Cake Budget

Decorating By panchanewjersey Updated 19 Aug 2008 , 3:28pm by panchanewjersey

panchanewjersey Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 4:17am
post #1 of 7

Ok, I have a question that I hope many can answer. What do most people use when they make cakes, boxed or all from scratch? I find myself spending and using more than I should and my cake prices don't make up much for any of it. So please help! Any suggestions?

6 replies
ThreeDGirlie Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 4:44am
post #2 of 7

You need to make a spreadsheet and figure out the cost for the recipes you use based on the prices in your area. It's not fun, but it's necessary.

And you need to make sure that if you'll be using 2.5 batches of batter that you're getting paid for 3 (in addition to your hourly "wage" and pofit) since that is what you will have to make to get it.

panchanewjersey Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 4:53am
post #3 of 7

Thanks, make sense. But folks out here aren't willing to pay much for cakes. Everyone goes to Costco and gets 1/2 sheet for $16. I can't do that. But I really hope things get better.

Monna7122 Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 5:21am
post #4 of 7

You do really pretty work and should not compare it to that of Costco. I totally understand people not wanting to pay a higher price. My small town of maybe 5000 is the same way. I have found that the box cakes are not as expensive as doing one from scratch. There are many ways to doctor up a box mix, alot listed in the recipes on this site, to make a spectacular tasting cake that no one would no the difference. HTH

indydebi Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 10:22am
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by panchanewjersey

But folks out here aren't willing to pay much for cakes.

I hear this all the time and if it were true, there wouldn't be a ton of cake decorators out there getting a good market price for their cakes. Yes, they ARE willing to pay a good price for a good cake. You just haven't found them yet. It's soemtimes hard to break out of the walmart-minded-market, but once you find your marketing method that works for you, you'll sit back one day and wonder how you got so busy.

You can't sell a cake for $125 if it costs you $100 to make it. If they want a cake that costs $100 to make, then they are going to have to pay for it. Otherwise, you need to send them on their merry way to walmart.

diamondsonblackvelvet13 Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 11:09am
post #6 of 7

I agree with the previous posters as well. One thing I have found that helps is the mentality you need. You are NOT an employee of a chain bakery; you are a custom baker who specializes in premium product made specifically to the customers discerning taste. You cannot be compared to the local store in any form or fashion. Be proud of your work and know that Wal-Mart or Costco cannot compete. The customers will come. It took me about 9 months before I started really seeing the people show up and accept my prices without hesitation. Keep your head up!

panchanewjersey Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 3:28pm
post #7 of 7

Thanks ladies I guess your right. I should have patience and confidence which I do but sometimes it's like what's the problem? Thanks again.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%