Making Fondant Figures/people/animals?? Help!

Decorating By Holli_Rose Updated 20 Aug 2008 , 3:07am by Holli_Rose

Holli_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Holli_Rose Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 1:51am
post #1 of 12

I want to make people for my cake. However I'm not sure if its possible to do this with fondant? I know gumpaste is an option but really really would love to avoid using it. Just not my thing. Anyways I was wondreing if it was possible to make things out of Marshmellow fondant and if it is how long it will last for and how long in advanced it can be made. Will it harden at all or will it stay soft?

Any help ideas thoughts suggestions opinions would be absolutely great!!! Thanks so much.

11 replies
luvbakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvbakin Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 2:56am
post #2 of 12

You can make it with fondant, but it may not dry hard enough. I have found MMF to be even more soft than other fondants. You could try Wilton...if people aren't going to eat the figures.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 3:17am
post #3 of 12

i usually mix wilton fondant and wilton gumpaste.... this makes a sturdier dough... you're not going to eat it anyway.... it dries so hard... this mixture works great for me.... yes, you can just use fondant too... wilton fonant is sturdier than satin ice, etc.. so it is really good to work with....i usually put my figures in front of a little fan and let it blow until they are dry... supporting figures with speghetti helps too... hth ... i think most people rather use fondant that mmf... that is what i read on this site..

pinklesley1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinklesley1 Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 3:18am
post #4 of 12

you can make them out of fondant, they will take a few days o dry completely but it can be done. and i think that MMF works best bc it is a little stiffer than say pettinice or satinice...

go for it...

u can also mix MMF with a tad of gumpaste to add some rigidity...

they last forever.. i have some in my office that i have had for over 3 years... since i started making cakes... so they last...

the only thing is if you make it with fondant rather than gumpaste they take longer to dry!!!

jibbies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jibbies Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 3:20am
post #5 of 12

Just curious hollirose, why the aversion to gumpaste? I use it for all the inedible parts of decorating. It seems that it dries harder than fondant. Not judging just asking

Jibbies

kellertur Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellertur Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 3:28am
post #6 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinklesley1

they last forever.. i have some in my office that i have had for over 3 years...

What keeps insects away from the figures, when they are pure sugar? I've wondered this... and I am paranoid about leaving fondant out period. (I know I'm not supposed to, but I refridgerate when working with sugarpaste.) What's the secret? Are they coated in something to seal them?

thanks icon_smile.gif

pinklesley1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinklesley1 Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 3:34am
post #7 of 12

you do not have to seal them but you can... you can spray them after they come off the cake with spray varnish...

i dont have my display cakes sprayed with anything... but what i do do is buy a ton of those ant things and my office gets fumigated once a month...

some ants seem to favor some cakes more than other.. dont know why that is.. my topper has never had ants on it, but then i have a cake that had sand on it, and it got FULL of ants, so i dusted the sand off, and then sprayed the cake with pepermint oil (thats another secret) i use an all organic and all natural fumigation company that uses eucalyptus oils and pepermint oils (they complain that my job is the worst that they need to contend with)-i put them to the test...

so yeah.. sorry so long... all natural ant repellents...

inspireddecorator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
inspireddecorator Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 4:02am
post #8 of 12

I make my figures out of 3/4 fondant and 1/4 gumpaste. They dry pretty good. It takes a week to dry hard, but the inside is probably a bit soft still, but you can't tell. Mine always seem to turn out. But it's also very dry where I am. Of course as always, the longer it has to dry, the harder it will be.

bigmama1961 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bigmama1961 Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 4:22am
post #9 of 12

I USE HALF FONDANT AND HALF GUMPAST.WORKS GREAT FOR ME AND EASY TO WORK WITH

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 11:39am
post #10 of 12

I use commercial fondant and a tsp. of tylose powder. I've made pieces out of MMF, but they never hardened!! Humidity plays a factor.

TJCanadian Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TJCanadian Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 1:56pm
post #11 of 12

I use straight wilton fondant but its very dry here so things dry up well, I too have kept fondant figures like the little fairy that is my avotar... its in my daughter's room in a little display box because its from her birthday cake last year.

Holli_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Holli_Rose Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 3:07am
post #12 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jibbies

Just curious hollirose, why the aversion to gumpaste? I use it for all the inedible parts of decorating. It seems that it dries harder than fondant. Not judging just asking

Jibbies

This is gonna be a pretty stressful cake to do all together so I'm very worried about working with something I have yet to work with. Even the wilton fondant I've never worked with but I'm willing to give it a shot seems its fondant rather than something completely different.

I may have to buy some gum paste in the very near future and just play with it for a while. I've found I have adversions to things until I use them and know how their going to work. I'm too much of a perfectionist to walk into something without knowing how it will work. Drives me nuts on too many levels!!

Thank you all so much! I'm gonna try the Wilton fondant and hope the fan works at drying them! (thank you for that suggestion never would have thought of it!) I live in NH so I never know when it is gonna be humid and when it isn't! Blah!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%