first!

Anyway, if anyone else is looking for this type of info, I found a great post by Indydebi that bears repeating.

I view "wholesale" as a volume purchase. 1-4 dozen is NOT a volume purchase to me. The restaurant next door to me orders cookies for a weekly catering order he has and I give him a "good neighbor" discount for the 4-5 dozen he gets every Friday. but I do NOT consider 4-5 dozen a volume/wholesale quantity. It's a consistent, regular order, which merits a good-neighbor-consideration from me, but it's not a "wholesale" order.

A discount for volume is given when the orders is large enough or consistent enough to enable you to save money (1) in your supplies expense because you can buy in higher quantity for a cost savings, that you pass on to your customer, or (2) in your productivity so that you save labor costs.

I worked in manufacturing and we frequently got folks who wanted to "buy direct from the factory!", but we had minimum requirements .... and when they only need 50, but our minimum is 2500, then they just can't buy "wholesale".

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%