Sps V.s. Sfs Cake Support Systems

Decorating By SweetDreams Updated 19 Aug 2008 , 7:17am by xstitcher

SweetDreams Posted 17 Aug 2008 , 7:35pm
post #1 of 10

Hi all,

I just wanted your opinion on if there is any difference (as far as one being better than the other) between the SPS support systems and the SFS support systems.

I have a stacked 6 or 7 tier cake and want to make sure that sucker will not have a problem staying up as far as support goes. I know the SFS system is more expensive but don't know if it is really necessarily better for stacked cakes or not.

Anyone used either one or both and have comments?

Thanks for the help

9 replies
tiggy2 Posted 17 Aug 2008 , 8:27pm
post #2 of 10

Unless you do a lot of stacked cakes to offset the cost of the sfs I would go with the sps. Leahs can tell you everything you want to know about that sytem. She's been using it for years and swears by it. She transports her cakes stacked with it without any problems.

Shelly4481 Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 4:20pm
post #3 of 10

I have the SFS and love it, I do charge a $25.00 fee to use them and they have paid for them selves. No one has ever said they didn't want to use them. They will not fall and love that I can adjust the height easily and everyone has been very willing to get them back to me.

JodieF Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 9:58pm
post #4 of 10

I just used SPS for the biggest cake I've ever done. It was 5 tiers, 18 inch square, 16, 12, 9 and 6 inch rounds. That thing weighed 88 pounds! You can see it in my photos...my more recent cake.

The SPS was easy to use and the cake felt very well supported. An elderly lady even bumped the cake table pretty hard. I will use it again for any large cakes I have to do. icon_biggrin.gif

Jodie

Tallmama Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 10:08pm
post #5 of 10

I love the SFS no cutting of anything. Yes it's expensive but I don't have to worry about my cake falling. I have even used it with my topsy tervy cakes and it has worked great. Just get a deposit from your client for the parts used. Then you don't have to worry about it if it isn't returned. No one will want a usless cake support system and will almost always return it.

karensue Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 10:14pm
post #6 of 10

I use the SFS system and LOVE it. I just transported a four-tier (14", 12" 8" and 6") stacked wedding cake up and down hills, over a gravel road, and around curves and didn't have any problem. I also used a dowel through the bottom three layers, and then another through all four that I left sticking up so that I could remove it once I got to the reception. Because this cake didn't have a topper, I simply made two small fondant hearts to place over the hole -- worked perfectly. Yeah, it's sometimes a hassle to charge a deposit and wait to get the pieces back, but I haven't had a problem. For me, they've paid for themselves many times over because I don't have to worry about anything shifting or collasping. And I, too, really like that I can adjust the height of the legs because my cakes don't always come out to the the same height. I've found it's easier to twist the leg a few more times then add or take off icing.

SharonK1973 Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 10:31pm
post #7 of 10

What does SFS mean and where do I get it?

SharonK1973 Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 10:57pm
post #8 of 10

...also, has anyone used those cake jacks from sugarcraft? The ones that you screw up or down to adjust for height instead of a dowel. I am thinking of buying some, but just wanted to check if anyone has had any experience with them.

sari66 Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 12:55am
post #9 of 10

sharon, you can find sfs at weddingcakesupports. com

xstitcher Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 7:17am
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonK1973

What does SFS mean and where do I get it?

I've seen the acronym SFS used for the following: stress free system, stress free support and according to the above website stress free cake supports.

But anyway you slice it's still the same! icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%