Donation Disaster

Decorating By jillmakescakes Updated 2 Sep 2008 , 6:54pm by lilahcakes

jillmakescakes Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 12:58am
post #1 of 12

ok, so i tried to be nice and offered to make a 150 serving cake for the local Susan G Komen event. Cute 4 tier pink with white flowers trailing down the side. well, apparently a dowel shifted ( I'm researching new methods, ordered SugarEd Productions videos). the third tier sunk into the bottom tier after hitting a pothole that I didn't see because of the rain. I managed to put an extra dowel in there to keep it from falling, but it was still pretty trashed.
LL
LL

11 replies
jillmakescakes Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 1:00am
post #2 of 12

to make it worse, since they hadn't paid for it, I couldn't even offer a refund or anything to help "make it right". they were very nice and tried to say that it wasn't as bad, but I know it was. I delivered it on Thursday and haven't heard anything from them.

pjaycakes Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 1:33am
post #3 of 12

Nice save. It really doesn't look so bad, in fact it looks quite nice. That was a nice donation for you to make and although you were disappointed I would think it would be quite rude of them to complain about free cake. I would send them a quick email or short phone call to see how they liked the taste of the cake, just to touch base with them.

ceshell Posted 23 Aug 2008 , 4:16am
post #4 of 12

Oh I'm so sorry this happened to you, but I am sure that they and everyone else could see that it was a beautiful cake that had obviously suffered a "minor mishap." I'll bet they still admired, served and enjoyed it.

tonedna Posted 23 Aug 2008 , 4:33am
post #5 of 12

Oh...what an awful thing.sorry!
Edna

SandyLemke Posted 23 Aug 2008 , 4:42am
post #6 of 12

It's a gorgeous cake for a breast cancer event! Good job. The pot hole wasn't your fault. I've been to breast cancer events, these women are so full of fun and fellowship and are surely not worried about a ding in a cake. I bet they LOVED this fab creation! Great shade of pink.

7yyrt Posted 23 Aug 2008 , 7:21am
post #7 of 12

You know what they say... 'Every cake has a back.' That was just the back side.

milissasmom Posted 23 Aug 2008 , 7:39am
post #8 of 12

Great gesture, great save, great cake! I am sure they loved it. I had a similar thing happen to me for the Los Angeles Unified School District. The cake collapsed (this was before I started using the SPS system). I meant the whole thing shifted and collapsed like crazy!! Mine was a paid cake though and they guy paid me anyway because he loved my Red Velvet cake (he was a regular client of mine). Thank GOD they served it from the kitchen and not many people got to see it! This was seriously a great save. You should be proud.

Tashablueyes Posted 23 Aug 2008 , 5:44pm
post #9 of 12

Yeah, I wouldn't call this a disaster, it looks like someone bumped it or something, but the quality is such that I wouldn't even have blamed you for it. Stuff happens and the cake is still beautiful and standing

Narie Posted 23 Aug 2008 , 6:09pm
post #10 of 12

I'm sure the women who arranged the Susan G. Kolman event were very pleased; and as a BC survivor who has attended such events, I would have thought it was fantastic. If you are a BC survivor, a minor flaw on a magnificent cake is absolutely nothing. Survivors are just thrilled to be able to attend and are in a very up beat mood from start to finish. It would take a total collapse to 'rain on their parade.'

seasonsmoke Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 1:24am
post #11 of 12

It was a wonderful cake and so very nice of you to give them the cake for free. What a shame the 3rd teir had problems. After all the hard work that went into the cake.

lilahcakes Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 6:54pm
post #12 of 12

Its so beautiful i can tell you put soo much hard work into it . Im so sorry that happened.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%