A Request For A 9/11 Cake - What Do I Do????

Decorating By this-mama-rocks Updated 21 Aug 2008 , 4:05pm by this-mama-rocks

this-mama-rocks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
this-mama-rocks Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 6:55pm
post #1 of 16

I am seriously conflicted and hesitant about this.

Friend of a neighbor recently saw and ate one of my not-too-disastrous efforts (I'm still pretty new at this). I guess neighbor must have given her my number. Today she left a message, asking me to do a 9/11 remberence cake. Her family/close friends (about 40 people) will attend a religious service honoring a lost family member, then convene at her home.

All she said was she wants is a "tasteful, sensitive design that honors everyone who was lost that day". I am clueless for an idea about an appropriate design, and I'm just not sure that I am up to this task in the first place.

On one hand, I am flattered that she would ask me, as I realize this is very important to her. On the other hand, I have only made a few cakes for family/friends and I am terrified creating something that does not appropriately address the circumstances of the event. Maybe I am just projecting my feelings that eating cake is not the best way to acknowledge her loss. But then again, I haven't walked in her shoes, so how do I know what's best and what's not...

Do I accept? Decline? Anyone have an idea for an appropriate design? I really don't know what to do, so any advice or help is greatly appreciated.

15 replies
Bettycrockermommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bettycrockermommy Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 9:40pm
post #2 of 16

do you have an edible image printer? I think that this picture is beautiful.

http://www.scrubair.com/about.html

this-mama-rocks Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 9:58pm
post #3 of 16

Bettycrockermommy, it IS beautiful!

I don't have an edible image printer, but I can "make do" without one. Just found out that the lady lost her family member in DC, so I am thinking of a way to incorporate that info into the design. (sigh)

Thank you so much for getting me started!

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 10:10pm
post #4 of 16

A picture of the towers with the words Remember on it.

CakeMakar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMakar Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 10:13pm
post #5 of 16

Lots of cake stores do edible images. You just bring in your photo (maybe on disc - call and ask which they want.) and they print it out right there. I've even gotten a local bakery to make them for me.

Bettycrockermommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bettycrockermommy Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 10:19pm
post #6 of 16

I'm glad I could help. I think that whatever you come up with will be beautiful! I can't wait to see it.

cinderspritzer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cinderspritzer Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 12:36am
post #7 of 16

you could do a flag with ''remember'' or something piped onto the cake board. it would probably be simple enough since you say you're fairly new to decorating, and it would really make a statement, and less is more is good to keep in mind... icon_smile.gif

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 5:26pm
post #8 of 16

My first thought was an American flag. Since it was in DC, maybe you could carve a Pentagon shape out of a square and drape a fondant flag across the top.

Michelle104 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michelle104 Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 2:23am
post #9 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by jammjenks

My first thought was an American flag. Since it was in DC, maybe you could carve a Pentagon shape out of a square and drape a fondant flag across the top.

This idea gets my vote as well. Very tasteful and elegant. You could still do the "remember"or "we'll never forget"

Tona Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tona Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 2:45am
post #10 of 16

Great Ideas I like the edible image with the towers . This is a time in our lives we will never forget.

SandyLemke Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandyLemke Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 2:47am
post #11 of 16

I just can't see the people cutting into the building. I don't know. this is so tough. If it were me I wouldn't overthink this one. I would make it as plain as possible ...I like the "remember" suggestion...flag...good...ribbons...

this is definitely hard. I do think when we make our cakes, remember, they must be cut and eaten at some point, and think: what are we asking them to cut and eat?

respectfully, Sandy

scgriffiths Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scgriffiths Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 3:12am
post #12 of 16

I vote for the edible image. It's a beautiful picture, and I think it conveys respect.

Michelle104 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michelle104 Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 3:30am
post #13 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyLemke

I just can't see the people cutting into the building. I don't know. this is so tough. If it were me I wouldn't overthink this one. I would make it as plain as possible ...I like the "remember" suggestion...flag...good...ribbons...

this is definitely hard. I do think when we make our cakes, remember, they must be cut and eaten at some point, and think: what are we asking them to cut and eat?

respectfully, Sandy

I hadn't really thought about it that way.....I do agree with you Sandy and the picture is beautiful....good luck.....

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 2:59pm
post #14 of 16

I hope I can get this pic to post. I just got it in an email and I thought it may be a good option for your cake.
LL

Lady_Phoenix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lady_Phoenix Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 3:06pm
post #15 of 16

jammjenks, that picture is wonderful! Perhaps you could make it on gum paste or cold porcelain and have it standing upright on the cake The host family could keep it as a memento. That way they would not have to cut into it. For the top of the cake, you could make a flag? HTH

this-mama-rocks Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 4:05pm
post #16 of 16

Thank you all so much for your wonderful ideas!

I am feeling a lot better about doing this!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%