Bowls And Glasses Out Of Fondant?

Decorating By apromisekept Updated 13 Aug 2005 , 4:25am by apromisekept

apromisekept Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
apromisekept Posted 13 Aug 2005 , 12:31am
post #1 of 5

Does anyone know how I would go about trying to do this? I mean making bowls & glasses. I have made a tv , bunnies , carrots, etc. But can't seem to get this one in my head. Could anyone be sooo kind to help? Thanks, Teddybearmom

4 replies
briansbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
briansbaker Posted 13 Aug 2005 , 1:58am
post #2 of 5

I would think that for the bowl you could use your half round pans. just dust them with cornstarch and let it set overnight.. As for glasses..hmmmm.. Good Question! Let's see if someone can come up with that answer..

apromisekept Posted 13 Aug 2005 , 3:35am
post #3 of 5

Thanks, briansbaker. I will experiment with the mini ball pan. Do you know by chance how I would make a lid for this size? Should I take some fondant and place it on the top of the mini ball pan and trim the excess off? thanks for the idea.

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 13 Aug 2005 , 4:16am
post #4 of 5

Well, I use an actual bowl or glass, just mold the fondant with some gumtex added to it at the rate of about 2-3 tsp. per 10 ounces of fondant or so. I tend to mold to the inside of whatever I am using. That is when I use Wilton fondant which already has a hardener added to it. Or use prepared gumpaste. But fondant on its own will not harden up enough to be really durable for this purpose. I tend to use a dowel in the stem part so that I can attach the stem to the bowl part of the glass and allow it to dry that way. You don't have to if you use a mold for the stem or have a way of drying it where it will not flatten out on one side.
to make a lid for you bowl, well wait for the bowl to dry, then turn it upside down and mark out a circle that size. That should give you the perfect size for a lid as it will be big enough to sit on the rim of your bowl.
I do plates and saucers the same way, turning a real saucer or plate upside down and tracing a circle just a bit bigger. Then I place it right side up on top of the saucer or plate and press down so that I can get the indentation of the rim of the saucer or the rim of the plate.
Here is a picture of a plate I did to match a real coffee mug.
LL

apromisekept Posted 13 Aug 2005 , 4:25am
post #5 of 5

Hey, thanks for the ideas .It is starting to be a little clearer on this project. I have got alot to practice. But I think I can do it. Thanks

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%