Best In Show Cake Idea

Decorating By brnrlvr Updated 23 Aug 2008 , 8:12pm by brnrlvr

brnrlvr Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 3:10pm
post #1 of 19

I am looking for a best in show cake idea for a wedding fair. Last year I did one that looked like the cake on the home page of JenniferMI 's website. It didn't win. The winning one was this awsome cake that looked like a tree stump. I came in second. I still want a traditional style wedding cake, but just can't find anything that trips my trigger. Something big and grand. Any ideas?

Thanks!

18 replies
brnrlvr Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 2:53am
post #2 of 19

ANybody?

jibbies Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 3:12am
post #3 of 19

Have you tried searching the galleries?

Jibbies

Aliwis000 Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 3:25am
post #4 of 19

Okay I maybe totally wrong on this but it seems that some of the really cool cakes for weddings are the Indian theme. You know the henna type designs on a bright color. (Not meant to offend if this is these are the wrong terms) Although they are not what I would want for my wedding cake they are VERY impressive. I am sure the galleries or a google search could give examples.

HTH

Alicia

brnrlvr Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 3:58am
post #5 of 19

Yep looked through the galleries, will check out indian wedding cakes, haven't thought about that. Still haven't found anything "grand" though. Here is a link to JenniferMI's website.

http://www.sugardelites.com/

The cake I did last year is like the first one from the top of the page. I don't think I want to do just 4 or 5 tiers stacked one on top of another, but I don't want to do the same set up as last year and have people thinking "isn't that just like the cake last year?"

2508s42 Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 10:58pm
post #6 of 19

Just a thought, but maybe the judges recognized the cake that you did make from the web site or some other publication? In my area, the cake has to be an original design, not just executed well.

Try looking through the galleries and finding things you like, and design your own. If you look at enough photos, surely one will come to you?

Good luck. I really struggle in this area also.

SUUMEME Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 11:13pm
post #7 of 19

I like the cakes that are done in all one color, its dramatic and tricky to get it to look great w/ only one color. White with a touch of irredesant (sp?) luster dust would bre really cool. Just a suggestion.

brnrlvr Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 1:08am
post #8 of 19

It's just a casual contest, the brides and guests vote on the cakes, so there are no real rules or anything. Definately doing some luster dust! I LOVE lusterdust!! Here's my cake from last year. It's big! That's the feel I want, but how do you get that feeling without doing the same setup?
LL

2508s42 Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 3:42am
post #9 of 19

I cannot believe you didn't win!!! HOLY COW!!! That is GORGEOUS! I would have voted for you.

Did you make the vase?

SUUMEME Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 3:55am
post #10 of 19

Well lookie there, you already did the one colored thing. I say go bold like those Indian cakes.

mrsscholler Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 3:59am
post #11 of 19

your cake is very impressive. I would do something like a pillar cake. Something with many different sizes of pillars kind of like a group of candles. Iwould go with flowers topping them and some kind of lace or brush embroidery on the sides.

cupsncakes Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 8:57am
post #12 of 19

I think the style Aliwis000 mentioned is sometimes called bollywood, at least it is here and in the UK, try searching for that.

rudoo Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 10:47am
post #13 of 19

Try Frosted Art site. Look at the couture collection wedding cakes icon_biggrin.gif http://www.frostedart.com/index.htm

brnrlvr Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 12:23pm
post #14 of 19

The cake that took first was REALLY cool. IF I can find the pictures I took of it, I'll post them. Like I said it looked like a tree stump. Even the ladies in charge of the event said if you asked everyone which cake they would want at their wedding, mine would have won, but it was really cool!

I didn't make the vase- it's glass

Browens cakes are great! Bollywood, thanks!

Maybe I'll have to do pillars, maybe with a fountian? I did this cake a few years ago for my first wedding fair. It was a christmas theme. Maybe something along those lines?
LL

brnrlvr Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 12:24pm
post #15 of 19

Or are fountians out?

lisad1 Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 9:51am
post #16 of 19

I don't know if they are out...but they are dated. I'd try to keep it more modern.

newnancy Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 10:28am
post #17 of 19

How about doing square cakes?

Jayde Posted 23 Aug 2008 , 3:56pm
post #18 of 19

I would first decide a theme, oceanic, Indian, Asian, holiday, v-day, spring, summer, fall, etc. Then from there do a search of that particular set of cakes. Find things that you do and dont like.

Start your design from there. Stacked cakes are very popular, and I agree that the fountains look dated. You could make floating tiers around a large stacked cake, and that would make it look grand, or you could just do a mutiple tiered stacked cake. Once you get the overall design done, from there you can work on the specifics of color and detailed design.

Since you did something fairly traditional last year, this year I would think outside of the box! How about an Asian themed cake done in the traditional wedding red. You could print yourself out a Japanese scenic view, and use it as a template to paint away on the bottom tier. The second to bottom you could use brush embroidery to make an impressive dragon curling around the whole tier. The next tier could be covered in Japanese orchids. The next tier could be done with the Japanese characters that spell out LOVE, DEVOTION, HAPPINESS, etc. The top you could make a willowy couple that kind of flows into the tier, the long dress, the flowers, etc.

I could come up with a ton of ideas for you, but I am not quite sure what you are looking for. I think when judging a show like that you arent trying to wow them with different techniques, because them as potential brides/grooms arent going to know all about string work/GP flowers/ brush embroidery, etc. Its more hit and miss, because you arent ever going to get the same people for judging. If nothing else I would definitely do something with some bright colors in it. A lot more brides these days are intergrating TONS of colors into their cakes, and that alone might give you a cutting edge.

brnrlvr Posted 23 Aug 2008 , 8:12pm
post #19 of 19

Wow! Thanks for all the help! Jayde-I love the caken you described! I can picture it in my head!

I think I have decided to go with a real funky topsy-turvey. I know they have come and gone, but they never made it to WI! So it will be a real eye catcher!

Thanks again! I new I could count on CC to help!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%