I Need Some Awesome Looking Small Desserts For Bridal Shower

Decorating By peacockplace Updated 22 Oct 2008 , 1:05am by Pastry-Panda

peacockplace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peacockplace Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 1:08am
post #1 of 29

I'm looking for some "girl food" desserts for a bridal shower. Does anyone have some really cool or different ideas? I'd love something that looks really fussy... but is easy. icon_lol.gif Is that possible? I know you guys can come up with some great stuff to help me out! thumbs_up.gif

28 replies
mjarvis78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjarvis78 Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 1:19am
post #2 of 29

I just did a bunch of bars..lemon bars, pecan bars, brownies, 7-layer bars.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/daintycakestampa/2744231757/

You could also do mini eclairs and cream puffs

JodieF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JodieF Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 1:52am
post #3 of 29

This is one of my favorite bite sized desserts....never had anyone that didn't think they were fabulous.

Thick Caramel Sauce

1 cup butter (do not substitute)
2 cups packed brown sugar
1 cup light corn syrup
1 can sweetened condensed milk
2 tablespoons whipping cream
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 teaspoon salt

In a heavy saucepan, bring butter, brown sugar, corn syrup and sweetened condensed milk to a boil over medium heat, stirring. Carefully stir in whipping cream. Attach a candy thermometer to your pan. Continue to stir until the caramel reaches 238 degrees, or the soft ball stage. Be careful to keep it just hot enough for caramel to simmer, because it will scorch! Remove from heat and add vanilla and salt. Makes 4 cups.

This is wickedly good! I've used it as a filling for cakes, to ice cupcakes and to dip apples in. Of course, there's nothing wrong with eating it with a spoon! icon_surprised.gif)

Shortbread Tarts

Beat 1 cup softened butter with 1/2 cup powdered sugar for about 2 minutes. Add 1 1/2 cups flour, 2 T. corn starch and a pinch of salt and mix until just combined. The dough is very soft. Grease miniature muffin tins. Divide dough into 36 pieces. Press a piece into each cup, pressing to make a center indentation. Place tins in freezer for 10 minutes before baking.
Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Bake tarts for 10 minutes. Open oven and prick bottom of tarts with a fork to eliminate "puff". Bake an additional 8-10 minutes until golden brown.
For the caramel tarts, I folded about a cup of caramel (see recipe above) into Cool Whip and then filled the cooled tarts. Then I drizzled the tarts with more caramel.

peacockplace Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 1:53am
post #4 of 29

I didn't know bars could be so pretty! That was a very nice presentation!!! Thank you for the idea. thumbs_up.gif

doodledo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doodledo Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 2:42am
post #5 of 29

I hope I explain the correctly, but this was a huge success.

I made cupcakes in those pans that are really heavy and the cakes look like a tiny bundt cake. I made a pound cake in them. Then I bought the candy molds from Wilton that look like little shot glassses. I made those chocolate. I filled these with a flavored homemade whip topping. You can flavor them with alcohol or just a strawberry flavoring. Put a cupcake on each plate dust with powdered sugar, put the cup beside it. Everyone loved them and it didnt really take much time at all. I have a Whip-It but I am sure you can use a homemade recipe and beat in mixer. I hope this sounds right

peacockplace Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 2:47am
post #6 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by doodledo

I hope I explain the correctly, but this was a huge success.

I made cupcakes in those pans that are really heavy and the cakes look like a tiny bundt cake. I made a pound cake in them. Then I bought the candy molds from Wilton that look like little shot glassses. I made those chocolate. I filled these with a flavored homemade whip topping. You can flavor them with alcohol or just a strawberry flavoring. Put a cupcake on each plate dust with powdered sugar, put the cup beside it. Everyone loved them and it didnt really take much time at all. I have a Whip-It but I am sure you can use a homemade recipe and beat in mixer. I hope this sounds right

Oooh!!! Fancy! I love it. Welcome to CC!

JodieF,
I am drooling all over my keyboard right now! Awesome!!!! Thank you so much. Sounds delish!!!

peacockplace Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 1:23pm
post #7 of 29

I had thought about the little chocolate cups filled with white chocolate mousse and berries, but I seem to do that a lot. I wanted to have some more great looking treats to bring. Does anyone have any other ideas?

