Whimsical Cakes

Decorating By rudoo Updated 18 Aug 2008 , 5:56pm by Omicake

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 3:18pm
post #31 of 37

Is it ok to try one of these in a 6" and 8" so if I mess it up it's not much wasted cake? Or can't you do a topsy this small? Thanks to all.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 3:27pm
post #32 of 37

Yes you can do small topsy's...I have done them in 2 tiers
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 4:15pm
post #33 of 37

Thyanks JKalman and Edna- when you put it like that it seems easy-I guess I've just been too chicken to try icon_biggrin.gif

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 4:17pm
post #34 of 37

I say...It's only sugar!...
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 4:48pm
post #35 of 37

LOL Edna.. I'm glad I'm not alone too.. and I agree.. it's only sugar. Make one for yourself and practice.. if it falls over.. oh well.. I see it as a cake that just needs some milk and a fork.. no cutting involved.. icon_lol.gificon_wink.gif

mamacc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamacc Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 5:14pm
post #36 of 37

You can make them any size you want. I always use central dowels with spikes to make sure they don't tip over or anything.

I also do them both ways depending on the design of the cake. I think that using the wedge method is probably the easier one since you are just using regular round cakes. And what I've been doing lately with the carved TT cakes is to cover the cake and let it set up a little BEFORE cutting the hole. I've had issues in the past with the fondant pulling down that top edge because of the hole... You really do need a firm cake to do the carved kind too. If the cake is soft don't carve in the sides as much or as much of an angle. I've learned that the hard wayicon_smile.gif

Omicake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Omicake Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 5:56pm
post #37 of 37

Thanks for all the input, I've never dared to try one of these TT.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%