Buttercream Icing Blow Out

Decorating By GipsyGourmet Updated 17 Aug 2008 , 1:29pm by GipsyGourmet

GipsyGourmet Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 11:53pm
post #1 of 7

What causes the buttercream icing to create air bubbles and blow out the icing? icon_cry.gif I went to a birthday party where I decorated the cake with chocolate buttercream (thank goodness it was the smash cake) and noticed on the side of the cake there was a blow out. It was not there when it left our business, so I'm not sure when it happened. No one else noticed, or if they did, they did not say anything, but I noticed and it causes me concern. I'm decorating my first wedding cake the end of this month and I do not want to have blow outs in my icing. I've decorated many, many cakes and this is my first blow out. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

6 replies
jibbies Posted 17 Aug 2008 , 12:24am
post #2 of 7

Here's a bump

Jibbies

flamingobaker Posted 17 Aug 2008 , 12:26am
post #3 of 7

OOOH I hate it when that happens, too! icon_mad.gif

I read somewhere on here that if you beat slowly and for no more than 5? minutes that it should be less.

JodieF Posted 17 Aug 2008 , 12:26am
post #4 of 7

Did you let the cakes settle before you did the final coat of icing? Most of the pros here fill and crumb coat and then let the cakes settle overnight. Then they do the final icing and decorating.

Jodie

sandykay Posted 17 Aug 2008 , 2:55am
post #5 of 7

I don't crumb coat, I have be fortunate enough not tohave that happen, but I use a cake icer tip, but you have to make sure your icing is firmly attached to you cake other wise it will create air pockets, which cause bumps. When I ice with just a spatula I also make sure to push to adhear the icing to the cake. I hope that makes sense, and helps.

karensue Posted 17 Aug 2008 , 1:04pm
post #6 of 7

I have found that I get more air bubbles and blowouts when I refrigerate a cake, so I don't do that anymore. I also think I had problems when my cake was a little too moist, so now I make sure the surface is nice and dry before I ice.

GipsyGourmet Posted 17 Aug 2008 , 1:29pm
post #7 of 7

I put the cake in the frig after it was iced, I truly believe this caused the blow out. Thanks so much. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%