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 2:50pm
post #8 of 29

Cookies with half dipped in chocolate, champaign truffles, cream puffs piped out as swans, cheesecake/choc. mousse stuffed strawberries than dipped into chocolate and rolled into a crushed topping like nuts, choc. shavings or coconut. Any type of bar, single layer cake or bread pudding cut out using a heart shape or other cookie cutter then plated using a sauce underneith. Mousse in a fluted glass topped with fresh whipped cream, a sprinkle of chocolate shavings and a piece of fruit cut and twisted on the glass rim. Liquor soaked cherries (the longer they soak the better --at least 1 week) in a chocolate cup the size of a shot glass.
Lemon tarts would b e good too.
Creme Brulee, there are tons of different flavors to use for this one.

You can pretty much do anything easy and with the proper cutter or sauce on a plate make it look pretty.

mkolmar Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 2:51pm
post #9 of 29

Forgot to say this one and it's really easy. Take a sugar ice cream cone and coat with ganache in the inside. Fill with fresh sliced fruit and top with sweetened fresh cream and some sprinkle of nuts, chocolate shaving, etc....

peacockplace Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 4:51pm
post #10 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkolmar

Forgot to say this one and it's really easy. Take a sugar ice cream cone and coat with ganache in the inside. Fill with fresh sliced fruit and top with sweetened fresh cream and some sprinkle of nuts, chocolate shaving, etc....

Oh my gosh... that sounds so great! Do you have any pictures of that?

Thank you all. I'm getting so many great ideas!!

Gingoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gingoodies Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 6:40pm
post #11 of 29

One thing that I usually like to add to a dessert buffet is Cappuccino Bon Bons. It is basically a brownie baked in mini cupcake form. Take your favorite brownie recipe (scratch or box) add 1 tsp. cinnamon and at least 1 Tbsp. instant coffee or espresso powder ( I will dissolve this in the liquid called for in the recipe). Bake in pretty mini muffin papers. When cool I will top with a decorative dollop of whipped cream or vanilla buttercream and sprinkle with a cocoa/cinnamon mixture. Very yummy. They can be served withouth the topping and are still delish.

peacockplace Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 6:48pm
post #12 of 29

That's a cool idea! I'm thinking your brownie idea would be awesome topped with JodieF's caramel and whipped cream! Thank you all for your idea! You rock!!!

mkolmar Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 8:47pm
post #13 of 29

Sorry, I have no pics of the cones. I'm really bad with taking pictures once I get busy icon_redface.gif

Chocolate dipped oreos in the molds (can buy at spinningleaf.com) are always a big hit as well as oreo truffles.

jules1719 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jules1719 Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 10:28pm
post #14 of 29

Make mini lemon meringue pies. This sounds like a lot of work, but can be done ahead in stages and the visual impact is very high.

Use mini tart pans or mini muffin tins and find a good tart dough recipe, commonly called pate sucree. It's more like a cookie crust than a pie crust, but you can make the shells a week ahead and store them in an airtight container. I won't give you a recipe for the dough because an interweb search will turn up a thousand recipes. These tarts look best bite size.

Then make your favorite lemon curd. Which can be done 3-4 days in advance. Here's mine.

6 eggs
12 yolks
1 1/2 c sugar
1c plus 2 tbsp lemon juice
pinch of salt
1 tsp vanilla
1 lb unsalted butter cut into cubes

Mix the yolks and sugar, add the juice and salt. Nuke in 1 minute intervals on high until thick whisking in between, and mixture is no longer fluid in the center. Add the butter and either spin in a food processor, or use an immersion blender to smooth it out. You can also strain it thru a fine mesh strainer lacking the blender or a processor. Add the vanilla.

Marry the components on the day you wish to serve them. Place about 2 tsp of curd into the shells. (the shells shouldn't be too big) And pipe meringue on top.

So to finish the tarts make swiss meringue:

1c sugar
5 egg whites
1/4 tsp cream of tartar

Heat the whites and sugar over simmering water until HOT to the touch. Add the cream of tartar and whip on high until stiff peaks form and the mixture is completely cool to the touch. Pipe through the largest star tip you can find. I use a 1 inch star tip. You want one perfect "drop" star on each tart. Brown them for a second with a small handheld torch. Done.

