Fortune Cookies

Baking By Chefperl Updated 19 Aug 2008 , 3:48pm by Cookie4

Chefperl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chefperl Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 2:27am
post #1 of 14

I was asked to come up with some fun and out of the ordinary stuff for a bar mitzvah.
One of the things i was thinking about was fortune cookies dipped in chocolate (only half of it) and then rlled in sprinkles to match the decor. Then we would personalize the cookie message.
Has anyone ever made forune cookies? Are they hard to make and time consuming? I guess i will do a trial run on a recipe to see how long it takes but if anyone has some experience i would appreciate it.
thanks,
S

13 replies
Honeydukes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Honeydukes Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 11:12am
post #2 of 14

They are time consuming and "fussy." I think the most I could do on one sheet was four, but three was better. You have to put the fortune in and then fold the cookie before it cools. They don't fold after they cool -- they crack. It's o.k. if you don't have to make too many. We did three dozen of them for a school project. The recipe I used is from Gale Gand.
http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_14485,00.html

I don't know how many you need. If it's a lot and if it were me, I'd order the cookies pre-made with personalized fortunes and then decorate them. There are several places to order from; here are just a few:

http://www.fancyfortunecookies.com/
http://www.myluckyfortune.com/
http://www.customfortunecookie.com/dozen.html

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 12:00pm
post #3 of 14

Wow, myluckyfortune sure makes these affordable! I'd definitely order them and like Honeydukes suggests, persoanlize them by dipping and adding sprinkles.

TracyLH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TracyLH Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 12:24pm
post #4 of 14

Hi! I made fortune cookies and they were delicious! The only problem I had is that the recipe had butter in it and the butter stained the fortune (most unappealing IMHO). The recipe I used was from the Martha webstie (http://www.marthastewart.com/recipe/fortune-cookies?autonomy_kw=fortune%20cookies&rsc=header_2). Again, it was a lovely tuille cookie and delicious, but again, the butter stained the fortune, so watch out for that ingredient. I think that there are other recipes that don't have the butter, but that will change the taste. If you find one that works, please tell us about it! icon_biggrin.gif I just haven't had time to experiement with it more.

GeminiRJ Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 12:50pm
post #5 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracyLH

Hi! I made fortune cookies and they were delicious! The only problem I had is that the recipe had butter in it and the butter stained the fortune (most unappealing IMHO).

Could you use a different type of paper? Most of the options I'm thinking of might be too bulky to work, though.

Chefperl Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 1:06pm
post #6 of 14

thanks for the links, but none of them are kosher so i will have to make them myself. im gonna give it a try before i offer them.

Chefperl Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 1:23pm
post #8 of 14

honeycakes,
how did you find this site i thought i googled everything

Honeydukes Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 1:47pm
post #9 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefperl

honeycakes,
how did you find this site i thought i googled everything

Just searched "kosher fortune cookies." It's what I do all day at the library! icon_lol.gif

TracyLH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TracyLH Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 2:24pm
post #10 of 14

Regarding the paper, it was recommended with the Martha recipe to "Write your message on a long strip of sturdy art paper, such as Japanese moriki." Perhaps the butter does not stain that type, but I didn't have any on hand to try. I used normal paper and also used a different technique, putting the fortune in right before forming it, so perhaps letting it cool first may affect the butter staining (but I am not betting so based on the fact that cooled butter cookies will leave a butter stain). If someone find a good recipe that doesn't leave the the butter staining on the fortunes, please post!

GeminiRJ Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 2:58pm
post #11 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracyLH

If someone find a good recipe that doesn't leave the the butter staining on the fortunes, please post!

Ditto!

emccle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emccle Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 3:04pm
post #12 of 14

I have a recipe I've used before that uses margarine. I don't remember it staining the paper at all. I'll look for it and send it to you. It's been a while since I made them. You'll have to practice shaping them, but once you get it, even though you only make a few at a time, it goes really fast.

mcdonald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcdonald Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 3:20pm
post #13 of 14

I've seen these dipped and decorated for Christmas... I think they are a cute idea

Cookie4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cookie4 Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 3:48pm
post #14 of 14

Here's another thought - try using rice paper with your message written using an edible marker. Or, print on typing paper and have your local bakery/market make an edible images of the whole sheet of paper and then cut into lengths as necessary. Not sure if that's Kosher or not though.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%