Setting Up A Store Front In Wake County, Nc

Business By loriemoms Updated 19 Aug 2008 , 12:50pm by vagostino

loriemoms Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 5:41pm
post #1 of 26

I have been keeping my eye on this really cute bakery near me and told my DH if they ever fold, I want to look into that store!

Well, they have folded and the place is up for rent!!! Its a cute little shop, 1100 square feet, already has a mop sink and regular sink and a little bathroom and all the electricity hookups (no walkin or gas though) We would have to buy all the equipment we need as the previous owners took everything. (they are selling it but way too high prices) I have alot of stuff already and would just need to move it..The rent isn't too bad and they pay for water and trash pickup, all I would have to worry about was taxes and electric and all that fun stuff

We have been digging through stuff trying to see what is involved with setup...(I already know about home business, which seems like all the bakery stuff is geared to...so it looks like we have to follow the laws of restaurants?)

I was wondering if anyone has done a store front in Wake county can give me some direction, and if its worth it. Its still alot of money to invest..I am a little nervous about taking that next big step...

25 replies
southerncake Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 5:53pm
post #2 of 26

Hi Lorie,

I can't really give you any advice for Wake County specifically (since I'm a little further south!), but I just wanted you to know I am so excited for you!! I was so sad when you said you were going to close the home business, as you do great work!

I do know that when DH's family restaurant was refurbished a year or two ago, they bought 90% of all the equipment used at a shop near Raleigh. I will find out exactly which one.

Good luck and keep us posted!!

aundrea Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 5:58pm
post #3 of 26

wow! good luck and hope it all works out for you.
i just peaked at your photos and you do lovely work.
let us know how its going!!!

loriemoms Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 5:59pm
post #4 of 26

thanks! I would LOVE to get that info! There used to a used restaurant supply place here in Cary but they closed up. Our local restaurant supply place is very good but they only sell new...

Maria_Campos Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 6:04pm
post #5 of 26

I have some friends in Durham that owns a few bakery and restaurants and other friends in Apex that own a bagel bakery, and unfortunatly they (my friend in Apex) had to sell it back to the previous owner. All the equipment was already there so they did not have to buy anything, but the rent was more than $5000 a month plus on top of that their business loan and they could not sell enough bagels to cover all their expenses. I was going to go in and help with my cakes but it was to risky.

Bakeries are not treated like restuarants from what I have learned from my friends in Durham that owns several succesful bakeries and retaurants, it is actully much easier. They said it is a very different animal from a restaurant. You should go for it, especially if you already have the clientel. Good luck, you should do great!!! I hope to own one myself to!

Maria_Campos Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 6:07pm
post #6 of 26

Here the restaurant equipment place near me in Raleigh
http://www.ureco.com/, I go there all the time.

xstitcher Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 6:09pm
post #7 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by aundrea

wow! good luck and hope it all works out for you.
i just peaked at your photos and you do lovely work.
let us know how its going!!!

Congrats and good luck! I don't know anything about bakeries etc. but if you ever need any help at all please don't hesitate to ask!

I'm looking forward to trying out your bakery!! icon_biggrin.gif

Jenn2179 Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 6:10pm
post #8 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by loriemoms

thanks! I would LOVE to get that info! There used to a used restaurant supply place here in Cary but they closed up. Our local restaurant supply place is very good but they only sell new...

I know it's a little far but there is a used restuarant supply place in Greenboro and he is very nice and easy to work with.

southerncake Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 6:17pm
post #9 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenn2179

Quote:

I know it's a little far but there is a used restuarant supply place in Greenboro and he is very nice and easy to work with.

I've heard other people mention the one in Greensboro also. Do you know the name of it?

snarkybaker Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 6:20pm
post #10 of 26

In North Carolina, Bakeries can operate under the department of Agriculture if you don't serve on real dishes ( ie: only use paper plates and cups) and don't use fresh fruit or dairy.

Otherwise, you need to have a restaurant designer or architect draw up a floor plan with all of your propsed equipment and copy of your proposed menu to the health department for approval. If yur menu is pretty close to what used to be served there, you should have a pretty easy time of it. If you are thinking of adding things other than " low moisture baked goods", then it may take a few tries to get an initial approval. Here in Orange, you must get sign off from the Health department before submitting the plan to the city.

