1980's Themed Cake

Decorating By cakesbyclaire Updated 20 Aug 2008 , 7:24pm by seskenn

cakesbyclaire Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 1:25am
post #1 of 28

I am in need of ideas for an 80's themed cake for a man.
His wife mentioned something with cassette tapes, aviator sunglasses, rubix cubes, and bright colors. (She said she wants a "wow" cake.) Do any of you have ideas?? OR photos to share? Any ideas will be appreciated!! Thank you!

27 replies
tracey1970 Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 1:31am
post #2 of 28

I just did a quick search for "80" on this site, and here's what I got. There are some 80th birthday cakes in there, but a lot of them on these 5 pages are 1980s themed cakes. Good luck!

justgale Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 1:31am
post #3 of 28
tracey1970 Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 1:32am
post #4 of 28
alisoncooks Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 1:37am
post #5 of 28

Hehe, instead of the now-cool Coach bag cake, you could do a fanny pack cake, with all those goodies (aviator glasses, cassette tape, rubix cube, Swatch watch icon_smile.gif spilling out of it. It would be, like, totally radical.

playingwithsugar Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 1:42am
post #6 of 28

How about a Miami Vice white linen jacket?

Theresa icon_smile.gif

playingwithsugar Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 1:43am
post #7 of 28

Oh, and MTV was born on August 1, 1981.

T. icon_smile.gif

cakesbyclaire Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 1:44am
post #8 of 28

You all are wonderful! (I did a search for 1980.. and nothing came up... hello! Try "80".. Thank you!! icon_smile.gif
I wish I had time for the fanny pack cake.. I love that idea! I'm already pretty booked and probably shouldn't have taken this order, but now I have ideas, thanks!!

knel Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 1:45am
post #9 of 28

Okay, how about this??? There is a country song by Mark Wills called "It was 1980 something"... I found the lyrics online and here are just the lyrics for the 1980s portion of the song:

It was the dawning of a new decade
When we got our first microwave
And Dad broke down and finally shaved
Those sideburns off
I took the stickers off of my Rubix cube
Watched MTV all afternoon
My first love was Daisy Duke
In them cut off jeans
A Space Shuttle fell out of the sky
And the whole world cried

Chorus:
It was 1980-something
In the world that I grew up in
Skating rinks and Black Trans Ams
Big hair and parachute pants
Lookin' back now I can see me
And oh, man did I look cheesy
But I wouldn't trade those days for nothin'
It was 1980-something

What about just a stacked cake with a cool combination of all or some of these different things? I would love this cake!!!! I'm a child of the 80s! icon_wink.gif

There are some really neat cakes on CC with the "road of life" or the "journey of life" design. It would be cool to do a cake similar to this, but instead of milestones in life, do different elements, like a Dukes of Hazard General Lee, or a pair of black parachute pants, the Challenger, an MTV logo, etc... with signs beside each one... One cake could have maybe a kind of tie-dyed look to it ???? Just some thoughts....... HTH! Good luck and have fun with this one. I may just have to do one like this for myself! LOL!!!

chickeymonkey25 Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 1:48am
post #10 of 28

somehow i keep thinking that the red DEVO hat would make a great cake topper

robinscakes Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 1:50am
post #11 of 28

Don't know how you can fit leg warmers and mullets into the cake, but it would be interesting. Maybe some 80's hair-band logos and movie titles?

playingwithsugar Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 1:51am
post #12 of 28

You had to mention parachute pants! When I worked second shift at a manufacturing plant, I had a boss who just knew he was cute, and that parachute pants made the gals in the office drool.

We all knew that the big bosses promptly left by 5 PM. He would go to the rest room and change from his shirt/tie/dress pants to his tight T-shirt and parachute pants. You could hear him coming from clear across the room.

icon_lol.gif

Theresa icon_smile.gif

knel Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 1:56am
post #13 of 28

I had some parachute pants myself when I was in the fourth grade. I must say, I thought I was something else, too.... icon_wink.gif yep, the parachute pants, the Tina Turner belts, and the neon colored sheer scarves in the hair... I was a hottie, for sure!!! Oh, and don't forget the Duran Duran shoes!!! Ha ha

msauer Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 1:57am
post #14 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by alisoncooks

Hehe, instead of the now-cool Coach bag cake, you could do a fanny pack cake, with all those goodies (aviator glasses, cassette tape, rubix cube, Swatch watch icon_smile.gif spilling out of it. It would be, like, totally radical.