The description is harder than the execution.

peacockplace Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 2:25am
post #15 of 29

That would look very impressive! I am getting some really great ideas! I can't wait to start testing some of them. icon_biggrin.gif

HerBoudoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HerBoudoir Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 3:17am
post #16 of 29

Easy mini fruit tarts ~

Use the pre-made individual graham crusts. You can gently slide them out of the foil once they've been filled and refrigerated for an hour or two. If you try to take them out before that, they seem to always break (at least for me).

For the filling: I would highly recommend making a homemade pastry cream with a couple Tablespoons of Chambord or Amaretto in them. Otherwise, you can use a thick vanilla pudding (only put in 2/3 of the milk called for) or even lemon curd.

Fill the crust with filling, then top with mixed fresh fruit (my favorite is all berries but any fruit you like can work).

For a glaze, warm either seedless raspberry or apricot jam (I prefer Polaner All-fruit) in the microwave, and brush to cover the fruit.

Garnish with a fresh mint leaf, and chill.

These need to be assembled the day-of, but the pastry cream can be made the day before.

peacockplace Posted 23 Aug 2008 , 12:48am
post #17 of 29

Thank you all! Does anyone else have some yummy treats I can try??? icon_lol.gif

kimblyd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimblyd Posted 23 Aug 2008 , 4:46am
post #18 of 29

Applebee's is selling dessert shots or shooters, not sure what they are called but they are YUMMY. Basically they are tiny trifles..they have 5 or six different kinds like cheesecake with strawberry topping, choc mousse with cookie crumbs and whipped cream topping and they are served in individual shot glasses.

Thinking you could buy several varieties of those no bake dessert mixes and instead of using pans called for in the recipe, use shot glasses. Slightly bigger champagne glasses might work as well.

If you need a visual, do a search on Applebee's menu, they have a picture of them.

HTH

Kim

pugmama1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pugmama1 Posted 23 Aug 2008 , 6:43pm
post #19 of 29

I am thinking an assortment of something chocolate, lemon, fruity.... and presentation would be key-- different things to choose from on various cakestands and tiered servers.
How about an exotic mini-cupcake- mango or key lime, mini fruit tarts, brownie bites topped with piped ganache and a raspberry. Everyone loves lemon bars. But here is a recipe that has gotten rave reviews every time I make it:
Pina Colada Bars

BASE: 1 cup flour, 1/2 cup sugar, 1/2 cup butter
Combine flour and sugar in bowl. Cut in butter with a pastry blender. Press in bottom of ungreased 9-inch square pan. Bake at 350 for 10 minutes.
FILLING: 8 oz cream cheese, 2 Tbsp sugar, 2 Tbsp milk, 1 tsp vanilla, 1 egg, 8 oz well drained crushed pineapple, 1 cup coconut, 1/2 cup chopped macadamia nuts, 1 Tbsp melted butter
Combine cream cheese, sugar, milk, vanilla, and egg in bowl. Beat until smooth. Stir in pineapple and spread over baked base. Combine coconut, nuts and butter. Sprinkle evenly over pineapple mixture. Bake at 350 for 18-20 minutes until set. Cool completely.
GLAZE: 1/2 cup powdered sugar, 3-4 tsp milk, 1/4 tsp rum extract
Combint glaze indgredients and drizzle over bars.
Refrigerate until serving time. then cut into bars. These are heavenly!

Mac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mac Posted 23 Aug 2008 , 7:02pm
post #20 of 29

Sometimes I take a 2" or 3" roll-out cookie and bake it. Frost with cream cheese frosting.. Use an egg slicer and slice strawberries, then take each slice and cut lengthwise in half. With 5 of these, I make a strawberry star on top of each frosted cookie.

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 23 Aug 2008 , 7:11pm
post #21 of 29

Mini frozen mousse atop a shortbread cookie. Then put a piece of fruit on top to designate flavor. Apple slices fanned out on puff dough topped w/ cinn & sugar. Mini mousse parfaits in tall shot glasses. Mini tarts always work. Do you have to plate, or are they buffet?