Jenn2179 Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 6:38pm
post #11 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by southerncake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenn2179

Quote:

I've heard other people mention the one in Greensboro also. Do you know the name of it?

The place I went to was called Steve's Stash. I have the number if you want it. PM me.

snarkybaker Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 6:46pm
post #12 of 26

The two big restaurant equipment suppliers are ABC in Greensboro and United in Raleigh. Both sell used and new equipment, and quite honestly, we never found anyone at either place who was helpful or knowledgable about bakery operations. There just aren't a lot of bakeries down here, so they just haven't done many bakeries. They'll try to sell you a lot of old pizza equipment and grocery store bread slicers.

The best prices were at Morgan equipment in Burlington, but they specialize in used equipment and small wares. The only down side at Morgan is that most of their stock comes from schools and hospitals, so it is ENOURMOUS!, probably not useful in an 1100 sq. ft. storefront.

loriemoms Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 6:51pm
post #13 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by txkat

In North Carolina, Bakeries can operate under the department of Agriculture if you don't serve on real dishes ( ie: only use paper plates and cups) and don't use fresh fruit or dairy.

Otherwise, you need to have a restaurant designer or architect draw up a floor plan with all of your propsed equipment and copy of your proposed menu to the health department for approval. If yur menu is pretty close to what used to be served there, you should have a pretty easy time of it. If you are thinking of adding things other than " low moisture baked goods", then it may take a few tries to get an initial approval. Here in Orange, you must get sign off from the Health department before submitting the plan to the city.

Thanks that helps a lot....I am not planning on using fresh fruit or anything perishable as I have always been paranoid of having a wedding cake sitting out for hours and hours with something that can go bad. What is low moisture baked goods? I was thinking of having cookies at christmas time (I have a large clientelle who come to me for cookies only at that time of year) and maybe cut up pieces of cake ready for walkins who may want something to bring home (there is a pizza place right next door and I was wondering if I would get "desert" traffic...)

I know you have vested a lot into your bakery..was it been worth it so far?

loriemoms Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 6:56pm
post #14 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by txkat

The two big restaurant equipment suppliers are ABC in Greensboro and United in Raleigh. Both sell used and new equipment, and quite honestly, we never found anyone at either place who was helpful or knowledgable about bakery operations. There just aren't a lot of bakeries down here, so they just haven't done many bakeries. They'll try to sell you a lot of old pizza equipment and grocery store bread slicers.

The best prices were at Morgan equipment in Burlington, but they specialize in used equipment and small wares. The only down side at Morgan is that most of their stock comes from schools and hospitals, so it is ENOURMOUS!, probably not useful in an 1100 sq. ft. storefront.

I agree, I haven't been really impressed with United...I bought some tables and smallwares from them, but I can get stuff cheaper online. Their used stuff like you said is all pizza ovens and hot dog machines.

Probably the only thing I would really need is a larger fridge (no room for a walk in) and a larger oven. I already have sinks and tables and mixers and stuff like that. Although my sink is a double.would I need a triple? There already is a hand sink there and a mop sink and the grease trap.

loriemoms Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 6:58pm
post #15 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maria_Campos

I have some friends in Durham that owns a few bakery and restaurants and other friends in Apex that own a bagel bakery, and unfortunatly they (my friend in Apex) had to sell it back to the previous owner. All the equipment was already there so they did not have to buy anything, but the rent was more than $5000 a month plus on top of that their business loan and they could not sell enough bagels to cover all their expenses. I was going to go in and help with my cakes but it was to risky.

Bakeries are not treated like restuarants from what I have learned from my friends in Durham that owns several succesful bakeries and retaurants, it is actully much easier. They said it is a very different animal from a restaurant. You should go for it, especially if you already have the clientel. Good luck, you should do great!!! I hope to own one myself to!

Wow that is HIGH rent! The rent is no where near that!) I have been making lists of pros and cons of going from a home bakery to a store front...it sure is a hard decision!

travelingcakeplate Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 6:59pm
post #16 of 26

Good luck on the bakery. Glad to see you have decided to hang in there afterall!

Best wishes.

Maria_Campos Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 7:17pm
post #17 of 26

I say go for it, you will be better off than a lot of other people trying to open a bakery from scratch with no clientel, but know that most of it will not be baking and decorating cake, it will be a lot paper work, planning and managing.

