Boxes

Decorating By Antgirl Updated 19 Aug 2008 , 2:51am by btexpress

Antgirl Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 2:00am
post #1 of 10

Where do you get boxes for tall cakes? For example, I made a hat box cake for someone this week and a 2-tier birthday cake for someone else. Neither would fit into a standard bakery cake box like I usually buy at the party store. These can handle about a 4" high cake. What about ones that are taller, especially when the customer is picking them up (so you can't assemble onsite)?

9 replies
jibbies Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 2:18am
post #2 of 10

Try this link
http://www.bakingshop.com/cakes/cakeboxes.htm
Hope this helps

Jibbies

saap1204 Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 2:23am
post #3 of 10

I would like to know the answer to that too.

Antgirl Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 2:25am
post #4 of 10

Those are nice boxes but holy moly are they expensive! It would be hard for me to imagine adding $18 to $27 to the cost of a cake that only costs $100 itself, just for the box. Is this the box that everyone uses?

PinkZiab Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 2:37am
post #5 of 10

I use regular cardboard shipping boxes and lay them on their side. You can get them in a whole range of sizes and they're also easy to cut to size if you need to.

Rubiees76 Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 2:39am
post #6 of 10

How do you deal with cheap skates that don't want to pay you what your worth?

Rubiees76 Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 2:41am
post #7 of 10

I'm just so upset this lady that I've made cakes for before is now suddenly telling me she needs to think about the price I gave her...after wasting my time on details and such I don't get it?

marjiw Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 2:41am
post #8 of 10

My DH cuts me boxes from flat card board. We buy many of these flat boards to cut down for picture orders (he is a photographer). You can make them to the right size and hight needed and they are very sturdy. He usually cuts one square to make the bottom more sturdy for the cake. So there is two layers of cardboard on the bottom of the box. We get these sheets of cardboard at the paper company here.

Antgirl Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 2:43am
post #9 of 10

I tell them that my prices don't compete with the local grocery store's bakery, that my cakes and theirs are incomparable and the prices reflect that. If they are on a tight budget, I might not be their best bet. I try not to make anyone feel badly if my price is too high, but I don't apologize for it either. In a way, it's nice that the grocery store provides a cheaper alternative for people when an "artisan" type of cake is beyond their budget.

btexpress Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 2:51am
post #10 of 10

If a customer picks up a tiered cake I put them in an open box that I found at my party store. They are 2" high, fairly sturdy and is just enough to protect the bottom. I also tell them to bring someone with them to hold the cake while they drive.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%