Who's With Me???

Decorating By mrsscholler Updated 21 Aug 2008 , 5:15pm by sweettoothmom

mrsscholler Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsscholler Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 9:06pm
post #1 of 66

I was thinking about how great it feels to open your email to find that you have a new cake comment. I think that more people should be able to experience that feeling more often. I think that everyone should feel great about all their hard work. I am going to make a pact to comment each picture that i look at in the galleries. I think some others should do the same. Whether the comment is positive or a suggestion to better the apperance of the cakes it is always nice to hear some sort of feedback. So whos with me?

65 replies
mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 9:16pm
post #2 of 66

Oh a lot of us on CC are with you on this one. It's always nice to see a comment on your work or suggestions to make it better. I try to comment on every photo that I look at.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 9:48pm
post #3 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsscholler

.... or a suggestion to better the apperance of the cakes it ...

Careful.....some who ask for "honest" feedback, don't really want that. There have been some heated threads on this.

Jocmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jocmom Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 11:46pm
post #4 of 66

I try to find something positive to say about every photo that I open. I'm just bumming that no one has commented on my first sugar beer bottle cake that I posted yesterday. It's okay . . . I don't mind . . . no . . . really . . . I'm fine. icon_cry.gif

lol

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 5:12am
post #5 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jocmom

I try to find something positive to say about every photo that I open. I'm just bumming that no one has commented on my first sugar beer bottle cake that I posted yesterday. It's okay . . . I don't mind . . . no . . . really . . . I'm fine. icon_cry.gif

lol

It's fabulous darlin'!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

KKC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KKC Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 5:28am
post #6 of 66

I love the sugar beer bottles, do u mind sharing ur instructions on how to create them?

raquel1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
raquel1 Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 5:39am
post #7 of 66

I make it a point to spend a certain amount of time just commenting on cakes that have gone "under the radar" just for that reason. I haven't posted any myself just because I'm "challenged" icon_lol.gif in that area, I can't even figure out how to do an avatar. I know there have been many posts on that subject but when I'm on CC it is my down time and don't feel like heavy thinking...

xstitcher Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 6:50am
post #8 of 66

sorry duplicate post!!! icon_redface.gificon_redface.gificon_redface.gif

see and I still mess up, should have put this as the second one icon_redface.gificon_redface.gif . I think my bed is calling me.......

xstitcher Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 6:51am
post #9 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by raquel1

but when I'm on CC it is my down time and don't feel like heavy thinking...

I'm with you on that one!!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Jocmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jocmom Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 11:20am
post #10 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kivia

I love the sugar beer bottles, do u mind sharing ur instructions on how to create them?

Thanks - The hardest part about making the bottles is getting the mold off after the sugar cools. There are some ready-made molds out there, but I use this stuff called Amazing Mold Putty. They sell it at Hobby Lobby and Michael's. Follow the instructions for making the mold.

I wrap the mold loosely with foil and place it inside of a thick beer mug. The foil gives you a little insulation between the hot mold and the glass. The mug that I use has thick glass - which is important when working with HOT sugar.

I only make one bottle at a time because the sugar hardens FAST and is blistering hot:

Mix 1/4 cup of corn syrup and 1/4 cup of granulated sugar in a Pyrex measuring cup. Heat it in the microwave for 2 1/2 minutes. You may have to experiment here depending on your microwave. You can always pop it back in the microwave, but once you over cook it there's no turning back. The sugar mixture will be bubbling and turn amber.

Remove it from the microwave and allow it to cool for 30 seconds. The sugar continues to darken and thickens a little during this time.

SLOWLY pour the hot sugar into your mold. If this stuff splashes onto your skin, you won't have a hard time remembering to pour slowly ever again. Put the measuring cup in a sink full of warm, soapy water. You'll thank me later.

Rotate and tilt the mug so that the sugar coats the inside of the mold evenly. Continue so that you have an even coating or your beer bottle will be thin in spots and will crack.

Use hot pads to lift the mold out of the mug, and invert the mold over a large paper cup. This allows the excess sugar to drain out. You may have to peel the paper cup off of the mold because the sugar that drains out will be rock hard once it cools completely.

Then wait until the mold is cool to the touch. If the sugar isn't cool it'll stick to the mold, or become warped when you try to remove it from the mold.

Carefully roll the mold off of the sugar beer bottle. If your mold is too thick, it won't be pliable enough and will rip. If the mold is too hot, you'll burn yourself. Your mold may turn inside out, but you can always invert it and use it again.

I hope I didn't ramble on too long. PM me if you need more help. I got these instructions from someone that does fantastic work (Cami5271 from the Wilton web site).

KeltoKel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KeltoKel Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 11:47am
post #11 of 66

So many really awesome cakes go unnoticed each day. I became a gallery member supporter b/c I truly enjoy looking at other cakes and learning something from each one. I see beauty and talent in all of them. But, I am amazed at how many REALLY creative and beautiful cakes get over looked on the front page and end up in the uncommented area.

