A Request For A 9/11 Cake - What Do I Do????

Decorating By this-mama-rocks Updated 21 Aug 2008 , 4:05pm by this-mama-rocks

this-mama-rocks Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 6:55pm
post #1 of 16

I am seriously conflicted and hesitant about this.

Friend of a neighbor recently saw and ate one of my not-too-disastrous efforts (I'm still pretty new at this). I guess neighbor must have given her my number. Today she left a message, asking me to do a 9/11 remberence cake. Her family/close friends (about 40 people) will attend a religious service honoring a lost family member, then convene at her home.

All she said was she wants is a "tasteful, sensitive design that honors everyone who was lost that day". I am clueless for an idea about an appropriate design, and I'm just not sure that I am up to this task in the first place.

On one hand, I am flattered that she would ask me, as I realize this is very important to her. On the other hand, I have only made a few cakes for family/friends and I am terrified creating something that does not appropriately address the circumstances of the event. Maybe I am just projecting my feelings that eating cake is not the best way to acknowledge her loss. But then again, I haven't walked in her shoes, so how do I know what's best and what's not...

Do I accept? Decline? Anyone have an idea for an appropriate design? I really don't know what to do, so any advice or help is greatly appreciated.

15 replies
Bettycrockermommy Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 9:40pm
post #2 of 16

do you have an edible image printer? I think that this picture is beautiful.

http://www.scrubair.com/about.html

this-mama-rocks Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 9:58pm
post #3 of 16

Bettycrockermommy, it IS beautiful!

I don't have an edible image printer, but I can "make do" without one. Just found out that the lady lost her family member in DC, so I am thinking of a way to incorporate that info into the design. (sigh)

Thank you so much for getting me started!

weirkd Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 10:10pm
post #4 of 16

A picture of the towers with the words Remember on it.

CakeMakar Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 10:13pm
post #5 of 16

Lots of cake stores do edible images. You just bring in your photo (maybe on disc - call and ask which they want.) and they print it out right there. I've even gotten a local bakery to make them for me.

Bettycrockermommy Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 10:19pm
post #6 of 16

I'm glad I could help. I think that whatever you come up with will be beautiful! I can't wait to see it.

cinderspritzer Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 12:36am
post #7 of 16

you could do a flag with ''remember'' or something piped onto the cake board. it would probably be simple enough since you say you're fairly new to decorating, and it would really make a statement, and less is more is good to keep in mind... icon_smile.gif

jammjenks Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 5:26pm
post #8 of 16

My first thought was an American flag. Since it was in DC, maybe you could carve a Pentagon shape out of a square and drape a fondant flag across the top.

Michelle104 Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 2:23am
post #9 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by jammjenks

My first thought was an American flag. Since it was in DC, maybe you could carve a Pentagon shape out of a square and drape a fondant flag across the top.

This idea gets my vote as well. Very tasteful and elegant. You could still do the "remember"or "we'll never forget"

Tona Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 2:45am
post #10 of 16

Great Ideas I like the edible image with the towers . This is a time in our lives we will never forget.

SandyLemke Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 2:47am
post #11 of 16

I just can't see the people cutting into the building. I don't know. this is so tough. If it were me I wouldn't overthink this one. I would make it as plain as possible ...I like the "remember" suggestion...flag...good...ribbons...

this is definitely hard. I do think when we make our cakes, remember, they must be cut and eaten at some point, and think: what are we asking them to cut and eat?

respectfully, Sandy

scgriffiths Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 3:12am
post #12 of 16

I vote for the edible image. It's a beautiful picture, and I think it conveys respect.

Michelle104 Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 3:30am
post #13 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyLemke

I just can't see the people cutting into the building. I don't know. this is so tough. If it were me I wouldn't overthink this one. I would make it as plain as possible ...I like the "remember" suggestion...flag...good...ribbons...

this is definitely hard. I do think when we make our cakes, remember, they must be cut and eaten at some point, and think: what are we asking them to cut and eat?

respectfully, Sandy

I hadn't really thought about it that way.....I do agree with you Sandy and the picture is beautiful....good luck.....

jammjenks Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 2:59pm
post #14 of 16

I hope I can get this pic to post. I just got it in an email and I thought it may be a good option for your cake.
LL

Lady_Phoenix Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 3:06pm
post #15 of 16

jammjenks, that picture is wonderful! Perhaps you could make it on gum paste or cold porcelain and have it standing upright on the cake The host family could keep it as a memento. That way they would not have to cut into it. For the top of the cake, you could make a flag? HTH

this-mama-rocks Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 4:05pm
post #16 of 16

Thank you all so much for your wonderful ideas!

I am feeling a lot better about doing this!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%