Thats the problem with some people who just want to run an open a bakery, they don't do research, they don't write a business plan, and they don't try to build thier clientel first. once you have done your homework that is half the battle, and you look like you have been in the market for a while you should have no problems at all. Don't give up!

But I wonder why there is not many bakeries down here in NC? And I notice they don't stay open to long either. In NY there are tons of bakeries and they are doing good business, maybe it's the population or culture down here hmmmm.... I don't know, but what I do know is that we have to change that, and we got to but NC on the Map and end up on one of those cake challenges on food network!!!!!!

loriemoms Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 7:27pm
post #18 of 26

I wonder too....as we have so many transplants from NY and NJ who are used to corner bakeries. I dont know if its marketing or we have too many Harris Teeters and Walmarts to compete with. I know I hear from a lot of brides who are having problems getting wedding cakes for next spring because everyone is booked already! So there IS business out there!!! And like I said, my phone rings off the hook during the holidays for cookies. People want REAL cookies and complain they can't get them..

Maria_Campos Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 7:38pm
post #19 of 26

And it's not just cakes, it bread bakeries too, it's so weird! That one thing I miss about NY is the bakeries every where, it's not hard to finding a good bakery, an excellent italian bread was just around the corner! And cheap. I hate the stuff here in Walmart, foodlion etc.... I'm going home to NY this weekend and I will get my fix from a real bakery!!! I wish I had time to check out Colette's Cakery in Brooklyn!

loriemoms Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 7:43pm
post #20 of 26
Quote:

And it's not just cakes, it bread bakeries too, it's so weird! That one thing I miss about NY is the bakeries every where, it's not hard to finding a good bakery, an excellent italian bread was just around the corner! And cheap. I hate the stuff here in Walmart, foodlion etc.... I'm going home to NY this weekend and I will get my fix from a real bakery!!! I wish I had time to check out Colette's Cakery in Brooklyn!

Oh I agree, I HATE the bread here! Its tastes like NOTHING. Completely tasteless. My DH is from NJ and I always gain 20 lbs when we go to his hometown. REAL pizza, REAL delis and REAL baklava! I buy bagels and eat them like donuts...I cannot find a real bagel here either. They are like hamburger rolls with a hole in them.

We were in Baltimore a couple of weeks ago and I said Oo, lets find Duff's! But we didnt have time and I didnt have the address and the GPS didnt have it listed. But one of these days!!

Maria_Campos Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 9:53pm
post #21 of 26
Quote:

Quote:

Oh I agree, I HATE the bread here! Its tastes like NOTHING. Completely tasteless. My DH is from NJ and I always gain 20 lbs when we go to his hometown. REAL pizza, REAL delis and REAL baklava! I buy bagels and eat them like donuts...I cannot find a real bagel here either. They are like hamburger rolls with a hole in them.

We were in Baltimore a couple of weeks ago and I said Oo, lets find Duff's! But we didnt have time and I didnt have the address and the GPS didnt have it listed. But one of these days!!

OOHHH I miss PIZZA from the Bronx, not that Papa Johns stuff, I'm talking about the small mom & pop shop with slices so big you have to fold. I'm hungry now...

loriemoms Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 11:51pm
post #22 of 26

Have you tried J&S pizza here in Apex? they have the wonderful greasy delicious NY style pizza....its not bad at all!!! Also Brooklyn Brothers in Cary is mighty good!! I cannot stand that chain store stuff!

ziggytarheel Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 1:06am
post #23 of 26

All I know is if you do this, I'll have to come see you! I was very worried when you said you were closing up your home business, because in my imagination, I had you making my daughter's wedding cake. Since she is not presently dating anyone, that could be a while!

loriemoms Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 11:18am
post #24 of 26

ah that is very sweet!! For now, we are keeping the home business going, I had so many customers ask me not to close...we went over everything and we are going to hire a baker when the new season starts up in March....even if I am still at the house. (just gotta find room!)

Maria_Campos Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 12:10pm
post #25 of 26

Glad to hear you are not giving up, we cake decorators have to stick together and put NC on the map, we can't afford to loss good talent. We should create some kind of cake decorators club, I'm planning to join ICES soon, but it would be nice to have a cake guild or something here in Wake County.

vagostino Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 12:50pm
post #26 of 26

I have no idea of the laws in wake county but I just wanted to wish you the best! You are really talented and have the clientele already, you'll do great! Let us know when you open so we go visit!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%