Okaaaaay....dude...you are like so...so....like Valley Girl! icon_lol.gif

You fer shure could do all of these ideas! I think they're schweet! If it wouldn't barf you out, you could add some stuff from 80's movies too. Not the bogus ones, but more like the waaay cool ones like The Empire Strikes back.

Whatever you decide, don't forget to Avoid the Noid! LOL!!!!

(Thanks for the giggle alisoncooks, you really took me back! Whew! Think I'll go chill and see if I can find my way back to the current decade!)

-Michelle icon_lol.gif

playingwithsugar Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 2:01am
post #15 of 28

Or how about a 3-D Max Headroom on TV?

Theresa icon_smile.gif
LL

minorfan Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 2:18am
post #16 of 28

DISCO DUCK!! Make a duck with spiked hair on a disco ball (sports ball covered with small silver squares) or on a vinyl record.

You can put a MR T chain on the ducks neck.

Since it is for a guy Hooter's started in 1983 if you want to make hooters cake. It is hooters 25th aniversary (a friend of mine was the first ever hooters girl then in playboy July 86 is why I know so much about hooters)

TC123 Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 2:27am
post #17 of 28

In another forum topic about a 80's themed cake, I said one of the first things I think of is:

<<<BOOM BOX!!!>>>

... and roller skating

Hey! Speaking of! What about a disco ball? Not sure how you'd construct it. But off the top of my head it could be coved with different colored fondant squares (that can also be covered with luster dust)...

TC123 Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 2:29am
post #18 of 28

Hey!!! I see minorfan has the construction of the disco ball! There are some great ideas here!

msauer Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 3:46am
post #19 of 28

I've done a disco ball with the sports ball pan...it's in my gallery (page 2...long time ago)....but I thought that it was a bit more 70's than 80's.

I just did a roller skate not too long ago too...NEON PINK AND GREEN no less.

I can't wait to see what you choose!!!

-Michelle

mrsscholler Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 5:59pm
post #21 of 28

i would look at a bunch of old 80s shows and toys and do a variety of each to put on the cake

alvarezmom Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 6:02pm
post #22 of 28

I love the 80's I was born in '81 and I must say it was my favorite set of 10 years! LOL

this-mama-rocks Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 6:10pm
post #23 of 28

How about, like, a multicolor Converse hightop shoe? Or, like, a cobalt blue Reebok hi-top? The one with the velcro ankle straps? With, like, fondant Swatch watches and CD discs? That would look, like, totally rad, you know like, sticking out of the top of like, the shoe? And, ohmygawd, cover the cake board, like, with some sheer scarves or lace? And use like, hot pink and turquoise? Or, like, teal and purple?? Or, like, neon yellow and acid green would be SO trippindicular?

redhare Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 6:24pm
post #25 of 28

I just did one last week for my cousin
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1255499

I ran w/ the boombox idea w/ ppl break dancing on cardboard boxes in the streets.

I also had thought about doing a collage of all that was popular in the 80's ie: rainbow brite, lite bright, smurfs, he man, popples, of course pac man and atari.

SugarBakerz Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 6:30pm
post #26 of 28

I love the one on Cambo's website.. she does amazing work and this was sooooo cool... the argyle print rocked!

http://www.cleverconfections.com/ilovethe80s.jpg

cre8ivemary Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 6:57pm
post #27 of 28

he's a guy,don't forget about the atari or the 1st nintendo system.
That's a must...lol

seskenn Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 7:24pm
post #28 of 28

I did an 80s cake that was a 12 and 10 inch hexagonal stacked. On each side I was able to put a different logo - Atari, izod alligator, Pac-Man, Ghostbusters logo, etc. I also made a Rubix cube to put on top. Also made a silver glove, swatch watch, and cassette tape (of Thriller of course!), and a Smurf. Finally, I put a fondant Donkey Kong at the top, throwing barrels down to poor Mario at the bottom. I can send you a picture, but didn't post it on CC because the top slid on the way, so it's pretty rough looking (sob!). I'm now an SPS convert!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%