But, yes, I agree that it feels great to have your work get a comment.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 11:49am
post #12 of 66

I agree with IndyDebi -

Even if the owner of the pic appreciates constructive criticism, and takes it as a helping hand, there is always going to be three more people who will get hostile toward you if you make a comment on how you think the cake, etc, could be improved.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 12:06pm
post #13 of 66

Most people just want that pat on the back when they post a picture, I think. Some will ask for suggestions on how to improve it, but the majority want positive feedback. I used to think it wasn't that big a deal to make a comment, but when I started posting, I noticed how important it became when I got a few comments! It really does make your day brighter. So I try to comment when I have the time....just wish I had more of it!

LadyMike Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LadyMike Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 12:19pm
post #14 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeltoKel

So many really awesome cakes go unnoticed each day. I became a gallery member supporter b/c I truly enjoy looking at other cakes and learning something from each one. I see beauty and talent in all of them. But, I am amazed at how many REALLY creative and beautiful cakes get over looked on the front page and end up in the uncommented area.

But, yes, I agree that it feels great to have your work get a comment.

DITTO!!! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif Very well said!

LadyMike icon_smile.gif

Aliwis000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Aliwis000 Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 12:34pm
post #15 of 66

I agree, I try to comment on as many as I can. I ask for suggestions and mean it lol I know I am not the best ever, never will be, but I can become better then I am and where better to start that process then at CC?

I also like the idea of trying to comment on at least one of the photots of someone who commented on yours. I think I have one or two left, but everytime I get one I try to make an effort to look for their cakes and comment. I know some of you ladies get 100s (grrr lol jk) and that would be hard but for me it works!

Alicia

DollyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DollyCakes Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 1:55pm
post #16 of 66

I also try to comment on at least a few every day.

I truly do not want constructive criticism on our cakes that we post...we are our own worst critics so we already know what we could have done better. We only want pure wonderful praise! icon_lol.gif

I do find it so strange that we can slap some pirouette cookies on the sides of a cake and wrap some ribbon around it and get all kinds of kudos, but one we really put a lot of heart into - one from yesterday with painted toile pattern and a handmade teacup and saucer - gets ONE comment and NO favorites...I really don't get it. I mean, almost 40 people looked at it so far, and one person bothered to say anything....am I blind, is it an unappealing cake?

Sorry, I didn't mean to go off on a tangent there! icon_confused.gif

Anyway, I do try and will continue to comment on as many cakes as I can!

nannie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nannie Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 2:22pm
post #17 of 66

OMG Dolly,

thank you for pointing out your new cake. I admit I passed it over because the thumbnail did not do it justice.

You did an amazing job and I'd like to know how you did the cup and saucer.

thanks for sharing your talent.

calynmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
calynmom Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 2:33pm
post #18 of 66

I totally agree. I did a mouse/cheese cake that I entered in the local fair and didn't receive one comment on it.
Now I know that it's been done before but I was really proud of it. And it did win first place.
So I make every effort to comment on cakes. I welcome critique on my cakes. Isn't that what were here for.????

pmaucher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pmaucher Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 2:41pm
post #19 of 66

Since I finally figured out how to post my pictures, I now understand how important it is to receive comments on your cake.

I for one would love to have constructive criticism. I am new at cake decorating, so any help is appreciated. At home, family and friends say the cake is "wonderful and nothing should be changed", even though I hate it. I think thats because they dont have the imagination and talent that we have. But to have an equal tell you the positive and negative's of your cake is a valuable training tool. Each cake I make is getting better because of the things I have learned off this site. Thank you

SO BRING IT ON LADIES, GIVE ME THE CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM! thumbs_up.gif

Pam

CakeMakar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMakar Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 2:48pm
post #20 of 66

Of course, they're are always the threads about "please don't leave vague/patronizing/"that cake is pretty" comments - say something specific to me."

HoosierMomOf5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HoosierMomOf5 Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 2:51pm
post #21 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by DollyCakes

I truly do not want constructive criticism on our cakes that we post...we are our own worst critics so we already know what we could have done better. We only want pure wonderful praise! icon_lol.gif

I have to agree....a little. I know each and every flaw in each and every cake. I'd rather a million views and no comments than one little "you should have done XXXXX "........unless I ask. THEN I don't mind if they cut loose on me. LOL Or worse (to me) is the pity comment. The ones where it is super-obvious that they are just searching for something nice to say. It's ok to ignore me, I swear. I'll gladly accept that pure wonderful praise only if someone really thinks my cake deserves it. icon_lol.gif

stephaniescakenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephaniescakenj Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 2:52pm
post #22 of 66

