Cake Base To Look Like Road Without Fondant?

Decorating By Ishi Updated 18 Aug 2008 , 8:12pm by indydebi

Ishi Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 4:46pm
post #1 of 9

I'm making a batman cake for my nephews. I attached my sketch. I was wondering, is there a way that I can make the cake base look like a city street around the perimeter of the cake without using black fondant? I guess I will if I have to but I was hoping to avoid it. Any ideas?
LL

8 replies
all4cake Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 4:51pm
post #2 of 9

Royal icing and allow it to dry. Make sure you use a sturdy board though, otherwise, it could crack on ya.

2kiddos Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 5:00pm
post #3 of 9

I use the plastic tablecovers for my cake boards... you could cover it in black, then use either yellow fondant or royal icing for the markings.

cupcakemkr Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 5:03pm
post #4 of 9

I was going to suggest covering the cake board in black paper then adding the street lines then covering it in clear shelf paper.

Good luck!

tcbalgord Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 5:09pm
post #5 of 9

They have edible markers, you could draw it! Love the sketch!

Ishi Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 5:09pm
post #6 of 9

Oh, I love the idea of the plastic tablecover. Quick and easy! Thanks ladies!

murf Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 5:28pm
post #7 of 9

Hi,
I've done one or two cakes where i wanted a particular theme for a cake board and what I've done is printed out the item/theme/road from the computer onto paper then stuck it to the cake board and covered the board with sticky-back plastic. Works really well and is very easy.
Jenny

Michelle104 Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 5:46pm
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupcakemkr

I was going to suggest covering the cake board in black paper then adding the street lines then covering it in clear shelf paper.

Good luck!

That's what I was thinkin!!

indydebi Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 8:12pm
post #9 of 9

I just use black buttercream, then hot-knife it smooth.

Here are a couple of pics as examples: http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1197537

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1195400

I used a straight edge tip (basketweave tip on one side .... smooth on the other) and made rows of icing. Then used a hot knife (run under hot water, wipe dry) to smooth it out. On the round cake, you can kinda still see the icing rows I made (bad smoothing job! icon_redface.gif )

I use BC for everything I do.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%