Freezing Buttercream Cakes

Decorating By staceyboots Updated 19 Aug 2008 , 7:19pm by staceyboots

staceyboots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
staceyboots Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 3:51pm
post #1 of 15

Hi CC

i am actually considering entering some iced cakes in the local culinary arts competition to be held in nov 2008. i have three designs in mind to submit and i am thining that i may be taking on too much stress.

i have no problem baking and freezing the cakes in advance (i freeze all of my cakes), but i am wondering if i can dam, fill and then crumbcoat them with buttercream and then freeze without any problems.

can anyone tell me if they have ever frozen cakes that were filled with buttercream successfully? if so, i will be really really happy if you could share some of your tips!

TIA

14 replies
DuncanHinesgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DuncanHinesgirl Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 5:15pm
post #2 of 15

With as many talented bakers and decorators here, you've posed the question to the right people.

In the past, I have frozen cakes with great success and I've frozen buttercream icing with good results, but I have not put the two together. My educated guess is that it would be just fine to fill, crumb coat and freeze.

Since you have some lead time, you could do a test run.

Will your cake be judged solely on taste or decoration?

Good luck with your competition. icon_smile.gif

Sweetly,
Marie

staceyboots Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 6:31pm
post #3 of 15

duncanhinesgirl,

i think that i betta do a test run before deciding whether i would compete or not.

i was hoping that the cakes would be judged on decoration only (in that case, i would use cake dummies) but they would be judged on taste as well which makes the process more challenging.

staceyboots Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 7:19pm
post #4 of 15

are there any other CC members that freeze buttercream cakes?

staceyboots Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 3:10am
post #5 of 15

bump

staceyboots Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 10:39am
post #6 of 15

bump

newnancy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newnancy Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 10:59am
post #7 of 15

Interesting question....here's a bump

lchristi27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lchristi27 Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 11:11am
post #8 of 15

I would like to know too! Anyone?

Cheryl1959 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cheryl1959 Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 1:43pm
post #9 of 15

Morning all,

Guess I will soon find out the answer to this question firsthand. For the second week in a row my Wilton class has been cancelled. The first week I went ahead and practiced and took it to my hungry coworkers. But when the second cancellation call came, I thought I needed to freez it. Just couldn't bring myself to making another cake again next weekend. Anyway, my cake is a 2 layer, 8 inch round chocolate cake. I filled it with chocolate buttercream and had crumb coated with almond flavored buttercream. Based on other recommendations, I wrapped it several times in plastic wrap and then sealed it into a large plastic bag. Keep your fingers crossed for me! I will thaw it out on Saturday or Sunday and pray for the best.

staceyboots Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 1:54pm
post #10 of 15

cheryl

yes....please let us know how the cake turned out when you defrost it!

thanks a mil!!!!

thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

srodts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
srodts Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 2:06pm
post #11 of 15

I do the filling, crumb coat and freeze all the time. They come out great, although let me say that when you defrost them make sure they are fully defrosted. I have frosted them frozen and the buttercream takes a long time to crust, and one of them I had to scrape all of the frosting off cuz there was to much condensation and the frosting just smeared around. I am doing my very first cake this weekend that I am not filling first just to see how it goes. Good luck to you!

staceyboots Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 2:33pm
post #12 of 15

thanks srodts!!

does anyone know if it is okay to freeze cakes that have been filled with curds and/or preserves.

TIA

DuncanHinesgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DuncanHinesgirl Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 2:56pm
post #13 of 15

I made my brother's wedding cake which was filled with lime curd. My sister- in-law, a traditionalist, froze the top tier and they ate it on their anniversary. She told me it tasted just as good as she remembered. I had offered to make a fresh cake for the anniversary, but she wouldn't hear of it. icon_smile.gif

staceyboots Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 3:08pm
post #14 of 15

thanks!!

it seems as though i am well on my way to preparing these cakes beforehand without any problems!

what a relief!

staceyboots Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 7:19pm
post #15 of 15

okay...so i have another question.

can someone tell how how long fruit curds will last outside of the refrigerator? setup-day for the competition is on a Friday morning and pull-down is slated for the Saturday afternoon.

I am guessing that if I use a curd in my cakes, i may end up dumping it because it will be unrefrigerated for more than 24 hours

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%