I feel the pain too! I did a cake for my best friend a few weeks ago. I thought the colors were really striking, it had big oversized flowers on top, I thought for sure some people would like it...but it spent no time on the front page and hardly got any notice. I was pretty bummed especially because some of the favorites of the day were special.. of course, but I thought mine would get equal notice as well. I too try to comment on photos as often as I can, it really does brighten my day to know someone else appreciates my work so I try to do the same for others. It would be nice to see a larger block of photos on the front page each day too. I don't always have the opportunity to page through the galleries every day so I miss alot, it would be nice if we could see the top 10 or maybe the title "Popular Cake Photos - Added Today" could be a link to a full page with all the popular photos from that day.

saramachen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saramachen Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 2:53pm
post #23 of 66

I make it a habit to post a comment about every cake i look at... but sometimes if i am looking for something specific for inspiration i forget... And i try to every time i come to CC to look at and comment about all the cakes in the newly posted section... but they move out soooo fast. I had an ocean cake i posted today on the home page for all of 1/2 hour before it was bumped off with new cakes... makes it hard for some of the cakes to get exposure.

I try to put what i like best about the cake, as well as how nice it is...

raquel1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
raquel1 Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 3:08pm
post #24 of 66
Quote:

I also try to comment on at least a few every day.

I do find it so strange that we can slap some pirouette cookies on the sides of a cake and wrap some ribbon around it and get all kinds of kudos, but one we really put a lot of heart into - one from yesterday with painted toile pattern and a handmade teacup and saucer - gets ONE comment and NO favorites...I really don't get it. I mean, almost 40 people looked at it so far, and one person bothered to say anything....am I blind, is it an unappealing cake?

Sorry, I didn't mean to go off on a tangent there! icon_confused.gif

Anyway, I do try and will continue to comment on as many cakes as I can!

Hi DollyCakes: what happens a lot is that the front/home page pic. doesn't do it justice. For that reason I usually check out the ones that don't look so good there and have been pleasantly surprised almost everytime...
I love your cake, did you take the teacup class with Jaque Benson? I'm taking that class Oct. 20th and can't wait, I could just jump out of my skin and do a happy dance with myself icon_biggrin.gif Now, the toille painting is a little out of my league...very beautiful.

DollyCakes Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 3:42pm
post #25 of 66

[quote="raquel1"]

Quote:

Hi DollyCakes: what happens a lot is that the front/home page pic. doesn't do it justice. For that reason I usually check out the ones that don't look so good there and have been pleasantly surprised almost everytime...
I love your cake, did you take the teacup class with Jaque Benson? I'm taking that class Oct. 20th and can't wait, I could just jump out of my skin and do a happy dance with myself icon_biggrin.gif Now, the toille painting is a little out of my league...very beautiful.

Thank you everyone for your kind comments and all the commiserating on the injustice of it all! icon_razz.gif

Raquel, no we didn't take the teacup class. I just got a real teacup and saucer and molded the gumpaste inside the cup and on top of the saucer. I let it dry, and then sanded the edges with sandpaper (very gently) and then painted the edges with gold luster dust and alcohol, and the rest of it painted with super pearl luster dust and alcohol. I think it turned out pretty well - it definitely has flaws, but you really can't see them after the roses are in place.
Now the toile is truly no big deal. It's a stencil that I bought at a cake store. It's for a purse cake by Nick Lodge, but I adapted it to use for this round cake instead. It's just painted on with royal icing - was actually pretty simple.
I'd love to take the teacup class - how fun!!! You'll have to post some pics of your projects in there!

spunkybear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
spunkybear Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 4:07pm
post #26 of 66

For some that are NOT getting feedback and want it, you might also make sure the comment feature is not checked off when you post the pic! icon_confused.gif

nannie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nannie Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 4:15pm
post #27 of 66

Dollycakes:

thanks for the explaination of the cup and saucer.

a followup question: did you put anything (crisco or cornstartch) on the cup to keep the gumpast from sticking? Did it come out easily?

thanks

icon_biggrin.gif

DollyCakes Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 4:29pm
post #28 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by nannie

Dollycakes:

thanks for the explaination of the cup and saucer.

a followup question: did you put anything (crisco or cornstartch) on the cup to keep the gumpast from sticking? Did it come out easily?

thanks

icon_biggrin.gif

Cornstarch sprinkled in the cup and on the saucer. The saucer came off really easily. The cup I had to work with for a while. I got a really thin knife and very gently lifted the edges and just kept going around it until it popped out. The handle I added on with royal icing.

KKC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KKC Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 4:59pm
post #29 of 66

Jocmom, thanks so much for the instructions...if i have more questions i'll be sure to ask. Thanks again!

robinscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
robinscakes Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 5:14pm
post #30 of 66

I make it a point to comment on any photo that I open that doesn't have a comment on it. I'll usually comment on every one, but occasionally I'll skip it if the cake has 9000 comments on it already.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%