Question For Australians?

Decorating By LindseyLoocy Updated 20 Aug 2008 , 7:23pm by sadiepix

LindseyLoocy Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 6:03am
post #1 of 5

I am facing the possibility of moving to Australia within the next year, (Mount Eliza in Victoria to be precise) and I am just trying to get an idea of what the cake industry is like. Are bakeries everywhere you go or few and far between? It's so overwhelming trying to imagine how things must be in a place you've never been to, any advice and information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks icon_lol.gif

4 replies
Jessica176 Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 7:05am
post #2 of 5

Hi! I am sure you will love it here! I am from Sydney, so can't really speak for Victoria, but I do know that Melbourne has lots of good cake decorating supplies shops and there are lots of talented decorators there. Actually, there are lots of talented decorators Australia-wide. I have noticed in recent years cake decorating has become more popular, while there is not necessarily a specialty bakery on every corner, they are not too hard to find.

If you are looking for some more relevant Australian info, there are 2 different Australian cake decorating forums you could join: - Planet Cake is arguably the best cake studio in Australia, and also runs courses. - Cakes and More is fairly young but is full of Aussie cake decorators of all levels from all over who would be more than willing to give you whatever information you need.

Hope this helps! thumbs_up.gif

jess85 Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 12:33pm
post #3 of 5

I agree with the above post. there are quite a few decorators, but there's always room for more. the trends are a little different over here though, we dont do alot of buttercream, mostly fondant. People seem to be into mud cakes in a big way and traditional fruit is still moderatley popular. Not so many fillings either.
there are great suppliers too.
I'm sure you will love it over here!

LindseyLoocy Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 9:52pm
post #4 of 5

thank you, that is very helpful and reassuring icon_biggrin.gif

sadiepix Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 7:23pm
post #5 of 5 got the info already! (I am slow today!)
Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%