The Nose Knows And Other Funny Tales From Cake Decorators...

Decorating By NikkiDoc Updated 18 Aug 2008 , 1:39am by playingwithsugar

NikkiDoc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NikkiDoc Posted 17 Aug 2008 , 7:44pm
post #1 of 4

MIL and I took my DDs to Chuck E. Cheese yesterday. It was very crowded. There were lots of birthdays in the back area and rows of tables full of nondescript grocery store cakes. I was on my way to take my 3 year old to the bathroom when I smelled...REAL BUTTER buttercream! It smelled so good in comparison to the others. So I started to look for the evidence to see if I was correct. In the vicinity of the aroma, across from a row of tables where people were eating some really good looking white cake, I saw it. A box from a bakery with the name stamped on it, not a grocery store box. I smiled to myself while everyone looked at me strangely as I passed by. (After all, I was eyeing their bakery box a little more than the average person as I walked by. It was closed and I couldn't see what was left of the cake...darn!) So for the rest of the day I was craving cake...and still today I am craving cake! If I could reach through my computer... My DD's birthday party is not until next Sunday...can I hold out til then or will I eat it all as I am trying to make the cake?

So what is your funny Cake Story?

3 replies
playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 17 Aug 2008 , 9:44pm
post #2 of 4

My grandmother was not much of a baker, but she was a fabulous cook. She would take on any country's cuisine, and make it her own.

Her theory on baking or roasting was that if she could smell it in the living room, it was done. That included coffee, which she made in a stove-top percolator.

Years later I realized that this theory works. No matter where I have lived, once I could smell the food/cake in the living room, I knew it was done. Works better than a toothpick.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 12:53am
post #3 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by playingwithsugar

Her theory on baking or roasting was that if she could smell it in the living room, it was done. That included coffee, which she made in a stove-top percolator.

icon_lol.gif THat's exactly what I do! I never use a timer, never look at a clock. Since I'm baking all day long, I just dont' smell it anymore ... so when I DO smell it, I know they're done.

I'll be working at my desk, get a whiff of cookies, and will yell in to my girls, "Cookies are done! Check 'em!" icon_lol.gif

Hubby gets ticked at me when we go out to eat ... I can't just eat a meal. I'm sitting there, dissecting the dish, figuring out what's in it so I can duplicate it!

And I also used to work at a cremation casket manufacturing company ... you should see me at funerals!!! icon_surprised.gificon_lol.gif

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 1:39am
post #4 of 4

Oh, my, I dissect my food, too! I'm always observing ingredients, presentation, etc. I drive my family crazy, because when we go out, I ask to smell their orders, and then I tell them what seasonings are in it. I've already sent a meat loaf platter back because they put oregano in it. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%