My Imbc Cake Is Sweating!!! Help!!

Decorating By ladyonzlake Updated 18 Aug 2008 , 12:18am by ladyonzlake

ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 17 Aug 2008 , 7:14pm
post #1 of 8

YIKES! I'm delivering this wedding cake which is frosted with IMBC and when I took it out of the frig. to touch it up and put supports in it I noticed that it's sweating...dripping water down the sides!! Anyone have this problem? Will it be okay?

7 replies
ladyonzlake Posted 17 Aug 2008 , 7:56pm
post #2 of 8

Okay, so I"m delivering in a couple of hours so I took the cakes out of the frig. and have a fan on them so that the drops of condesation evaporate before it makes a huge mess. I sure hope this helps! If anyone else has had this happen or thoughts of what to do I'd sure appreciate some input!

It's not normally hot and humid here in the Seattle area so this is a new experience for me and of course it has to happen with a huge wedding cake!!!

seagoat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
seagoat Posted 17 Aug 2008 , 8:15pm
post #3 of 8

Not sure with IMBC.

Good luck and here is a bump for you!

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 17 Aug 2008 , 8:26pm
post #4 of 8

It's from the humidity in the air. I use SMBC and when I take cakes out of the fridge I put them in my office (aka The Cake Den) with the AC on full balst and then after a while I will bring them out to the kitchen. It helps to prevent that condensation. If it's really humid I will turn off the AC and leave the cake in the office for a while before taking the cake out.. by letting it come to room temp gradually you will cut way back on the condensation. So long as they are evaporating and not pooling at the bottom of the tiers your cake will be fine. icon_smile.gif

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 17 Aug 2008 , 9:14pm
post #5 of 8

I had the exact same problem yesterday. I was sitting in an airconditioned room I honestly don't think it was humidity. It was either bad egg whites, or a mixing problem. The reason I say not humidity. I made another batch two hours later that was fine. That's why I think it was the egg whites. It also wasn't from the cake sweating. I ended up scraping off the sweaty stuff, and crumb coat was fine. I applied new frosting, and it worked out well. The lady showed up as I was doing the writing. icon_biggrin.gif

Mike

ladyonzlake Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 12:11am
post #6 of 8

Well, I've delivered the cake and it turned out fine...boy I was nervous about puddles forming from the condensation but the fan trick and airconditionig worked! Thanks everyone! Here's a picture of it!
LL

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 12:13am
post #7 of 8

Beautiful Jacqui!!

ladyonzlake Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 12:18am
post #8 of 8

Thank you! I was so glad to get this one delivered!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%