Bitter Aftertaste???? What Happened? Help!

Decorating By gonnabeamd6 Updated 18 Aug 2008 , 3:32am by redpanda

gonnabeamd6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gonnabeamd6 Posted 17 Aug 2008 , 11:31pm
post #1 of 3

So I tried an apple cake recipe from this site tonight and have never been more disappointed in my life. It smelled great, crusted (the top) great, but after chewing it for a few seconds there was this TERRIBLE bitter aftertaste. Any idea what might have gone wrong?????? I used clean pans, fresh apples, and other normal ingerdients......
I am at a loss and open to ideas as to what the heck ruined my cakes..... PLEASE!

2 replies
taxnerd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
taxnerd Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 1:05am
post #2 of 3

Did the recipe call for spices like cinnamon, nutmeg and/or cloves. If so, are your spices fresh? As they age, I think some of then take on an odd taste. The other possibility is the type of apples. They aren't quite in season yet where I live, so it can be hard to find good ones right now. When I can get them I ususally use MacIntosh for baking. I know alot of people disagree with this because they turn to mush when cooked, but that's exactly why I like them. They're also fairly sweet. If you happened to get sour apples, either because they're not in season or because of the type of apple, you may not have added enough sugar to counteract this resulting in a sour or sometimes bitter taste.

redpanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redpanda Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 3:32am
post #3 of 3

Could you have put in too much baking powder? That can have a very bitter after-taste.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%