Please Help Asap On Mmf!!!

Decorating By vickymacd Updated 18 Aug 2008 , 12:17am by vickymacd

vickymacd Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 9:41pm
post #1 of 12

So far the cake I have to make for tomorrow was going well till I brought out the MMF I made 3 days ago. It's tougher than tough! I've made this several times and naturally when I really need it, it's yuck!!

Is there anything I can do to soften it up so I can roll it out? I've tried nuking it, but the MMF itself is just tough. Please help!!!

11 replies
aztomcat Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 9:50pm
post #2 of 12

The easiest thing i have done is dribbled it with water, wrapped in saran and nuked it for a minute as so. It sounds dry to me.

valnorman Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 9:51pm
post #3 of 12

I'm not that experienced, but I just made some MMF today and hope I don't have this problem! I always nuke it for 10 sec at a time and work it with my hands criscoed up. It usually softens up after about 3 or 4 goes. It seems the longer it has sat, the more crisco it soaks up, but I just keep loading up my hands. I hope it works for you, but I saw that no one else had said anything yet and I thought I would try to help?!? Good Luck!

raquel1 Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 9:53pm
post #4 of 12

I would also add the bit of water. Maybe crisco your hands and try to knead some water in ant then nuke it. Good luck

vickymacd Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 9:56pm
post #5 of 12

Yes, it's definately dry!! Will try the crisco! Thanks, and if that doesn't work, I'll add a bit of water too. Thank you all so much for such fast response!!

SUELA Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 9:58pm
post #6 of 12

Adding some glycerin might help to, adding some elasticity back.

vickymacd Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 10:16pm
post #7 of 12

Thank you everyone!!! You saved me and this cake!!!! I sweat it out for so long making cakes as it's always beautiful in my head but when it comes out of my brain, it goes down the tubes!!!

The crisco worked!! Lots of it!!! I'm only half way done wrapping the fondant around the cake, but couldn't wait to thank all of you!!!
Now I WILL get the cake done tonight!!!

It's not like I'm getting paid for this cake either, but I stress about them. It's for my daughters work as she is going back up to school tomorrow.

Hearfelt thanks!!!! Will post when done....hopefully!!!!
Vicky

KonfectionKonnection Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 10:27pm
post #8 of 12

It's funny you had a problem today, too--I've made MMF w/out problems before, but today just couldn't get it smoothed out. I ended up adding more Criso than usual, just trying to get it smooth enough to roll out. Maybe the air is dry today? (The Crisco really helped me out, as well.)

Glad your cake is turning out alright! (Mine was just for practice, but you still hate for them to turn out poorly.)

vickymacd Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 11:34pm
post #9 of 12

Here's the finished cake. Not great as I got frustrated with the MMF. It actually doesn't look as bumpy in person as the pic shows. But you all saved me and this cake!!!!
LL

ctucker Posted 17 Aug 2008 , 1:27am
post #10 of 12

I have a hard time imagining nuking MMF for 10 seconds..let alone a minute. I go for 3-5 seconds and it comes out perfect. After that it dries it out even more. ??

KonfectionKonnection Posted 17 Aug 2008 , 10:52pm
post #11 of 12

Neat cake--The color looks perfect for BBQ sauce! (That must have been difficult!) thumbs_up.gif

vickymacd Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 12:17am
post #12 of 12

Thanks! The color turned perfect by the next morning so I was happy. The carving, the label, everything was turning out okay till the MMF. never had that happen before, but it ended up great thanks to all of you. I know I keep saying thanks, but I really mean it!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%