Safety Issue With Bc Icing Recipe--Please Help!!!!!

Decorating By Cookies4kids Updated 21 Aug 2008 , 3:37pm by FromScratch

Cookies4kids Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 11:56am
post #1 of 20

I have a BC frosting recipe that has cream in it that I want to make for a cupcake order. How long could I safely store that icing in the fridge. My problem is I need to make the frosting 2 weeks ahead as I will be on vacation and have no time to do it when I get back as the order is due the next morning. What do you all think?
Thanks
Lily

19 replies
jibbies Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 12:09pm
post #2 of 20

When I have time I make my bc ahead of time. I use heavy whipping cream in the recipe. I put it in gallon ziplock bags and freeze. It doesn't take long to come back to room temp, rewhip before using (about a minute or so). You should be fine with this route.
Hope this helps.

Jibbies

leah_s Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 12:40pm
post #3 of 20

You can also substitute water with little, if any, noticeable difference in flavor.

BlakesCakes Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 10:14pm
post #4 of 20

I use the Wilton's Extra Special Buttercream recipe (I modify it a bit, off and on) with heavy whipping cream in it. I freeze it all the time and it defrost beautifully--if anything, after freezing, it's smoother and has fewer air bubbles. I don't re-whip it in the mixer after defrosting, but I do give it a good workover with a silicone spatula before attempting to use it.

I have to respectfully disagree with Leahs, though. The addition of the heavy cream makes a huge difference in this recipe when it comes to flavor and texture. The cream cuts the grittiness & sweetness, in my opinion. I haven't made buttercream with only water in years, but I used to freeze that without problems, too.

HTH
Rae

jen1977 Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 2:06am
post #5 of 20

Can you freeze cream? I've been wanting to try cream instead of water, but won't use most of the cream before it goes bad, and we don't usually buy it for anything else.

mrsscholler Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 3:01am
post #6 of 20

if i am just storing the bc in the fridge it only lasts for about a week but if you freeze it it should last a bit longer

cakebaker1957 Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 6:16pm
post #7 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by jibbies

When I have time I make my bc ahead of time. I use heavy whipping cream in the recipe. I put it in gallon ziplock bags and freeze. It doesn't take long to come back to room temp, rewhip before using (about a minute or so). You should be fine with this route.
Hope this helps.

Jibbies

Sorry to jump in but when making your BC with whipping cream do you have to refrigerate it and the cake too that you put it on?? Just a thought

SeriousCakes Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 6:23pm
post #8 of 20

Nope, the sugar to fat ratio acts as a preservative to keep bacteria from forming.

kakeladi Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 6:32pm
post #9 of 20

Cream, of any kind, on it's own cannot be fzn, but when mixed into b'cream poses no problem. As serious-cakes said, the sugar preserves it and it can be kept in the frig about 1 wk. and in fzr 1 yricon_smile.gif

lasvegasmommma Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 6:35pm
post #10 of 20

Sorry to be a bit off topic here... but is the recipe using cream posted on this site? I would really like to try it!

FromScratch Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 6:36pm
post #11 of 20

Just wanted to agree.. the amount of liquid compared to the sugar and fat makes BC's lightened with heavy/whipping cream rather than water have no issues with spoilage. I have a powdered sugar based BC that I hardly every use, but it is shelf stable and has cream in it. icon_smile.gif

Your BC will be perfectly fine in the fridge. I whip mine up again when it thaws.. but you don't have to. icon_smile.gif

staceyboots Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 6:36pm
post #12 of 20

i was hoping that someone would confirm that heavy cream could be frozen. i purchased a liter about 1 a week ago and only used about half of it.

is there any other way that the heavy cream can be stored without it going bad?

srodts Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 6:39pm
post #13 of 20

What about using non dairy creamer? thats what I use in my bc so I dont have any safety issues.

SeriousCakes Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 6:45pm
post #14 of 20

lasvegasmommma-here's mine:

and it is soooo good!!

kakeladi Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 9:09pm
post #15 of 20

The only way you can sucessfully fz cream is to whip it up and fz blobs (spoonfulls) on a cookie sheet. Once they fz you can put them into a plastic bag and remove as many as you need/want at a time.

staceyboots Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 1:26pm
post #16 of 20

thanks, kakeladi!!

sweetcakes Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 1:44pm
post #17 of 20

do you add your cream at the end? If your concerned perhaps you could make your icing, but leave out the cream, then when you need it to do the cake, whip it again before use and add the cream then. Or you could just make it and freeze before you leave town. i too use cream in mine.

woodthi32 Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 1:50pm
post #18 of 20

You won't have any problems with spoilage if you just make it and freeze iticon_smile.gif

CarolAnn Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 2:15pm
post #19 of 20
Quote:
Quote:

You can also substitute water with little, if any, noticeable difference in flavor.

I have to disagree here. I feel using heavy cream or even 1/2 & 1/2 in place of water makes a huge difference in the flavor, richness and texture of my bc. I haven't made my bc with just water in a long time and don't plan to go back.

I would make the bc ahead and freeze it in good zip lock bags. After it's thawed you can re-whip it with your mixer or just stir it up good to fluff it up. I always stir my bc good with a big spoon after it's sat in the frig and it's good as new to go. It hold up just as well with cream as water and as others have said the sugar keeps it from spoiling.

Happy vacation!!

FromScratch Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 3:37pm
post #20 of 20

The best thing for freezing BC (or anything really) is to use a vacuum sealer. I have one of those reynolds hand held vacuum sealers and they work great for this. It was $10 or something like that and the bags are $3 per package.. worth it to be sure that the icing will not have freezer burn. I put plastic wrap on the counter and plop my icing on that and wrap it up and then pop that in the vacuum bag and suck all the air out. It works like a charm.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%