Cracked 14'' Cakes "i Need Some Help Here Please"

Decorating By sweetums1957 Updated 21 Aug 2008 , 12:16pm by karensue

sweetums1957 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetums1957 Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 12:53am
post #1 of 16

I am making a over the hill cake for a surprise birthday party for my best friend and nothing has gone right today. I dont know what i am doing wrong, but maybe you all can give me some tips on getting a 14'' cake out of the pans with out it cracking on me. I do ok with the 12'' and down but i made a mess of the 14'' cakes they are all crumbled up. So i need to know how to do this right because i am baking my youngest daughters wedding cake in a month and i sure dont need a mess like this. I am about to forget the ideal of baking her cake and she really wants me to. So PLEASE help me with this and tell me how you all get your cakes out of the pans. I let them set 10 mins in the pans like i have read everywhere that i am suppose to do but maybe on the larger cakes like this you are suppose to leave them longer?? Please let me know something.

Thank You
Patticakes

15 replies
turtle3264 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
turtle3264 Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 1:18am
post #2 of 16

I always spray my pans and use wax paper in the bottom. I also use a flower nail in the center. None of my cakes have stuck since using the wax paper. Good luck with your cakes.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 5:39am
post #3 of 16

The other day I was baking and although I'd greased and floured the sides of the pan, I'd forgotten to put in my parchment paper circle. icon_mad.gif

I scooped out the batter, washed the pan, re-greased & floured the pan, and then re-added the batter--I just knew I'd be sorry if I chanced not having that parchment circle in the bottom. icon_wink.gif

I can honestly say that by always following this pattern, I haven't had a cake break when I've removed it from the pan. I let them cool in the pan for about 10 mins. and then turn them out.

HTH
Rae

JodieF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JodieF Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 9:16pm
post #4 of 16

Be sure you have a cooling rack large enough to support the whole cake too!

Bossy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bossy Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 9:31pm
post #5 of 16

I use Jennifer Dontz's method of lining the entire inside of the pan with wax paper. Then I leave the wax paper on until I place the layer where I want, it makes the layers so much easier to handle.

sweetums1957 Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 3:08pm
post #6 of 16

The problem i am having is turning the cakes out of the pans they are breaking, into. They are not sticking to the pans. its just when i am turning them out and them being so large i can not support them enough with the other hand and half of them are falling out before the other half. I hope this makes since.
Thank you for your replies. I will try the parchment paper on them from now on.

Patticakes

SweetArt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetArt Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 3:52pm
post #7 of 16

Don't try to flip them out onto you hand. Level the cake then put the cooling rack directly on top of the cake and flip it over. That way the cake is always fully supported.

abslu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
abslu Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 8:24pm
post #8 of 16

I agree with SweetArt! I had breaking problems too until I started putting my cooling rack right on top of the pan and flipping the whole thing over. Works great!! Good luck!! thumbs_up.gif

NikkiDoc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NikkiDoc Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 8:31pm
post #9 of 16

Try letting them cool in the pans on the rack for about 10-15 minutes longer than your smaller sized ones. Since they are bigger they take longer to cool enough to get out of the pan in one piece. I was having this problem as well. Every time I baked a larger cake like that they cracked. I discovered that I was letting them cool for the same amount of time as I was letting my standard 9" cakes cool for and it just wasn't working. Since I've been letting them cool for 20-25 minutes in the pan, they come out without cracks and breaks. If you are worried about them not releasing, have a hot wash cloth ready and if it doesn't come out immediately onto the rack (rack on top of cake as suggested above), rub your pan with the hot cloth. Works every time.

aileenlnbh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aileenlnbh Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 8:34pm
post #10 of 16

Hi im only a newbie so i hope you wont mind me replying (im not an expert, its just that i found this helped me so maybe it will help you!). I had to do a couple of 14" cakes and had the same trouble as you. I followed two bits of advice that I got from a master baker from Youtube - grease my pans using a brush with this mixture (i swear my cakes have never came out easier) - 1 cup of lard (think in the States this is called Crisco but its vegetable shortening (white), 1 cup of all purpose flour and 3/4 cup oil (natural unflavoured like canola). Also, support the whole cake right onto your cooling rack, by putting the rack on top of your tin and flipping over. icon_razz.gif let me know if you make the mixture and what you think (ps it saves money on the fancy sprays!!)

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 9:02pm
post #11 of 16

Cooling rack, sheet pan, even your cake circle. That thing has to be supported when flipping. I'll flip as soon as I can handle the pan w/o getting burnt. Then I'll leave the pan on while it sets up, and does the carry over thing. icon_biggrin.gif

Mike

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 9:21pm
post #12 of 16
trixe371 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
trixe371 Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 9:27pm
post #13 of 16

great I have that problem also, Im going to try that. icon_rolleyes.gif

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 9:53pm
post #14 of 16

You have gotten some good advice. I just wnat to make sure you understand the cake needs just a bit more cooling time; it needs to be level on the top (which will be on down on the rack) and that you put your rack on top of the cake, then flip everything over as one unit.
To be sure the cake is level, use a cake saw/leveler or a knife that is long enough to go from one side of the pan to the other and cut off anything that protrudes above the pan.
For any further handeling make sure the cake is *cold*. This makes it firmer. Stick it into the fzr for maybe 15 minutes or until you can feel it is cold on the bottom of the rack.

sweetums1957 Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 9:59am
post #15 of 16

Thank you all for all the wonderful advice. I baked another 14'' cake yesterday and lined it with parchment paper and then let it cool about 25 mins. and then flipped it with a large round cake plate to help me support it and all came out GREAT.

Thank You again
patticakes

karensue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karensue Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 12:16pm
post #16 of 16

I always use a masonite or plastic cake board to flip. I place a piece of wax paper on top of cake, put the board on top of paper, put my hands on top of board and side of cake pan and flip. I've never had a problem with cracking and I don't level my cakes until I'm ready to fill and ice them. The large cakes really do need support.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%