Bridal Shower "bride" Cake

Decorating By Deb_ Updated 18 Aug 2008 , 3:38pm by Shelly4481

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 17 Aug 2008 , 12:42pm
post #1 of 5

Hi, I am a new member, just joined yesterday....and I'm already addicted!

I am making a 2 tiered (14 and 10") cake, each tier will be 2 layers and filled with chocolate oreo bc, with a bride doll on top for a bridal shower.

This cake is for Sunday August 24th.

To make this process as stress free as possible, I would like to be able to make the bride ahead of time. It will be a pound cake covered with a thin layer of buttercream and than fondant.

My question is how many days ahead of time can I safely bake and decorate the bride so that it is still fresh enough to serve on Sunday at the shower?

I have never frozen any of my cakes in the past, but after looking at some of the posts on this site, I noticed it is done by quite a few people.

I'd appreciate any input and suggestions.

P.S. I've only used fondant on dummy wedding cakes in the past, I've never actually eaten it, (except when I've tasted a piece while decorating). I honestly didn't think it tasted that great (I used the Wilton pre-made). How does it taste on a cake?

4 replies
Lenette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lenette Posted 17 Aug 2008 , 12:52pm
post #2 of 5

Hi there and welcome! icon_smile.gif

First IMO (and many others) Wilton is about the worst tasting fondant on the market. It is good for dummies and practice though.

Other brands of fondant can be quite tasty. Keep in mind also that one typically only gets a small amount of fondant on a piece of cake. By the time you combine the cake and bc with a small amount of fondant the taste is fine. Most folks are not familiar with the texture and peel it off, that's okay too.

Some other brands of fondant to try are

Satin Ice (good)
ChocoPan (tastiest IMO)
Fondarific (haven't tasted it yet but smells yummy)
Fondx (also pretty tasty to me)

Again these are my thoughts. Hope you can try some of these though to get a feel for what is out there.

As for baking, I have baked up to a week ahead and frozen the undecorated cake (well wrapped) with good results. Everyone has a different method but I cool mine completely first. I don't know about decorating then freezing, I've never tried that.

HTH and Good luck with the cake! icon_smile.gif

jibbies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jibbies Posted 17 Aug 2008 , 1:01pm
post #3 of 5

Welcome to CC.
I use Satin Ice I get it from intotheoven.com I only use Wilton for practice or something that won't be eaten. I know it kinda late to order, so if you get stuck with using wilton's fondant add some flavor to it almond helps a gret deal also make sure you have a really good buttercream underneath to help with the taste. I usually bake on Thursday for a wedding on Saturday, you can always bake, cool put back in pan and wrap with plastic wrap and then let come to room temp if you are worried about freezing your cake. Don't forget to post pictures and again Welcome!

Jibbies

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 12:32pm
post #4 of 5

Thanks so much for your suggestions....I took your advice and ordered the satin fondant from intotheoven.com and I should have it by Friday.

I will definitely post my pictures!

Shelly4481 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shelly4481 Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 3:38pm
post #5 of 5

If you ever get in a pinch and need some fast you can make some Marshmallow Fondant. It is quite tasty(IMO) you can flavor it with different flavorings.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%