Question About Refrigeration

Decorating By kutabby Updated 19 Aug 2008 , 8:40pm by ceshell

kutabby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kutabby Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 9:50pm
post #1 of 8

I'm still confused on when do and don't refrigerate. I'm a little slow sometimes icon_redface.gif
I know my cakes are good out of the fridge as long as they are wrapped up well. But I'm confused about fillings. I have a cream cheese and buttercream filling that I use. Now that I'm starting to use fondant I don't know what to do. I've seen on here that putting fondant in the fridge is not reccomended - especially since I'm in KS, very humid. But, if the fondant cake has cream cheese or buttercream fillling, what do I do? Do I have to wait until the day of to do all my decorating? Does it make a difference if I'm using MMF? Thanks!

7 replies
PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 10:09pm
post #2 of 8

I only work in fondant and refrigerate ALL of my cakes, without exception. I have never had issues with this. I don't work with MMF, however, which is quite popular here, so I don't know if that makes a difference.

karensue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karensue Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 10:22pm
post #3 of 8

I don't refrigerate my cakes. Once they are iced, they're sealed and stay fresh and moist. Rather than cream cheese icing/filling, I use the LorAnn cheesecake flavoring -- it's a delicious substitute and I don't have to worry about refrigeration. It seems I always have "air bubbles/blow outs" when I refrigerate, so I avoid it. (I'm from Kansas, too.)

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 10:30pm
post #4 of 8

If the filling is made w/real cr ch then it does need to be refrig'd.
If the filling is b'cream - no need...just let it sit out.

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 5:53am
post #5 of 8

I've refrigerated MMF cakes before, with mixed results. There is definitely a risk of ending up with a wet, sticky, shiny cake unless you have enough time to let it dry off untouched after you take it out of the fridge. I would advise against refrigerating for more than a day if you are using bright colors; I had some leftover MMF-decorated cuppies I kept in the fridge (cream cheese icing ironically) and the black fondant totally ran by day two.

I've read so many posts from people who have state that you can definitely refrigerate cakes covered with commercial fondant. I am thinking of buying Satin Ice next time I know I am doing a covered cake that needs to stay refrigerated.

On the flip side, Earlene's cakes has a cream cheese frosting recipe that she claims is room-temperature stable for about 1 week. I still get a little leery of using CC without refrigeration but you can see that she uses it all the time in her shop http://www.earlenescakes.com/icings.htm

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 10:51am
post #6 of 8

I agree with ceshell! I've successfully refrigerated FondX but MMF for me does not cooperate in the fridge. It became very sticky, shiny and never really dried out.

kutabby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kutabby Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 7:44pm
post #7 of 8

So, I've called all over town and cannot find anyone that carries the Butavan that that is called for in Earlene's recipe. Can I sub something for it?

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 8:40pm
post #8 of 8

Lots of people here use butavan, it's just a flavoring ("buttery vanilla" is how I've seen it described.) I have never used it but I'd bet you could just substitute vanilla in a pinch, wouldn't be exactly the same but if you have really good vanilla I'll bet it would work OK.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%