Wilton Courses

Decorating By eliciag Updated 19 Aug 2008 , 2:43am by marjiw

eliciag Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eliciag Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 8:36pm
post #1 of 11

I just wanted some opinions. I have been making and decorating cookies for years and now I am interested in trying to do cakes also. Did you take any of the Wilton Cake Courses that are offered by Michael's and/or Joann's? If so, did you think it was worth it? Any opinions are greatly appreciated! Thank You.

10 replies
DeniseFL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseFL Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 9:08pm
post #2 of 11

hey there..
I took 1 and 4 wilton's course and in someway they are worth it..
the 1 I was very excited and learned a lot..but 4 I knew everything from trying new stuff at home..
I am gonna take 2 and 3... there is always something new to learn

eliciag Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eliciag Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 12:36am
post #3 of 11

Thanks. I think I will go sign up for the course. I guess it can't hurt. Thanks for your opinion.

sandykay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sandykay Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 1:16am
post #4 of 11

To honestly answer your question it depends on what you already know and what you want to learn. I currently am a Wilton Method teacher and you can/do learn alot. I have had students who have decorated for years being self taught say they have learned something. I try to make the classes fun, so it comes down to what skills you want to walk away with. I started out taking only Course I, then 13 years later I went back to finish.

Hope this helps, feel free to email me it you have any other guestions I can answer. I can decorate, but do better as a teacher. Once someone told me there are those who can decorate and not teach, and those who may not decorate as well, but are good at explaining/showing how to decorate to others.

marybible Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marybible Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 1:58am
post #5 of 11

I took the four courses and loved them. I couldn't do cakes now if it wasn't for the classes. And it helped that I had a totally awesome teacher.

msulli10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msulli10 Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 2:07am
post #6 of 11

I took all 4 courses and thought they were great. Between the courses and this website, I've come a long way. The courses are so reasonable. It's definitely worth it.

saap1204 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saap1204 Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 2:13am
post #7 of 11

I have taken the first three Wilton courses and really learned a lot--I had an awesome instructor. I am waiting for them to offer the fondant/gumpaste class; I am really looking forward to that one. I bought the kit and book so I may have to start that one soon. The Joanne's by me does not seem to offer the classes as frequently as in the past.

Shanille21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shanille21 Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 2:14am
post #8 of 11

I took course one and loved it. had a great teacher. That was about two years ago. i decide to take course 2 which stared in the begining of the month. i only went to the first class and didnt go back. there were so many disruptions and the teacher wasnt really that interested in really teaching. so i guess it does depend on the teacher. but it dosent hurt to try' they are reasonally priced so if you decied you dont like it...it wont break the bank. no matter what you decied have fun.

~Shannon

mgdsue02 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgdsue02 Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 2:23am
post #9 of 11

I have taken all four courses and learned quite a bit. My teacher was great. Taking the courses gave me a lot of confidence.

Arriva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Arriva Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 2:37am
post #10 of 11

For me, taking the courses were very beneficial. I also think it helps to take from various instructors. They all have something to share.

marjiw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marjiw Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 2:43am
post #11 of 11

Our instructor here is the best and I learned so much. I definitely recommend them. Like was said before, there is always something you can learn and you definitely get practice in. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%