What Was It?

Decorating By pugmama1 Updated 19 Aug 2008 , 1:21am by peacockplace

pugmama1 Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 3:54pm
post #1 of 6

I recently attended a wedding and am wondering if someone can tell me what the icing on the cake might have been. It was extremely light and melt-in-your-mouth tasting. It didn't taste like whipped cream so I don't think it was Bettercreme. I have never made any of the meringue buttercreams but wondered if it could have been one of those. It was really good- like a buttercream only so light- it was great! Any experts out there who could compare the texture and taste of icings?

5 replies
luvscakes Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 4:14pm
post #2 of 6

Sounds like a meringue to me- they are very light and non greasy- not sickly sweet like your powdered sugar buttercreams.
MMM- that's why I switched! A lot more work but also a lot more flavor!

RRGibson Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 4:21pm
post #3 of 6

Yeah, sounds like either Italian Meringue or Swiss Meringue buttercream. That's how I felt the first time I had it on a cake too!

nickshalfpint Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 4:22pm
post #4 of 6

Does anyone have a great smbc or imbc recipe? I've never tried one and I want to but I don't know which one to try. Thanks, Kristen

FredBarnie Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 12:09am
post #5 of 6

A really good recipe can be found on www.creativecutters.com. I have taken some of Geraldines's classes and they are really good. Tells you what step you should be at with the egg whites at a particular temperature with the sugar and water. I ended up buying a digital thermometer and it has been a life saver. You can buy one at Walmart. Also to add cold butter and not room temperature. What is not on there is your flavouring. I add about 2 teaspoons of vanilla. She left it up to you. This is the recipe she uses and Geraldine has other receipes too. I made the chocolate ganche. Yummy. This is my first post so I hope it was ok and did not break any rules.

peacockplace Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 1:21am
post #6 of 6

Probably IMBC or SMBC. jkalman has a great thread about it and how to make it. http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-594605.html

Quote by @%username% on %date%