Mike

adikhawaja1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adikhawaja1 Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 6:09am
post #22 of 29

How about making mini napoleons? buy the puff pastry, i think it's from pepperidge farms, roll it out as thin as you can and with those frilled round cutters cut out the size that you would like for an individual portion. you will need at least 2or 3 layers of puff pastry for each one. Once you cut the amount you need bake it off but make sure that you poke the cut outs with a fork so they don't puff up on you and also when baking make sure you put some parchment paper on top of the cut outs and then add some extra sheet pans for weight so the puff pastry stays flat. After this has been done, ( it's alot easier than you think icon_surprised.gif )then you can make some pastry cream and mix in some chambord to it to give it a nice flavor or gran marnier. With a pastry bag fill the puff pastry rounds only in the middle not too much to the edges, then garnish with raspberries all over the sides, then you sandwich it with another layer of puff pastry and do the same thing. On the top you can dust powdered sugar. i hope I explained this ok!?!?!? good luck!! thumbs_up.gif

peacockplace Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 10:01pm
post #23 of 29

Thank you all! I have been without internet for several days. Sorry I couldn't get back to you sooner! All of your ideas sound really great! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Cookies4kids Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cookies4kids Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 11:33am
post #24 of 29

Hey everyone this would be an awesome thread to have for the holiday season. There are so many fundraiser functions, holiday parties, etc where you need these fancy little desserts. Wouldn't it be great to have a whole lists of really fun and new things to make this year. Let's dig out our recipes and share our very favorite, tried and true recipes. Thanks so much for starting this. There are some great ideas on here already.

maimai16 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maimai16 Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 3:12pm
post #25 of 29

i agree lilybird... actually, this thread caught my eye b/c i'm looking for easy-to-do Christmas giveaways... i'll be watching this thread...

keep it pouring guys...

i really love cc =)

mcdonald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcdonald Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 9:04pm
post #26 of 29

these are all great ideas!!! thanks for sharing..

LeanneW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeanneW Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 12:20am
post #27 of 29

i know strawberries are out of season and expensive right now but maybe you could adapt this idea to another fruit.

this is a link to a strawberry topiary with instructions http://www.savoirfaire.ca/archive/2_tip_7.6.html

you could bake meringue nests and fill them with fruit or lemon curd. I just did a search for a pic of what I was thinking of and just found some fabulous ideas on martha stewart living http://www.marthastewart.com/recipe/heart-shaped-meringues-filled-with-passion-fruit-curd?autonomy_kw=meringues&rsc=header_32

http://www.marthastewart.com/recipe/peppermint-meringues-with-chocolate-filling?autonomy_kw=meringues&rsc=header_3

http://www.marthastewart.com/recipe/meringue-porcupines?autonomy_kw=meringues&rsc=header_5

this one is just stunning http://www.marthastewart.com/recipe/swiss-meringue-ribbon-roses?autonomy_kw=meringues&rsc=header_6

http://www.marthastewart.com/recipe/soft-meringue-pillows-with-raspberry-sauce?autonomy_kw=meringues&rsc=header_14

obviously I am meringue crazy!

LeanneW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeanneW Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 12:30am
post #28 of 29

ok, I have more ideas...

mini ice cream sandwiches, you can use store bought cookies, any kind, and sandwich them with ice cream.

I just found some great things on MSL when I searched for desserts and then did a search for mini.

thinks like mini banana splits, super easy!

I love bridal showers.

Pastry-Panda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastry-Panda Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 1:05am
post #29 of 29

What I did for a bridal shower was got some store bought pie crust , at sams and costco this time of year they sell large cases of rolled up pie crusts. cut out little rounds poke some holes and baked them off in mini muffin tins and then fill them with whatever you want I did lemon curd topped with whipped cream or a slice of strawberry , key lime pie , apple pie filling , and a cheesecake topped with fresh strawberry. they are bite sized and awesome , they went REALLY fast. Possibilities are endless with the fillings , one base can become so many more things easily. I've also done them with vanilla pastry cream and ganache topping , excellent! Of course you can make your own pie crusts , but its a time saver to buy them.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%