...fix My Smbc?

Decorating By tomatoqeen Updated 17 Aug 2008 , 3:26pm by Hawkette

tomatoqeen Posted 17 Aug 2008 , 6:37am
post #1 of 4

OK, I finally did it. I made SMBC. I used the Very Vanilla SMBC recipe, but I used Wilton's clear vanilla extract and all salted butter. Let's just start by saying that I love the silky texture and light flavor, but I think it is a little buttery for me. I am a newbie when it comes to baking (I usually am a doctored mix baker) and I usually stick to American BCs or whipped toppings (Chocolate Bettercreme or Frostin Pride). With that being said, does using unsalted butter make that much of a difference in flavor? The recipe calls for half salted and half unsalted. Also, what is the difference between pure vanilla and pure vanilla extract/clear vanilla extract? Can anyone recommend a good vanilla?

Is there anything I can add to "fix" the butteriness? I did end up adding wedding bouquet flavoring because the vanilla extract was a little weak for my palate and it tastes wonderful! But I still get the underlying butter. Just wondering what I could use to lessen the butter slightly.

I will be icing the cake tomorrow. Should I re-mix the SMBC after taking it out of the fridge? Sorry so long...thanks for your help!

3 replies
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 17 Aug 2008 , 10:07am
post #2 of 4

well... you should've used unsalted butter first off. when i first made SMBC i dismissed it as too buttery for my taste but when i made it the second time i used unsalted butter and it tasted so much better, like vanilla ice cream icon_smile.gif did you put the amount of vanilla as in the recipe? i don't know if it will mask the buttery flavor, maybe lessen it a bit.

if you put your SMBC in the fridge wait until it comes up to room temp and then just whip it again until it's spreadable. icon_smile.gif

tomatoqeen Posted 17 Aug 2008 , 2:57pm
post #3 of 4

Yeah -- I kinda thought the unsalted butter was the culprit. I just never use unsalted and don't have it around the house. Looks like I need to keep some handy! Thanks for your help!

Hawkette Posted 17 Aug 2008 , 3:26pm
post #4 of 4

Ooooh, I was planning on trying this today. Thanks for the tip! Off to the store for some unsalted butter now. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%